UGLY: ABC Pushes New "Gun Control" Documentary

This is a discussion on UGLY: ABC Pushes New "Gun Control" Documentary within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by javahawk I think gun shows should be held to the same standards as gun shops. OK...you dropped the grenade...now cover it... Please ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: ABC Pushes New "Gun Control" Documentary

Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    I think gun shows should be held to the same standards as gun shops.
    OK...you dropped the grenade...now cover it...

Please explain your rationalization for this? Please provide evidence to support your position?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    ...It's not the government's business to tell me what I can own or whom I can sell them to.
    Biker
    And yet right now they are going to force everyone to buy health care insurance! Whether you want it or not, whether you need it or not.

They will never stop at trying to force us to do something, trying to control more and more of every aspect of our lives.

We have to be on our toes everyday, 24/7. And we must vote carefully at every election!

Because of the current administrations sudden gross and obscene overreaching, more people have woken up than ever before. I don't think people will go back to sleep as quickly. At least for a while. Had the progressives kept on with baby steps they would have accomplished changes under our sleeping noses that couldn't be undone. But they saw a chance with Obama and overreached, trying to grab too much at once. And people rose up and said "Whoa, there pardner!" They thought the people were on Obama's side. What they didn't realize what, he won all those dupes over based on lies, and people are now starting to say, "This isn't the change we are willing to accept!"

Their other mistake was going for it before they confiscated all the guns.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by javahawk View Post
    I think gun shows should be held to the same standards as gun shops.
    They already are. Don't be fooled by the kool aid. (it's really anti freeze)
    "Just blame Sixto"

What about your neighbor, who has been in a mental hospital on and off for 10 years, and has a history of violence (locked up 8 times) and has stated that he wants to kill you and your family, decides to purchase a handgun.
    Thats it, go to a gun show, its easy. No questions, no felony checks, just buy it and come on back to the neighborhood.
    Just sayin.
    Guide yourself accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by yaonttwo View Post
    What about your neighbor, who has been in a mental hospital on and off for 10 years, and has a history of violence (locked up 8 times) and has stated that he wants to kill you and your family, decides to purchase a handgun.
    Thats it, go to a gun show, its easy. No questions, no felony checks, just buy it and come on back to the neighborhood.
    Just sayin.
    Whats preventing that same person from picking up a nice new shiny butcher knife from walmart and doing the same, or mowing you down with his car when you all go out to take the kids to school in the morning? ...or even more fun...taking a baseball bat to your homes gas main line at the meter, striking a match and run? No magical checks are going to prevent those either.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If a bad guy wants to get a gun, he will get one. There is nothing magical about a gun show.

The "gun show loophole" has been studied. Cracking down on this does not affect crime one way or the other. All it does is drive gun shows out of business. That's it, that's all.

BTW, the term "gun show loophole" is broken. There is no "loophole" at gun shows. There are no special rules at gun shows. All the regular firearms laws apply. What is being suggested is that we create a new, gun show only law. (At least that's where it will start).
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Magical check?? So monitoring/approving of who is buying a handgun is a bad thing? hum If I understand your way of thiking, anyone who wants a gun should be able to purchase one. What a forgiving and trusting person you apparently are.
    What about allowing only non-violent felons to being allowed to obtain guns? People like child molesters, burglars, extortionist, etc.. . . .I've heard that one also.
    My point is that I am far more concerned about my life and my fanilys than I am about gun confication. Maybe I'm totally wrong. . . . . but I doubt it.

Magical check?? So monitoring/approving of who is buying a handgun is a bad thing? hum If I understand your way of thiking, anyone who wants a gun should be able to purchase one. What a forgiving and trusting person you apparently are.
    What about allowing only non-violent felons to being allowed to obtain guns? People like child molesters, burglars, extortionist, etc.. . . .I've heard that one also.
    My point is that I am far more concerned about my life and my fanilys than I am about gun confication. Maybe I'm totally wrong. . . . . but I doubt it.
    Sorry, you are totally wrong. Did you read the other posts on this thread? Specifically my post #8? What's worse, the US Supreme Court has already ruled in the past (late 1990's) that a convicted felon does NOT have to register his gun because he would be violating his 5th Amendment RIGHT against self incrimination! I can look up that cite where you can find it in case law if you like.

Remember this: GUN CONTROL IS NEVER ABOUT GUNS OR CRIME. IT'S ONLY ABOUT CONTROL.

Thomas Jefferson said it best: "The best that can be said about the people is that they be properly armed." In this case, the more the people are properly armed, the fewer bad guys will survive to reoffend or go to trial. Because bad guys are stupid and lazy. I know, I used to be a state Parole Officer and I supervised some of the most dangerous felons on the eastern seaboard. If they were into hard work, they wouldn't BE badguys. So they don't get the training, most of 'em don't anyway. There are now a few of the really bad gangs that are sending their troops to the army and marines before they get arrested for felonies. They volunteer for infantry get TRAINED, go to war then come back to the 'Hood and teach the others what they learned. More and more cops are getting into gun battles with this breed and are finding themselves pegged in place by fire and being FLANKED by other bad guy "elements" and killed. That is very bad. Thankfully it's not that widespread, yet.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I 'm sorry, you apparently have me confused with someone who gives a crap with other posters opinions. Hear is mind: I do not want a felon to purchase a gun in my country. Don't care if he is a violent/non-violent person. Don't care what ever else he may be and even if he has a picture of Mother Thersa over his bed.
    Let me and the rest of our members know if you have a better means to avoid felons obtaining firearms at gun shows.

I 'm sorry, you apparently have me confused with someone who gives a crap with other posters opinions. Hear is mind: I do not want a felon to purchase a gun in my country. Don't care if he is a violent/non-violent person. Don't care what ever else he may be and even if he has a picture of Mother Thersa over his bed.
    Let me and the rest of our members know if you have a better means to avoid felons obtaining firearms at gun shows.
    Wow, I think you're on the wrong board. You're new (whups, I misspoke: You've been here since 2008 but only have 10 posts. Hmmmm) but we're all about RESPECTING each other's opinions and offering counter options. You opened the door by saying you MIGHT be totally wrong and I agreed with that. lol Here is a head's up: IN all the time that Brady has been in force NOT A SINGLE "felon" was prosecuted under the act. Many more innocent citizens WERE prevented from purchasing by errors in the system. Look below and you'll find a startling fact that the day after Thanksgiving the entire NCIC NETWORK was "down" for unknown reasons which prevented a lot of lawful gun sales from taking place. Government control?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Can you point me to any evidence that shows that a larger percentage of convicted felons get their guns via private sales at a gun show rather than other means (theft, etc.)? No, you can't because it is not the case. You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Don't care if the percentage is minor. The problem does not exist?
    I personally know of two individuals, both convicted of felonies, that purchased guns at gun shows (I have asked them to move to Utah or Florida).
    As, apparently, this problem ONLY exist in Louisiana, I will mention my concern;
    There are sellers at gun shows that will sell firearms to Satan. There reasoning is justified (in their minds) by saying there are many, many other ways to harm/kill someone so responsibility for selling to a CRIMINAL is a minor infraction considering the fact that knives, baseball bats and other deadly weapons exist in this world.
    My belief: If the gun show requirement was the same as our local gun shop requirement to purchase were the same, there would be fewer felons walking around with weapons.
    Please disregard this thread if you live in any other states as this has not occurred nor will it ever.

Don't care if the percentage is minor. The problem does not exist?
    I personally know of two individuals, both convicted of felonies, that purchased guns at gun shows (I have asked them to move to Utah or Florida).
    As, apparently, this problem ONLY exist in Louisiana, I will mention my concern;
    There are sellers at gun shows that will sell firearms to Satan. There reasoning is justified (in their minds) by saying there are many, many other ways to harm/kill someone so responsibility for selling to a CRIMINAL is a minor infraction considering the fact that knives, baseball bats and other deadly weapons exist in this world.
    My belief: If the gun show requirement was the same as our local gun shop requirement to purchase were the same, there would be fewer felons walking around with weapons.
    Please disregard this thread if you live in any other states as this has not occurred nor will it ever.
    If you are aware of folks violating the current gun laws you should report them. Let me assure if folks of your mindset run the gunshows out of business the illegal sellers and buyer wherever they exist will stay in business, especially if folks know of their lawbreaking and don't report it.

Where will you draw the line on personal sales? if there is only two people it's ok but three...makes it illegal???
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Just sayin.
    What ? Where ? I know of absolutely NO where that can happen at a gun show. It's "illegal" everywhere ..... if they are doing it, they are violating the law and ATF would love to talk to them.

But, you can buy one off the street if you know where to go .... for $50-$100 , no paperwork and no background check. Believe me, any gang banger or good criminal knows where and how. They dont' need a gun show. Their only gun show is out of Georgies trunk down at Philly & Main street.

What's your firsthand experience ? Have you ever tried or boughten a gun at a gun show? ATF monitors shows all of the time, and they've made very few arrests of anyone violating the laws.
    Last edited by Eagleks; December 29th, 2010 at 02:04 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Just sayin.
    The problem is not that a bad guy, mental patient or felon can get a gun at a gun show. It never was. BTW... The statistics show that guns used by criminals are by a large percentage stolen. Not bought at gun shows. Stolen or bought off the street. And that's not the issue either. You're looking for a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

The problem is people who want to do damage and kill you. It doesn't matter what weapon they use or where they got the weapon. The problem is the boogy man who comes to kill you or your family.

And there's really only one solution to "the problem." Prepare to defend yourself and your family from who ever threatens you!

I can promise you, that last thing I care about is where the SOB got the gun he's trying to kill me with. The only thing in my mind is stopping the threat. And I'm prepared to use lethal force to do that. What are you prepared to do?

If you refuse to accept facts or court decisions, it's not my problem. The gun show loop hole has been thoroughly debunked and litigated. But some anti-gunners simply refuse to let go.

Note: I also reviewed your previous posts at DC.com, and after doing some research on Louisiana state law, your description of the carjacking law in those other posts are not exactly factual. In essence, the carjacking statute does nothing more than provide a layman's explanation to already existing homicide justifications. Please refer to RS 14:18 - RS 14:22 for current Louisiana statutes on Deadly Force laws. You can see for yourself at the following site. http://www.legis.state.la.us/
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links