French Truffle Thief Killed By Farmer

This is a discussion on French Truffle Thief Killed By Farmer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; from across the pond: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101222/...JlbmNoZmFybWVy French farmer jailed in shooting over truffles By GREG KELLER PARIS French police have arrested a farmer who ...

Thread: French Truffle Thief Killed By Farmer

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

French Truffle Thief Killed By Farmer

from across the pond:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101222/...JlbmNoZmFybWVy

French farmer jailed in shooting over truffles

By GREG KELLER
    PARIS French police have arrested a farmer who fatally shot a trespasser he suspected of trying to steal highly coveted truffles from his land on the edge of France's southern Provence region.
    The 32-year-old farmer told authorities he was guarding his truffle patch in the town of Grignan when he was frightened by the intruder and shot him in the legs and head with a hunting rifle, police said Wednesday...

continued...
    I have got mixed feelings on this one. Sad to see a life lost and a man jailed over a few hundred dollars of property. Still I hate it when people steal my stuff.

It is possible the shooters fear was real. It is also possible it was not.

Interesting that in Texas, this shoot would probably be legal as it was a theft of property in the night.

Do they sell truffle insurance?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    from across the pond:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101222/...JlbmNoZmFybWVy

I have got mixed feelings on this one. Sad to see a life lost and a man jailed over a few hundred dollars of property. Still I hate it when people steal my stuff.

It is possible the shooters fear was real. It is also possible it was not.

Interesting that in Texas, this shoot would probably be legal as it was a theft of property in the night.

Do they sell truffle insurance?
    The thief gets no sympathy from me. The moment he steals or harms me in any way his life has no value to me. Kudos to the farmer and shame on the police!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hey, it's France! The farmer should have had them picked and wrapped and handed them to the BG when he arrived, then nobody would have got shot!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Those truffles certainly aren't cheap.

I guess the farmer should have quit after he shot the thief in the legs.
    A head shot with a (large caliber) rifle isn't going to end well for the target.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    That's where you got it all wrong. I don't spend my day to day LIFE working to purchase property just so someone else can take it from me. Sorry buster, but my property is a big part of my life. Don't steal it. Some day I'm gonna move to Texas where they appreciate that fact.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Darn tootin' it would've been justified in TX. Don't be messin' with Texas Truffles!!
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    That's where you got it all wrong. I don't spend my day to day LIFE working to purchase property just so someone else can take it from me. Sorry buster, but my property is a big part of my life. Don't steal it. Some day I'm gonna move to Texas where they appreciate that fact.
    Couldn't have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    Tala, I couldn't agree more.
    If more dirtbags were buried for stealing stuff...there would be less stealing of stuff. Someone who gets his stuff (tools and such) stolen is getting his livelihood taken...no mercy from this 'stuff owner'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I dislike thieves very much they simply take what other people have worked hard and legally to get. If more robbers were shot there would be less robberies. Suprised the farmer didn't just scewer the bg with a pitchfork.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.
    People who steal other people efforts are nothing more than Predators and need to be put down just like what we do Coyotes here in Texas.
    You don't retrain Coyotes to stop stealing and killing your property.

They learn by hanging their dead carcassas on the fence post.
    Only it doesn't teach the other Predators not to kill your chickens, it teaches them to steal someone elses chickens.
    If Human Predators want to be rehabilitaed, they need to decide this before they commit another crime.
    Here in Texas we can shoot thieves on our property. Running away after the fact or in the commission of it.

I'm proud to be a Born and Bred Card Carrying Texan.
    And I'm proud of the reputation we are earning with the Human Predators that prey on others.
    They know they can and will most likely die for trying to commit a crime in Texas.
    And if they survive, they definitly do not want to go to a Texas Prison.
    We havn't quite gotten to the Pink Uniforms like in Caracopa County AZ, but we're working that way.

Being soft on crime does nothing but promote crime.
    Wether it be in Paris France or Paris Texas!

This thief knew he was comitting a crime, that's why he did it in the dark!
    And at $500 a pound, it doesn't take much to put a financial hurt on the hard working Farmer.
    Maybe the thief should have been trained to grown his own fungus, then he would have still been alive.
    And someone else could come and stolen them from him......
    Wonder how he would have liked the shoe on the other foot?
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

French farmer jailed in shooting over truffles

By GREG KELLER –
    PARIS – French police have arrested a farmer who fatally shot a trespasser he suspected of trying to steal highly coveted truffles from his land on the edge of France's southern Provence region.
    The 32-year-old farmer told authorities he was guarding his truffle patch in the town of Grignan when he was frightened by the intruder and shot him in the legs and head with a hunting rifle, police said Wednesday...

continued...
    Don't truffle farmers have pigs? Shoulda fed the thief to the pigs.

Michael

dont mess with us farmers/ranchers Texas or otherwise

Links