911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ?? - Page 5

911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ??

This is a discussion on 911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ?? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by sellisfam Why do those committing the crimes or posing a threat always seem to have more rights than the victims? From which ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 911 Operator Tells Homeowner to Put Her Gun Away ??

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sellisfam View Post
    Why do those committing the crimes or posing a threat always seem to have more rights than the victims?
    From which post did you infer that?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    The fastest way to get help is to let the 911 operator control the call. I'm not saying to put the gun down if they tell you to do that, I wouldn't either. I'm saying to let them ask the questions and control how the call goes. They are the ones trained to extract the maximum amount of information in a minimum amount of time. Trying to control the call and repeating information just frustrates both of you and slows down the process.

As for telling someone to put their gun down, that's a huge liability for their department and most likely against their policy until an officer does arrive on scene.
    Actually it is the "norm" here for 911 Operators to have the homeowner secure their weapons before rescue personnel arrive.

They don't give two hoots about the caller. As for the liability, it's an anti-gun jurisdiction I live in with a bunch of bleeding heart social minded morons and the local law enforcement agencies are the same at the upper levels of management. I'll keep it very simple so that the things don't get lost in the confusion. Am I armed, yes. I have a right arm and a left arm.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Was the 911 operator correct to tell the woman to put her gun away? If you were in a similar situation, would you put your gun away before the police arrived on the scene??
    Absolutely not ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! No, I would advise the 911 operator they were crazy.... there would be no way I'm putting the gun down until I know the police have them in hand, but I would keep them advised exactly where I am and hope they don't confuse that with where the 'suspect' is.

Calling 911 here at all , is a waste of your time. The 911 system was "privatized" and has been worthless since then. I have absolutely no confidence in them here at all. When we called for ambulance while I was doing CPR on someone, they even sent it to the wrong town and the 911 operator kept telling me how "they are there".... and I had to get mad at them and explain in no uncertain terms that I was standing right there, and there WAS NO AMBULANCE. Geez....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Actually it is the "norm" here for 911 Operators to have the homeowner secure their weapons before rescue personnel arrive.

They don't give two hoots about the caller. As for the liability, it's an anti-gun jurisdiction I live in with a bunch of bleeding heart social minded morons and the local law enforcement agencies are the same at the upper levels of management. I'll keep it very simple so that the things don't get lost in the confusion. Am I armed, yes. I have a right arm and a left arm.

Biker
    What most people don't understand that while their 9-1-1 call may be a once in a lifetime thing for them, and the most traumatic incident in their life, their call taker probably gets a couple calls just like theirs every week. Some times a few of them a day. Unless you have a rookie, your call is about as exciting to the call taker as ringing up a slurpee is to the guy at 7-11. And after working the job a while a great number of dispatchers don't really care about the outcome of the call (unless they know the caller personally) other than it does not end up with them getting written up. As long as it can't be shown that they violated an S.O.P. or other written directive it doesn't mean a thing. You can play any games you want with them, make them less efficient, it doesn't matter. Just keep this in mind. Help is not going to show up until they send it.
    If something bad happens, you can try to sue. Unless it can be shown they violated department policy or followed a policy that was clearly outrageous to a reasonable person, they can't be held personally liable.
    And no matter what happens to you, they are going home at the end of their shift.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    The fastest way to get help is to let the 911 operator control the call. I'm not saying to put the gun down if they tell you to do that, I wouldn't either. I'm saying to let them ask the questions and control how the call goes. They are the ones trained to extract the maximum amount of information in a minimum amount of time. Trying to control the call and repeating information just frustrates both of you and slows down the process.

As for telling someone to put their gun down, that's a huge liability for their department and most likely against their policy until an officer does arrive on scene.
    That is not my experience. Generally the call gets bogged down in useless questions. I once called 911 for a potentially serious situation. A live power line had broken and fallen into the road. I got transferred 2 times, and nearly a third. I was calling from my cell. I live in County A, but my address is for a city in County B, and my town is town C, different than my address. 911 for County A takes my info, sees my address and immediately transfers me to County B. County B asks the same questions, gets my address and goes to transfer me BACK to County A. At this point I told the operator that she was not going to transfer me. After telling her why we had to get a 3 way conversation to figure this out. How would that have played out for an intruder?

Now, when they ask me what my emergency is I tell them my problem, my location, and what I need. I don't give them time to interrupt me. I know what my emergency is. I know what I want from them. They have very little information that will be helpful to me except for an ETA. The local dispatchers seem to have no issue with this. Unless they are trained in something like EMD, then their job is not to give me info but to get me assistance. And the dispatcher receiving the call makes a big difference. Some are just phenomenal at what they do. A lot of them are not all that good though. If I had to bet, I would say that your 911 service is bogged down with a bunch of standardized questions that the operator has to ask and any deviation from the script is a problem. In an emergency, the script is the problem.

If it makes a difference, my mom has been telling cops where to go for a living for almost 30 yrs.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    A woman called 911, reporting that a bedraggled looking stranger had opened her outside screen door, and was turning the knob of her main front door, which was locked, in an effort to open it.

The 911 operator instructed the homeowner to immediately put her gun away, and wait for officers to handle the situation.

Was the 911 operator correct to tell the woman to put her gun away? If you were in a similar situation, would you put your gun away before the police arrived on the scene??
    I'm all for inbound police handling "trouble" on the exterior of my home, if I have called them to respond to a real threat. But my staying inside my home armed and awaiting confirmation the police have things under control is in no way threatening police. In such a situation, I will absolutely not be disarming. Now, heading to the door to open it and speak with officers is something else entirely, and THAT is only occurring after the situation is over. UNTIL THEN, there is no way in Hades that I'm disarming while a known threat is actively attempting entry. I don't care who the person is on the phone, 911 Operator or the Pope.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    To whom? I really don't care if she's a threat to the guy trying to gain access to her house. I fail to see how it's her problem that he can't handle his alcohol.

People are animals. She was scared and felt cornered. Most animals will defend themselves when they are scared. I'm not saying she should've shot through the door. However, if he had entered the house, all bets are off.
    I don't care about the BG either. If he gets himself hurt then that is his problem.

However, without hearing her voice we really don't have much to go on. Maybe the dispatcher did make a mistake by telling her put down her weapon. But then again, maybe the lady was hysterical and was a threat to herself and anyone else around. I have been called to a few people that have manged to shoot themselves investigating a sound in the night.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

3D
    Very recently, on this very forum, I read of a 40 minute response time by LEO to REPEATED 9-1-1 calls by the victims (of repeated rape and one murder). No not in the rural outback countryside - in the very populated city of Washington, D.C. Infact the case that SCOTUS decided LEO has no obligation to protect citizens.

Since reading that I don't rely much on 9-1-1. I'll make the call; but I'm on my own to handle 'the emergency'. Give location, nature of emergency, request assistance______then I'll put phone down still connected to dispatcher______ (the recording will be useful). I can pick it up again if I see a need to.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

I would not put my gun away until I no longer felt threatened. However, I see no reason to tell the 911 dispatcher to "pound sand" or anything else. I would not respond verbally nor would I comply. Taking a contentious attitude can do nothing to help your situation and will only distract the dispatcher from doing his/her job. Staying connected will document the ensuing events. If you have acted responsibly and lawfully, you will be glad for the recording. If you sound like a belligerent aggressor, you may regret it in court. And if shots are fired, you will be in court.

Quote Originally Posted by cam911 View Post
    I would not put my gun away until I no longer felt threatened. However, I see no reason to tell the 911 dispatcher to "pound sand" or anything else. I would not respond verbally nor would I comply. Taking a contentious attitude can do nothing to help your situation and will only distract the dispatcher from doing his/her job. Staying connected will document the ensuing events. If you have acted responsibly and lawfully, you will be glad for the recording. If you sound like a belligerent aggressor, you may regret it in court. And if shots are fired, you will be in court.
    I agree with that approach 100%. To be clear, when I mentioned telling the dispatcher to go pound sand, I was being rhetorical. I'm a professional emergency responder who has experience in dispatching. Of course I'm not going to be belligerent or make the operators job more difficult. I was merely trying to convey that in no way am I putting my weapon down because the operator requested me to do so.

Just to be clear to others, getting into a fight with the 911 operator over the phone is totally counter-productive. The best thing to do is say, "I have to move", put the phone down and walk away if the conversation starts going south. Leave the line open, but don't continue to argue with the operator.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Like the old saying goes: "When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away." Therefore, the advice given by the 911 operator was terrible and could have caused the homeowner to be killed if the trespasser would've been a threat. The best thing is to do is to arm yourself, call 911, stay on the phone and hold your ground in a safe room until LEO arrive. If the trespasser enters your house before LEO arrive, then one must shoot until the trespasser is no longer a threat.

Check out this video. Now this is good advice from the 911 operator in this call: "You can defend your property if you need to."

^^^^^^^^^^This is exactly where I was going^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

With this.

If I or one of my loved ones were to HAVE to call 911, I would hope the one in OK has a twin In Mi.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links