Bad: Providence program destroys childrens toy guns

This is a discussion on Bad: Providence program destroys childrens toy guns within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.boston.com/news/local/rho...uns/?page=full...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Providence program destroys childrens toy guns

Bad: Providence program destroys childrens toy guns

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I knew a fellow from a strict Jewish family where both his mother and father were strongly anti-gun, and thus refused to allow him to have any toy guns.

Their ban was so strong and uncompromising, that he vowed that once he was an adult he would own some guns. Sure enough, by the time he was in Medical school, he had bought a number of firearms. He ended up becoming an avid Deer hunter, and also got a concealed carry license, since as a psychiatrist he worked with some people who were very disturbed.

So if anything, the efforts of his parents only made him rebel more, and want to have guns all the more. Their strategy completely backfired.

LanceOrygun,

Your friend as described is me IRL.
    Seriously.

That so mirrors my own life experience to a tee...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't even know where to start.....
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    It gives liberals such a warm and fuzzy feeling to destroy a child’s toy rather than attack the real root of the problem. It may be dangerous and scary but go after the criminal behind the gun instead.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    So if anything, the efforts of his parents only made him rebel more, and want to have guns all the more. Their strategy completely backfired..
    Something of the "Forbidden Fruit Syndrome" I think.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I don't even know where to start.....
    That was kind of my reaction. The more I read the more jaw drops and face palms I encountered.

I guess we will never run out of sheep to throw to the wolves.

(start sarcasm)It is good to know that when these kids grow up there will not be ANY guns on the street of Providence... (end sarcasm)
    Providence have had a few of these gun (real guns) buyback programs as well. Several of my friends have taken their junk guns that doesn't work anymore to exchange them for gift cards. I hope they bought ammo for the money.

Words fail me. My heart went out to that little boy who's mother forced him to destroy his toy.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member
    I grew up in RI, my parents bought me toy guns. Boy times have changed.

Welcome to LA-LA land.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I bought the boy toy guns for christmas this year

Prodded by Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch, who wore a fuzzy Santa hat, the children stared curiously as the Bash-O-Matic mashed up their guns and digested them into a plastic bin near its tail.
    Attorney General Patrick C. Lynch = Burgermiester Meister Burger
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Just now reading the article...The writer is equally sad as is this concept.

"Dominic Johnson, a 10-year-old fourth-grader with a fledgling Mohawk, brandished his black, long-nosed toy gun and caressed the muzzle appreciatively."
    The use of 'brandished' in this sentence does not fit as specifically related to firearms.

"...all the children received wrapped presents that were indisputably not violent — dolls, stuffed animals, and board games like checkers."
    Squirt guns are NOT violent!

"Malik Hall, a round-eyed second-grader, looked apprehensive as he stood in line with his favorite toy, a thick, blue gun with plastic sword underneath the muzzle."
    It's not a sword lady!

"In kindergarten, he brought a pop gun to school and shot at a classmate when the child refused to return his toy truck....“He had it in his pants like a gangster,’’ Hall said. "
    This is not the fault of guns...That is poor parenting as at home. where did he learn such things? From mom, dad and what they allow him to _learn_ from TV (!).
    Further they espouse non-violence how?
    By creating a hideous looking _monster_ with a horrible appearance and simulated fang teeth (see pic) that is part frog part cockroach (!) as described by the writer....For the children to 'feed'.
    Nice.

Meanwhile yesterday I arrived at my sons pre-school to pick him up when one of the teachers commented with a broad smile that my son drew a "lovely picture of you today".
    So I go look at the pictures and they are these two...

'Dad wearing a gun holster shooting his bow in the backyard'

Note: I don't wear a gun nor holster never mind open carry when practicing bow. : p
    His target with the red dots is nearly exactly how my actual target looks.

'Dad shooting a rifle, while wearing a gun holster'

Note: Within my home I make no secret of the fact that I carry, outside my home. My kids have seen all my gear including me wearing various type of holsters. It is their normal.
    As well he did a very good job of drawing the rifle as it is my newest one I'd picked up a week ago and he's only seen once...The stock is just like that in shape too only being black. Savage Mark II TRR with wooden Boyds tactical rifle stock.

Last night over dinner while talking about the kids day at school my daughter (8) and wife got ll excited when I showed them the bow picture in specific...They are going to matte and frame it.
    Additionally I literally just got in from picking my son up today at his pre-school and all three of the teachers there stood around us as I was getting his coat and stuff together commenting that they really like his drawings and that he drew another of me today (me shooting at a deer as hunting) and they liked it so much they decided to keep it to themself frame and hang on their wall among their long term collection of student art.
    Note his pre-school sits on and is supported directly by a private liberal arts college which is in a liberal town with attending kids largely being those of professors and administrators.

Yesterday I bought my son a Nerf pistol which he's been asking me about since May every time we go to Wal-Mart.
    I can't imagine wrenching any of his toys away at risk of him being so hurt as to cry or even look t me "stonily" and walk away saying nothing in response. That is just wrong, in my book.
    Especially when the problem is not the child nor the product (toy) but rather the _parent_ and the manner of parenting.

I can only imagine the horror and thoughts that these people in the article, including the writer, might react to me, my son & his drawings of 'violence' as well as my own manner of being a parent.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Especially when the problem is not the child nor the product (toy) but rather the _parent_ and the manner of parenting.

- Janq
    Next thing you know they'll be banning the toys in Happy Meals because they "market" to children when the real issue is again the parent who can't say NO.

Oh wait...

;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links