Bad: Man dies in suicide at Hillsborough gun range

This is a discussion on Bad: Man dies in suicide at Hillsborough gun range within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; TAMPA A man died after committing suicide at a shooting range Sunday afternoon, authorities said. The man was in one of the shooting stalls ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Man dies in suicide at Hillsborough gun range

Bad: Man dies in suicide at Hillsborough gun range

TAMPA A man died after committing suicide at a shooting range Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

The man was in one of the shooting stalls at Shoot Straight, 3909 N U.S. 301, when he shot himself shortly before 4 p.m., according to Hillsborough County sheriff's officials...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...-range/1140989
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

2. Remove Ads

Wow another one. Seems like this is always happening every 3 months or so.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    Wow these are getting more frequent I bet there are new rules and hoops to jump through to be allowed to shoot at an organized range. Makes me glad I have my own and I feel sorry for all you guys that can only shoot at a public range. Pretty soon we won't be able to rent guns at all and will have to buy them before shooting them but that won't stop sucides either.

Senior Moderator
    No amount of stupid range rules or hoops to jump through is going to be able to prevent someone from killing themselves at the range if thats what they want to do.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyColby View Post
    Wow these are getting more frequent I bet there are new rules and hoops to jump through to be allowed to shoot at an organized range. Makes me glad I have my own and I feel sorry for all you guys that can only shoot at a public range. Pretty soon we won't be able to rent guns at all and will have to buy them before shooting them but that won't stop sucides either.
    Shoot Straight is a chain and they had this happen (Actually murder suicide IIRC) at one of their Orlando shops. They had stopped renting and had just recently began renting again. So much for that...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Is this a ploy that the Liberal anti-gun people are attempting? Going to gun ranges and shooting themselves to make guns look dangerous? Are Liberals really this desperate?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    Shoot Straight is a chain and they had this happen (Actually murder suicide IIRC) at one of their Orlando shops. They had stopped renting and had just recently began renting again. So much for that...
    That was the mother who shot her son, then herself, right?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Yep, the one where the mother shot her son, then herself .....

Warning ! ! ! ! ! ! This shows the actual footage during a news broadcast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vPnM...eature=channel
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

IIRC, they rented even after the Casselberry mother-son incident. I know because I've since rented guns from there without a problem- I believe they stipulated that single shooters must bring one of their own weapons before they can rent.

East Orange Shooting Sports (the range I now normally frequent) has a similar policy. I think that's reasonable (range policy, not law). They had a similar murder-suicide incident there recently- though the guy killed his girlfriend at her apartment, then drove to the range to kill himself.

People should at least have the common decency to off themselves in private- don't ruin others' lives because yours is miserable.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Is this a ploy that the Liberal anti-gun people are attempting? Going to gun ranges and shooting themselves to make guns look dangerous? Are Liberals really this desperate?
    That wouldn't be surprising, but no. Gun rental is simply a cheap, effective way to skirt past the waiting period and background checks- alas, you can still blame the antis for gun range suicides.
    Ek = 1/2 (m*v^2)

Quote Originally Posted by DUNDEM View Post
    Wow another one. Seems like this is always happening every 3 months or so.
    Not good for sure. I don't realize what's behind it all. Range suicides. Perplexing to say the least. I'm almost sure the media will be feeding off these occurrences and portraying evil things. I hate to see that happen. IMO........if you feel you have to do it....keep it at home. I know that might come across as cold in a way.....but public displays of quitting life pretty much suck in general. Do it at home if you have to do it. I'd rather be picking up brass at the range than finding blood, brain matter, and calling the cops when I get there to shoot. I'm asking all suicidal range goers to have a little respect for the rest of us. If you can't clean up after yourself and your range session, then don't come to the range!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    We have had several suicides recently where I live. Many people here are unemployed, or even homeless.

And many people who are all alone for the holidays, can become very depressed.

So combine high unemployment with the holiday season, and it is only to be expected that we would have a jump in suicides right now.

This was an indoor range that has a number of different handguns available to rent. Odds are that he probably rented one of these guns to kill himself. That was why he had to kill himself at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    People should at least have the common decency to off themselves in private- don't ruin others' lives because yours is miserable.
    There's always the back lot of the medical examiner's office.
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Odds are that he probably rented one of these guns to kill himself. That was why he had to kill himself at the range.
    That's exactly what happened. I have a friend who works there and he told me about the suicide. It was done with a rental gun.

As Ramrod said it, it's a shame they have to do this in public. It ruins everything for the rest of us. I find a lot of camaraderie at the range and appreciate the many people who let me take a few shots with their firearms. I imagine people are a lot more hesitant to do that after incidents like this. On top of that, I'm sure it destroyed the experience for any new shooters who where there and where on the fence about guns. Now they are probably back on the "guns are bad" side of things.
    "Bolt actions speak louder than words."

I've been through a suicide at the range where I work. We have tried to find a way to prevent it and haven't had any luck. The FDLE won't even let us perform an instant background check on renters. All we have now is a few questions on our rental paperwork that ask stuff like "are you suicidal or homicidal" etc. That was mandated by our insurance company and is obviously useless.

If the guy had jumped in front of a bus it wouldn't have even made page 9 below the fold of the classified ads.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links