UGLY: Marine, wife attacked by teens after showing of "Little Fockers"

This is a discussion on UGLY: Marine, wife attacked by teens after showing of "Little Fockers" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Barbary John Wayne said it best: (paraphrased) If you can't respect your elders, then you'll learn to respect your betters. BIG JAKE! ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Marine, wife attacked by teens after showing of "Little Fockers"

Quote Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
    John Wayne said it best: (paraphrased) If you can't respect your elders, then you'll learn to respect your betters.
    BIG JAKE! Right? I know I am. One of my favorite movies.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Authorities say the fight attracted about 300 bystanders.
    Who all came to watch and observe a husband & his wife out for a date night get beat down...To the audiences amusement, and active compliance.

Note also that the crowd did _NOT_ breakup even as a lone citizen, as ARMED!, made himself known to come to their aid.
    More over once the police arrived members of the crowd continued to hang on including folk making physical attack (!) toward the even more so ARMED! police as in multiples to a degree that police thought it prudent to involve force to arrest two.

Now think about all of this, and read in between the lines here...

This was a movie theater not a biker bar, strip club or some across the tracks type drug den.
    Further there were an estimated three HUNDRED, and two, potential persons there to interject themselves so as to offer some manner of aid & assistance to quell if not repel what was literally two light attack forces of approximately 15 females and 7 men.

Think about this, long and hard.

Odds are 150 to 1 that anyone among this random sampling 'community' would come to offer a human being in _imminent_ danger some manner of rescue effort aid;
    Odds are 150 to 1 that NOBODY would risk their neck to offer a human being in _imminent_ danger some manner of rescue effort aid;
    Odds are 150 to 1 that upon seeing a lone man draw a FIREARM against what is a MOB that anyone _else_ would step in to talk sense to those of the one percent (!);
    Odds are 10 to 1 that a FEMALE attacker among that community will participate in a mob rule intimidation effort, as a minimum...Among the public eye!;
    Odds are just over 21 to 1 that a MALE attacker among that community will participate in a mob rule attack/assault effort...Among the public eye!;
    Odds are 150 to 1 that either a male or female attacker would turn their rage toward a responding peace officer!

This is just a sampling of the people that night at that moment on this site at an as reported estimation of 300 persons on site.
    Of course not all were watching and others leaving or entering oblivious to what might have been on going at the center of the melee. But you get my point.

Now think of how many times persons at this forum have posted; 'Having a gun is better than no gun at all', as justification toward carrying pee shooters and sub-par so called 'defensive' firearms including .380 on down to even .22LR (!) derringers and revolvers....On the _theory_ that upon showing any gun bad people and hyena will scatter like roaches shown a Maglight.
    Think of how many times folks have posted here saying they don't see the need 'In Real Life' to carry a spare/reserve magazine.
    Think of how many times when the OC/CS discussion comes up that people chime in with yeah those things are garbage because...'I used it once (as a cop) and I got some on me too' or 'In the military we used that stuff and I could fight through it' or 'What do I need that for when I have a gun?! (.380 ACP or less with 6 or 7 rounds and no reserve magazine)'.
    Think of how many times folks have stated they don't carry but they do keep their gun in their purse/satchel/backpack or in the glove compartment of their car (!) for if/when it gets hairy.

These two were regular people doing regular things at a normal place, on Christmas night....To watch a family movie rated PG.
    Their attackers? Teenagers. Other peoples so called children, who just hours earlier were with family opening gifts and speaking of good will toward men.

Very seriously if this story is not thought provoking then well I just don't know what ever could be.

Folks talk about 'zombie apocalypse' like it's some kind of joke. Frankly to my observation zombies are real and they have been for some time now; Only they are the 'rage virus' type and those referred to in film as 'craziers' who change for little discernible if even rational reason into flesh beaters if not eaters.

This could have been anybody.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow, Janq! When you post you post enough to make a body chew on for awhile and I agree with it all. I usually layer my defenses but instead of OC/CS I carry a high voltage stun device with 2 million + volts. Less for the actual usage, but because that super L-O-U-D "fryin' bacon" sound will cut through any alcohol or drug induced mental fog and hit right at the core that the holder of this device can inflict serious and non lethal pain. Everybody remember those immortal screams from the tv coverage: "DON'T TASE ME BRO! DON'T TASE ME!" I have used a stun device in real situations and trust me they DO work. But the deterrent sound is even more effective.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

A 'mob' of 300 .....?!? In a mob enviroment like that I 'might' be inclined to take drastic measures to protect my wife and myself. Like Exsolider stated, I'm too young to die and just too old to take any more butt beat-downs.

Very good, thought provoking post Janq.
    Exsolider....you are the MAN for the job you do. Teachers like you DO make a diffrence. (My wife's from Homestead, she understands what you face....a little)
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Sounds like too many youngin's these days have no respect for anyone else. No morals, and no brains. Hope the brandishing citizen didn't get in trouble for his actions. Sure he assisted, but what if "one" of them decided to jump on him. Would he have been justified in using his firearm on the "one" that jumped him? Most likely not (use of deadly force against an unarmed teenage punk). Could have turned ugly.

Glad everything turned out on the up side for these people.
    +1 !

The bigger the mob the bigger the mouth, to go after a soldier and his wife is bad enough but to go after an officer, teaser for whoever wants to play tough guy or wood shampoo ? Glad they man with the firearm handled the situation until officers arrived. Nice post Janq
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    Exsolider....you are the MAN for the job you do. Teachers like you DO make a diffrence. (My wife's from Homestead, she understands what you face....a little)
    Thanks, but after 14 years, I'm getting more than a little crispy around the edges. And trust me, I have friends who work in Homestead and Florida City. They're tough environments on their own! Both for cops and teachers.

I'm gonna need to start carrying more mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I'm gonna need to start carrying more mags
    I always carry at least one spare but it's tough with a 1911 style because compared to my H&K 9mm two mags of 45 = out to 1 of the 9mm's. So I gotta ask myself how many rounds of "9" will it take to put down the target versus the 45? Tough tough call because as usual everything boils down to shot placement plus of course the bad guy's "will" to stick around and fight it out.... So I guess, maybe I start carrying the XD 45 with 10rd mags and a 13rd spare mag??? Plus the CT Laser. More deterrent. More weight. ~SIGH~ Why do you bring up these conundrums for me to ask myself? LOL JK.

ExS,

I run into the same dynamic question...

I can choose one of two 1911s chambered in .45 ACP.
    One is a Defender length frame and depending on my clothing I'll run either a 7 round magazine that fits it flush and add a 10 rd. reserve.
    Carrying two of those ten rounder sticks I'll on occasion do but the means to conceal them is typically a challenge. They are wide, loooong and heavy.
    Or I can choose a full size 1911 and run an 8 rd. mag as base, again with one or two 10 rounders in reserve.

Then on the opposite end I can choose from a 9MM 1911 with a 9 round mag capacity.
    The 9mm magazines are like 30% thinner than the .45 ACP and weigh half as much as felt on body while offering 90% of max .45 ACP reserve mag capacity and up to 150% of the .45 ACP base mag capacity (6 vs. 9 rounds).

So at times I wind up with an ammo count question.

But that's because I live in MA with a 10 rd. mag capacity limit.
    If I were elsewhere I'd run 'high capacity' magazine guns and not look back.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    I know its tempting with the movie title making it way to easy, but watch the language and work arounds. I don't want to ban somebody over something so stupid.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know its tempting with the movie title making it way to easy, but watch the language and work arounds. I don't want to ban somebody over something so stupid.
    Sorry, SIXTO. My bad and I started it with the original post. I just fixed that. Is it okay now? I also fixed one of my other posts on this thread. Both are marked in "reason for editing."
    Last edited by ExSoldier; December 29th, 2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Add detail

Though often ridiculed for carrying two guns, I've never lost any sleep over carrying two hi-capacity pistols. G-23 & XD9sc. I've seen more than one situation like the movie theater incident crop up in Kansas City and been too close for comfort.

To quote Lil' Bill's one armed deputy (Clyde Ledbetter) in Unforgiven when asked by Fatty Rossiter: "Jesus, Clyde, you have three pistols and you only have one arm, for Christ's sake!"
    To which Clyde responds, "Well, I just don't want to get killed for lack of shootin' back!"

There is no doubt we are walking among a populous of living zombies and with the state of the economy, and if we start cutting entitlement programs in an attempt to bring this country back from the brink, civil unrest can spring up anywhere at anytime. People think we can't see riots over here like Greece, France, GB, and soon to be Spain and Ireland, are really deluding themselves. People who live off the government are primed to break out and show their anger and frustration at the thought of getting a smaller check every month.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Who all came to watch and observe a husband & his wife out for a date night get beat down...To the audiences amusement, and active compliance.

Note also that the crowd did _NOT_ breakup even as a lone citizen, as ARMED!, made himself known to come to their aid.
    More over once the police arrived members of the crowd continued to hang on including folk making physical attack (!) toward the even more so ARMED! police as in multiples to a degree that police thought it prudent to involve force to arrest two.

Now think about all of this, and read in between the lines here...

This was a movie theater not a biker bar, strip club or some across the tracks type drug den.
    Further there were an estimated three HUNDRED, and two, potential persons there to interject themselves so as to offer some manner of aid & assistance to quell if not repel what was literally two light attack forces of approximately 15 females and 7 men.

Think about this, long and hard.

Odds are 150 to 1 that anyone among this random sampling 'community' would come to offer a human being in _imminent_ danger some manner of rescue effort aid;
    Odds are 150 to 1 that NOBODY would risk their neck to offer a human being in _imminent_ danger some manner of rescue effort aid;
    Odds are 150 to 1 that upon seeing a lone man draw a FIREARM against what is a MOB that anyone _else_ would step in to talk sense to those of the one percent (!);
    Odds are 10 to 1 that a FEMALE attacker among that community will participate in a mob rule intimidation effort, as a minimum...Among the public eye!;
    Odds are just over 21 to 1 that a MALE attacker among that community will participate in a mob rule attack/assault effort...Among the public eye!;
    Odds are 150 to 1 that either a male or female attacker would turn their rage toward a responding peace officer!

This is just a sampling of the people that night at that moment on this site at an as reported estimation of 300 persons on site.
    Of course not all were watching and others leaving or entering oblivious to what might have been on going at the center of the melee. But you get my point.

Now think of how many times persons at this forum have posted; 'Having a gun is better than no gun at all', as justification toward carrying pee shooters and sub-par so called 'defensive' firearms including .380 on down to even .22LR (!) derringers and revolvers....On the _theory_ that upon showing any gun bad people and hyena will scatter like roaches shown a Maglight.
    Think of how many times folks have posted here saying they don't see the need 'In Real Life' to carry a spare/reserve magazine.
    Think of how many times when the OC/CS discussion comes up that people chime in with yeah those things are garbage because...'I used it once (as a cop) and I got some on me too' or 'In the military we used that stuff and I could fight through it' or 'What do I need that for when I have a gun?! (.380 ACP or less with 6 or 7 rounds and no reserve magazine)'.
    Think of how many times folks have stated they don't carry but they do keep their gun in their purse/satchel/backpack or in the glove compartment of their car (!) for if/when it gets hairy.

These two were regular people doing regular things at a normal place, on Christmas night....To watch a family movie rated PG.
    Their attackers? Teenagers. Other peoples so called children, who just hours earlier were with family opening gifts and speaking of good will toward men.

Very seriously if this story is not thought provoking then well I just don't know what ever could be.

Folks talk about 'zombie apocalypse' like it's some kind of joke. Frankly to my observation zombies are real and they have been for some time now; Only they are the 'rage virus' type and those referred to in film as 'craziers' who change for little discernible if even rational reason into flesh beaters if not eaters.

This could have been anybody.

- Janq
    Spot on mate!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Here is a real good video news report all about this incident, that includes interviews of both the Marine and his wife:

A total of 5 juveniles were arrested by police. Manatee Sheriff Brad Steube said that the actions of the teens ( who were all minors ) was "deplorable".

Here is a link to this additional news report:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...om-Afghanistan

One adult woman by the name of Destiny McNeil, who is related to one of the minors that was arrested, was also arrested for interfereing with the officers at the scene.

Here is her booking photo:

Since the others arrested are all minors, their booking photos cannot be released.

The Marine, Federico Freire, is on Holiday leave, and must return back to the fighting in Afghanistan shortly.

It is really a sad state of affairs that our society is producing so many young people of such extremely low moral character.

Even Sheriff Steube had this comment about the disgusting situation: "Our society today is just beyond me when it comes to manners, and again I ask the question, 'Where were their parents?'"

That mere 15, 16, 17 year olds could so quickly turn into such a violent mob is really quite scary.

Who would ever want to have to open fire on a violent mob of children? That would be very difficult to do, no matter under what circumstances.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links