Ugly: Rookie Officer Killed During Domestic

This is a discussion on Ugly: Rookie Officer Killed During Domestic within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sad. I wonder if the officer had knowledge of the knucledraggers past,(that he was a know sex offender, and had threatened the womans parents and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugly: Rookie Officer Killed During Domestic

VIP Member
    Sad. I wonder if the officer had knowledge of the knucledraggers past,(that he was a know sex offender, and had threatened the womans parents and assaulted her mother.

This Idiot would have probably taken a long walk off a short pier, had that been my daughter, based on this, taken from the article.

The arrest warrant affidavit said the alleged assaults were precipitated by Carter's mother refusing to allow her daughter to date Nettles after learning he was a registered sex offender.

According to the affidavit, Carter's mother claimed Nettles tried to choke her and throw her over a railing. She said Nettles threatened to kill her and her husband.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

2. Remove Ads

RIP sister.

This was dispatched as a Report Call and while there is always the possibility of the susp returning, it is often not the case. Also not mentioned is the call load at the time. On body radios have made requesting assistance considerably easier than in the past. With a susp that walks in the door and starts shooting, while another officer would not have hurt, there is no way to determine if it would have helped. The Washington Four illustrated that numbers do not gurantee safety against surprise and a determined aggressor.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    RIP sister.

This was dispatched as a Report Call and while there is always the possibility of the susp returning, it is often not the case. Also not mentioned is the call load at the time. On body radios have made requesting assistance considerably easier than in the past. With a susp that walks in the door and starts shooting, while another officer would not have hurt, there is no way to determine if it would have helped. The Washington Four illustrated that numbers do not gurantee safety against surprise and a determined aggressor.
    Very true. On some nights the call volume is so high and units so scattered, that they have to be sent out alone. Even a low priority call such as a loud music complaint, which is one of the most common, can consume 30 minutes of time to deal with.

Those are the times things get dicy. What nobody likes to hear on a hot call, "21 You're rolling alone".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I got news for everyone. You'd be surprised the sheer numbers of small departments where sending one officer to domestics is the norm. It is certainly the norm in my area. Not that the deputies or officers like it, but when there is no one else to send, there is no one else to send. What does a department do? Not respond to calls for help because it may be too dangerous? Now there are certainly times when we send 2 and 3 officers/deputies, but calls like that are just as likely to get 1 deputy and another deputy responding from clear across the county with a 20 min drive time or longer.

I live in a town with no police department, but contracts with the county sheriff's department for at least one deputy 24/7/365. During peak hours or during special event times there may be as many as 4 or more deputies in town for a period of time. However, it's more like 2 deputies for a few hours because of overlapping shifts. Still, a majority of the time, especially after 10 pm. there's only 1 deputy in town. Especially during the winter which is traditionally slower call volume than at other times of the year.

Back-up comes from the on duty county deputies or state police. However, as the evening hours progress, depending on the day of the week, there may only be 1 deputy on duty for the entire county along with the 1 (contract) deputy in my town. The only town/city in the entire county with a police department is the county seat which has about a 20-30 man department, which is 18 miles away from my town. Two other small towns in the county has a 1 man police department with maybe 1 or 2 reserve officers which are usually our county deputies who "moonlight" in those areas as part time work. Unless it's a holiday or some special time of year, even the state troopers in our county get off the road and then respond "on call" from home after 2 am.

This is a fact of life for rural America. And this is why, after having been a tactical medic on the swat team for 10 years, as well as a former defensive tactics instructor, I will respond to all "officer needs assistance" calls which happens in my town if I hear the call. In the last 3 or 4 years, I've probably have to do that maybe 5 or 6 times. We also have a couple members of our volunteer fire department who has shown up before, however I'm the only one who shows up armed, and also with OC spray, expandable baton, handcuffs and body armor. One of our deputies also lives in town, but of all the times I've responded, he has only heard about and shown up twice. But he has also responded off duty other times when I was not around or did not hear the call go out.

It's always sad when an officer loses their life in such incidents. Of course we all wish there were more LEO's to handle calls like this. But in reality, you deal with what resources you have and tough it out. Because we have such limited resources, when deputies are on scene of any call, the dispatchers do status checks via radio every 45 seconds unless the deputy responds that no further status checks are necessary. Not the best system, but it's what we got. I can tell you, it can get pretty frightening when you hear a deputy call for assistance and he's obviously panting, out of breath and in a fight, and you can hear at least 3 or 4 separate people screaming in the background. And then you get a dispatcher who can't understand what the deputy is saying or which deputy was calling for help and asking them to repeat their traffic several times.

Anyway, my prayers go out to the slain officer and her family.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links