911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ??

This is a discussion on 911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ?? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Bark'n Any dispatcher worth their weight is going to be spending more time informing the homeowner exactly when the officer arrives on ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 71

Thread: 911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ??

  1. #46
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Any dispatcher worth their weight is going to be spending more time informing the homeowner exactly when the officer arrives on the scene and advising the homeowner the officer may be approaching the house from any direction and in stealth mode, as well as informing the responding officers that the homeowner is armed and has been advised of LEO's presence on scene.
    That is how it should work, but this also assumes that officers status on scene in a timely manner. Many don't. I would say about ten to twenty percent of the time the first clue I had that an officer was on the scene was the caller telling me the officer was ringing the door bell.
    Instead of repeatedly insisting on the homeowner put their weapon away, dispatchers can play a much more critical role keeping both on scene LEO's and the homeowner apprised of what is going on. If they do their job correctly, they are a critical link between the responding LEO's and the homeowner keeping everyone safe.
    But the dispatchers ability to do their job correctly in this case is directly dependent on both the officer and the caller doing their jobs correctly. That means the officers advising their status in a timely fashion and the caller answering the call takers questions. The repetitive persistence is trained to call takers for dealing with uncooperative callers. They will continue to ask the same question over and over again until it is answered. The questions are being asked for a reason. When it is answered they will move on to the next. I have had Sergeants order officers to hold up a few blocks away from the scene until we had more back up for them because callers were refusing to answer questions. Some folks are under the impression it seems that just because they call 9-1-1 the police have to show up, and they have to do it when and under the conditions the caller dictates.
    I can say that in my area, 911 operators simply aren't trained to that level of critical thinking and interaction. And their level of pay for the job reflects that. Sadly, the 911 operators in my area can barely handle rudimentary protocols for both call screening and radio dispatching, frequently omitting critical information when handling both EMS and Law Enforcement calls.
    As a former union rep for dispatchers I will tell you that you get what you pay for. As a former trainer I will tell you you get what you test for. If 80% correct is a passing grade for a skills module you will get an 80% dispatcher. I was at a seminar in Leesbug VA back in the late 1990's Their Chief there was complaining about how hard it was for him to hire and retain quality dispatchers. For starting pay he was offering fifty cents an hour less than the local Mc Donald's was offering for opening crew. Coincidence? I don't think so.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I was checking my local police blotter when I came across an incident that took place two weeks ago.

    A woman called 911, reporting that a bedraggled looking stranger had opened her outside screen door, and was turning the knob of her main front door, which was locked, in an effort to open it. The lady told the operator that she was frightened, and that she had armed herself for her protection.

    The 911 operator instructed the homeowner to immediately put her gun away, and wait for officers to handle the situation. When officers arrived, they found a highly intoxicated man on her doorstep. Finding no existing warrants for the man, they transported him to a substance abuse treatment center.

    Was the 911 operator correct to tell the woman to put her gun away? If you were in a similar situation, would you put your gun away before the police arrived on the scene??

    It turned out in this case that the man posed no threat, and was badly drunk. But what if he had turned out to been dangerous?

    On the other hand, what if she had panicked, and then shot the trespasser?

    .
    It was too premature for the operator to tell her to put away the gun unless the cops have already arrived. As for putting the gun away, I would not until they have already arrived. And, as far as panicking is concerned, that can be mitigated through training and sound judgement. Again, if one is not sure, keep finger off the trigger and keep gun at the low ready.

  4. #48
    Member Array xpertz1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northeast Pa
    Posts
    68
    When you call 911, you give them only the info they need, AND HANG UP. Anything you say is being taped and can be used against you in court. Do not volunteer ANY self-defense methods you might have to use. SAY ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY. The cops will come just because you called.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

  5. #49
    Senior Member Array Bubbiesdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    East TN
    Posts
    1,037
    Anyone here ever watch "The First 48" on A&E? About 99% of the shows start out with a call to 911, and the responding LEOs either find a dead body, or the person dies at the hopspital.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

  6. #50
    Ex Member Array JOHNSMITH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    1,726
    Why would you hang up? You need to keep the dispatcher informed so that she/he can relay the info to responding LE.

  7. #51
    Ex Member Array BikerRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    State of Discombobulation
    Posts
    5,253
    I like to keep it simple:

    Location
    Problem and/or Need (fire, ambulance, police)
    Location

    After that I, most likely, will no longer be communicating with the 911 Operator. The phone line will be left open so that the recording can act as exculpatory evidence on my behalf if needed.

    Biker

  8. #52
    VIP Member Array mcp1810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,943
    Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    When you call 911, you give them only the info they need, AND HANG UP. Anything you say is being taped and can be used against you in court. Do not volunteer ANY self-defense methods you might have to use. SAY ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY. The cops will come just because you called.
    Sure, eventually..... probably....... more than likely. But not always. But if you are calling about a suspicious person in your yard, and all of the units in that area are out looking for that guy but you don't give a good description of him your call might sit in the pending cue for thirty to sixty minutes before it gets looked at. You answer the call takers questions and they can relate the calls you might have officers there in thirty seconds. Your choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Anyone here ever watch "The First 48" on A&E? About 99% of the shows start out with a call to 911, and the responding LEOs either find a dead body, or the person dies at the hopspital.
    Maybe because the title of the show refers to the first forty eight hours of homicide investigations.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

  9. #53
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,228
    Don't tell 911 you have a gun and make it disappear when the police arrive! If necessary, you can tell them about it AFTER they gain control of the situation. (tell, not draw it!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

  10. #54
    Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    When you call 911, you give them only the info they need, AND HANG UP. Anything you say is being taped and can be used against you in court. Do not volunteer ANY self-defense methods you might have to use. SAY ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY. The cops will come just because you called.
    During my self-defense encounter about 3 yrs. ago, I called their operator and she asked if a weapon was used after I reported an injury of the other party and requested and ambulance. She then asked if it was a firearm, I said yes. And, this was after I already fired the shots. Good thing she didn't asked how many shots were fired. Otherwise, I would say that I don't remember. Under stress, most people say the wrong number of rds. that were fired and that's where it will bite them in court.

  11. #55
    Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I like to keep it simple:

    Location
    Problem and/or Need (fire, ambulance, police)
    Location

    After that I, most likely, will no longer be communicating with the 911 Operator. The phone line will be left open so that the recording can act as exculpatory evidence on my behalf if needed.

    Biker
    Exactly. That's where I started. Unless they ask, I don't let them know any further. But it also never hurts to remain on line with the operator as well as give him/her your description to avoid the cops mistaken you for the perp.

  12. #56
    Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Anyone here ever watch "The First 48" on A&E? About 99% of the shows start out with a call to 911, and the responding LEOs either find a dead body, or the person dies at the hopspital.
    A good show. As a matter of fact, the first episode I watched took place in Richmond, VA, my residence then. I also enjoy watching "Rookies" at the Crime and Investigation Channel.

  13. #57
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    I would probably have little or no input on the call as the wife would be doing that while I attended to pressing business.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

  14. #58
    VIP Member
    Array CopperKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spokane area, WA
    Posts
    6,741
    Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    When you call 911, you give them only the info they need, AND HANG UP. ...The cops will come just because you called.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sure, eventually..... probably....... more than likely. But not always. But if you are calling about a suspicious person in your yard, and all of the units in that area are out looking for that guy but you don't give a good description of him your call might sit in the pending cue for thirty to sixty minutes before it gets looked at. You answer the call takers questions and they can relate the calls you might have officers there in thirty seconds. Your choice
    Very good response by mcp. Calls are prioritized by what is happen at your house compared to what is happening with the rest of the community. The people that refuse to give information and hang up are usually exaggerating. If there is a choice to make between high priority incidents with someone giving information and someone hanging up, the officers go to the one with information first. Stay on the line and answer the questions. 911 operators are usually busy enough they don't ask all those questions for their health, there is a reason for them.
    eschew obfuscation

    The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

  15. #59
    New Member Array sellisfam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Perry, GA
    Posts
    1

    Why?

    Why do those committing the crimes or posing a threat always seem to have more rights than the victims?

  16. #60
    Senior Member Array kb2wji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Anyone here ever watch "The First 48" on A&E? About 99% of the shows start out with a call to 911, and the responding LEOs either find a dead body, or the person dies at the hopspital.
    Yes, because the show would be alot less interesting if they used the "other" 99.9999999% of the LEO's calls where someone dials 911, and they get there to find that everything is ok. It's a tv show. Of course they are going to use the homicides, and not the "my room mate slapped me because I ate the last Polly-O string cheese" calls.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Judge tells public to get a gun.
    By UnklFungus in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 13th, 2010, 12:02 AM
  2. Web site tells if you have swine flu
    By randy7601 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 1st, 2009, 12:48 PM
  3. Something tells me i dont want this.
    By Tobashadow in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: July 16th, 2008, 12:07 AM
  4. Police Chief Tells IT Like It Is
    By DOGOFWAR01 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
  5. Cdn. Judge tells Cop to lose his gun.
    By Canuck in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 19th, 2006, 02:50 AM

Search tags for this page

911 call dispatcher tells women to put down gun who then gets
,
911 operator instructed to put away the gun
,

911 operator tells not to defend

,
911 operator tells women not to shoot
,

911 operators are not leo

,

911 tells woman to put gun down

,
911 told woman to drop her gun,
,
dispatcher tells caller to unload pistol
,
dispatcher tells homeowner to unload gun
,
do 911 operators get tunnel vision
,
police dispatcher tells someone to put gun away
,
women raped by comanches
Click on a term to search for related topics.