Woman arrested at airport after refusing enhanced pat-down

This is a discussion on Woman arrested at airport after refusing enhanced pat-down within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Think you can avoid a pat-down at the airports? Think again. Woman arrested at ABIA after refusing enhanced pat down. Link: click . Claire Hirschkind, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Woman arrested at airport after refusing enhanced pat-down

Woman arrested at airport after refusing enhanced pat-down

Think you can avoid a pat-down at the airports? Think again.

Woman arrested at ABIA after refusing enhanced pat down.

Link: click.

Claire Hirschkind, 56, who says she is a rape victim and who has a pacemaker-type device implanted in her chest, says her constitutional rights were violated. She says she never broke any laws. But the Transportation Security Administration disagrees.

"I can't go through because I have the equivalent of a pacemaker in me," she said.

Hirschkind said because of the device in her body, she was led to a female TSA employee and three Austin police officers. She says she was told she was going to be patted down.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Yep, just the government getting us conditioned to accept more personal intrusion of our privacy.

Note how some people said "They are just doing it to make us safer" or words to that effect.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have some real problems with this if it transpired as reported.
    Knowing that news reports are most often wrong leads me to waiting until more information is available to make a final determination.

Biker

VIP Member
    Franklin was right!!!
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

This is leading to a really sad day

While I completely understand the need for security, I question the arrest. If a condition of flying is to pass through the scanners or a pat-down and a person refuses for any reason, why not just deny them access? On the other hand, anyone who purchases a plane ticket these days and doesn't understand that they're going to be scanned or groped somewhere along the line isn't living in the real world.

( I just reread the entire story and realized I had initially missed the part about her insistence on flying but without the enhanced search. If that was accurately reported and she was trying to get through the checkpoint without being searched, she was in the wrong. )
    Last edited by Retiredonce; December 27th, 2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Initially posted without sufficient caffeine intake
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Yeah there are a lot of 56 year old females with pacemakers that present a security threat at airports. The arrest is rediculous. I love my country but more and more I trust the government less and less.Whats next, Whats next, Whats next.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The TSA did the right thing. If anyone set off the alarm the TSA shouldn't let them on the plane. PERIOD.

It seems her pace maker set off the security alarm. She apparently was given the option to leave but refused.

"TSA policy that anyone activating a security alarm has two options. One is to opt out and not fly, and the other option is to subject themselves to an enhanced pat down. Hirschkind refused both and was arrested."
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VE Vill make da world mush saver for you!

3D
    IMO airline passengers need to face the new reality. The options are pretty clearly stated. Consider the risks and probable consequences then make your choice. No one is forced to fly. . . and if you choose to fly you follow the rules.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

3D
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Yeah there are a lot of 56 year old females with pacemakers that present a security threat at airports. The arrest is rediculous. I love my country but more and more I trust the government less and less.Whats next, Whats next, Whats next.
    So is it your position that we should just "accept at face value" that she has a pace maker-type device implanted in her body and not do any type of security screen on her?
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Quote Originally Posted by 3D View Post
    So is it your position that we should just "accept at face value" that she has a pace maker-type device implanted in her body and not do any type of security screen on her?
    My complaint was with the arrest. She also according to the news report posted by the OP said she would be willing to have a metal detecting wand screen her. She also said that she would accept a pat down but did not want them to touch her breasts. . Up until a few months ago this was acceptable. I believe we have gone to far in not allowing discression on the part of TSA in certain cases.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

3D
    I do see your point. Fair statement. That 'ugly' arrest scene was avoidable. Although she was willing to have the 'wand screening', it was not one of the presented options. Difficult as the Not Flying option may have been, it may have precluded that arrest.

On the otherhand we have seen the extent to which radical and extreme individuals will go to cause our society terror and destruction.
    She also said that she would accept a pat down but did not want them to touch her breasts.
    How does one know if an 'implant' is filled with silicone or liquid explosive??

TSA has never caught a terrorist. In the news it's always worded that TSA has prevented dangerous items from going on the plane. Dangerous items don't try to kill people on planes, terrorists do. I do not feel any safer. A terrorist will find a way to work around the security. They always have in the past.

VIP Member
    More idiotic stuff from TSA. Pacemakers are implanted beneath the skin immediately above the left breast. There are wires which run from the pacemaker into major blood vessels and then to the heart chambers. The wires are in some ways rather flimsy, and depending on how long she has had the pacemaker the area should not be poked, prodded, pinched, pushed, squeezed or anything else. Moreover, a wand should not be used on someone with a pacemaker and TSA officers should NEVER have offered her that option--though from the story it isn't clear that was offered. It sounds like they just insisted on doing the pat down.

She should have submitted to a pat down but TSA should have had someone do it who knows how to do it without risk to that pacemaker and passenger. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. That's the problem. Had they used an officer who would have assured her that they could examine her without disturbing the surgical site/pacemaker I suspect she would have agreed to the pat-down. The rape thing seems to me like it was secondary, at least logically protecting the pacemaker is an immediate self -defense need.

The arrest is beyond amazing. I thought that in the recent past they were saying you couldn't leave without risking a fine of 11 K. Has that suddenly changed to arrest? Or did she make such a fuss that a disorderly conduct charge was appropriate? Still, it would have happened with sufficient provocation by the agents involved.

As I have stated here on numerous occasions before, Napolitano and Pistole need to go. They are both clueless.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links