Ohio firearms training officer accidently shoots himself

This is a discussion on Ohio firearms training officer accidently shoots himself within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod Training? You know I'm going to go off a little bit about training and the trainers here no matter what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ohio firearms training officer accidently shoots himself

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Training? You know I'm going to go off a little bit about training and the trainers here no matter what sort of training was involved.
    Had a plant wide safety coordinator sponsor a training class on the use of fire extinguishers a few years ago. To start the fires, he brought out diesel fuel and matches. For the next 15 minutes we watched as he attempted to light the diesel fuel in the fire-box with matches. More diesel......strike, strike, strike. Another box of matches....more diesel. I'd have been totally fed up by now if it weren't for me getting paid by the hour to take "training". If I was paying him for training, I'd have lit him on fire and asked for volunteers to put him out. Sometimes the trainers are the ones to look out for. They don't always know what they should even though they are portrayed as the top gun on the job. It all lies with taking responsibility, and being as smart as a human should be at this point in time. Reasons the government feels the need to step in and take control is because people are irresponsible and a risk to themselves as well as others. Personally.....I'm tired of idgets solidifying the case against us.
    No instructor "accidentally" shoots himself. Negligence is the word, and I seldom feel any sympathy for an individual's negligence although I do feel the rest of us pay for the act. Simple enough....now that the responsibility of the individual (well trained human) isn't accepted.....we'll blame an inanimate object such as a pistol in an attempt to make an excuse as to why a tragedy occurred. While it won't dawn on us for days that the tragedy should have occurred, and the individual involved learned something that obviously proper training couldn't provide. Glock? It's a tool just like all the rest of them. I'm personally sick of idgets that take us all down a notch when they screw up. When they heal from their personally inflicted injuries.....they should be rode out of town. Yeah....we all make mistakes right? I don't want to hear any more of that garbage either. A personal mistake is acceptable if it doesn't affect anyone else. A pro shooting himself affects everyone who carries a gun on or off the job and every civilian asking for leniency with the federal government to continue with their given rights. How do I really feel? Sick and tired of idgets screwing things up for the rest of us. You want to blame Glock? Go right ahead.....forget everything you know to be true. There is no excuse.
    Boom !
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Did he die?

"Cause of death: descendant was a dumb***."

Did he live?

"Discharge note: descendant is still a dumb***."
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The history of cops and leg shots suggests to me that it was a Glock.

The story said he shot himself while UN-hostering - this cop gets extra points for originality. Details should prove interesting.
    In all my years of intensive research (granted its the unreliable Internet, but that's the best I wish to do), I have yet to find a case where a Glock accidently fires. I've seen numerous S&Ws, but no Glocks.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    In all my years of intensive research (granted its the unreliable Internet, but that's the best I wish to do), I have yet to find a case where a Glock accidently fires. I've seen numerous S&Ws, but no Glocks.
    Do some digging into shooting "accidents" with the Phoenix PD. They have a leg shot about every 18 months, it seems. Oh, yeah, the issue gun is a Glock.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Do some digging into shooting "accidents" with the Phoenix PD. They have a leg shot about every 18 months, it seems. Oh, yeah, the issue gun is a Glock.
    That's some embarrassing statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    idget.

An Arkansas word if there ever was one. I thought I was the only one that used it.
    My wife asked me what it was once. I told her that it was a idiot with a passion, or a passionate idiot.
    Not just Arkansas, "idiot" with an Irish dialect is pronounced "idget", and sometimes in Irish plays, written like that.

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    That's some embarrassing statistics.
    Glocks do not cause leg wounds or any other kind of wound and did not in Phoenix. With the number in use all over the world, if they did you'd have been hearing of it in the major presses of the world a long time ago. Operator-error causes almost all gun accidents and there is no evidence or records that Glock's record concerning OP error is any different than any other gun's nor would any one gun be used by so many police agencies worldwide if there was such a correlation.

The history of cops and leg shots suggests to me that it was a Glock.

The story said he shot himself while UN-hostering - this cop gets extra points for originality. Details should prove interesting.
    Confirmed: the student discharged his pistol while drawing from a Serpa holster. 9x19 round into his thigh.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I think I know where the ATF guy that shot himself in the leg in that school classroom went
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links