Bad: Perry police chief on leave for altercation with Walmart greeter (Utah)

This is a discussion on Bad: Perry police chief on leave for altercation with Walmart greeter (Utah) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I go to Wal Mart for my weekly supply of Cherry Coke, usually around 12-16 two liter bottles. Sometimes this is all I am buying. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Perry police chief on leave for altercation with Walmart greeter (Utah)

I go to Wal Mart for my weekly supply of Cherry Coke, usually around 12-16 two liter bottles. Sometimes this is all I am buying. I do not have the bottles bagged as I stack them on my front seat. I am periodically asked for my receipt and as I could just load the bottles in the cart and walk out, I have no problem with it. In some cases I'm sure it is annoying to people.

As far as the chief, I'd have busted his butt. If they want to kick it, higher up, so be it.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have no problem showing a receipt for my purchases,There are way too many people in this world that think stealing is OK.Usually the people that get bent out of shape are the ones that are trying to hide something.
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I will have to disagree with you on this one.
    The only store I show my receipt at when I'm leaving are those that require you to do so as a condition of membership. Otherwise, sod off. I will not stop, nor be detained if I have committed no crime. Detainment will be by a LEO, not some employee of Mega Mart. If you don't like it, call a LEO. You better be right though, and not accuse me of stealing when I haven't.

Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    What he did was just wrong. Seems they really do need to look at him being in charge.

On the Walmart issue in general. I look at that as they don't post that I can't carry in their store. They sell me cartridges at a good price, along with other things. Some of my LGS won't allow me to carry, so if Walmart wants to see a receipt before I wheel a big ticket item out of the store I'm OK with that.
    And there is an important consideration on WM's part. Ever wonder why they mark your receipt with a hi-liter on larger items? Well a friend of mine who was a police officer at the time told me of an arrest made at the local WM. seems there was a guy who bought a chain saw and left through the main door. He went to his vehicle and deposited the chainsaw. He went back in the store and picked up another chainsaw and left through the garden center.

"Hey man, I gotta receipt".
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Taking out whatever his anger and frustration is on a 70 year old lady working as a WalMart greeter shows an unacceptable lack of character for a person in his position. Time to say bye-bye to the Chief. He's showing signs of being a loose cannon.
    +1
    I would not want anyone with anger issues working in a public position of authority.

Michael

VIP Member
    Whoever is the Chief's supervisor needs to give some serious consideration to the full implications of the ease with which he lost his temper, the manner in which he behaved, and how much it could cost the employing government if he does his job with similar disregard for ordinary civility. It seems to me the only reason he calmed down when the other police chief showed is likely that the two knew each other, and he knew he would get a walk instead of the disorderly conduct citation he deserved.

The citizens of both communities and "bosses" of both chiefs now have some decisions to make.

Simple; he gets no more privileges than anyone else because he's a Police Chief. Even if they had known, they still could / should ask him. Why give him a free ride because he's the Chief ? So ?

I think it's absurd when they do the "can I see your receipt" business, but I also understand why they do it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have no problem showing a receipt for my purchases,There are way too many people in this world that think stealing is OK.Usually the people that get bent out of shape are the ones that are trying to hide something.
    I own a retail business. I can assure everyone here that there are plenty of dishonest folks out there.

Seems kind of silly to pay for your items at the counter...20 feet from the door, and then be stopped to have your cart checked.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So if you refuse to show the receipt to Grandma (being nice, "No thank you" and keep walking), what will/can be Walmart's next action? This could get interesting!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The policy is idiotic. They have cameras for this type of thing. Greeter checks are nothing more than theater. Is the 70 year old lady going to take you down if you are shoplifting?

Do I need a receipt if I am wearing the coat and shoes I bought there last week?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Question for active LEO:
    What is a person to do, a civilian, when confronted by a police off-duty who acts out in such a manner?
    Do as you would with anyone else.

Looks like the Chief might have a chance to be the Walmart greeter himself after all this pans out.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    I will have to disagree with you on this one.
    The only store I show my receipt at when I'm leaving are those that require you to do so as a condition of membership. Otherwise, sod off. I will not stop, nor be detained if I have committed no crime. Detainment will be by a LEO, not some employee of Mega Mart. If you don't like it, call a LEO. You better be right though, and not accuse me of stealing when I haven't.

Biker
    I totally agree! The one time I was asked "excuse me sir, can I see your receipt?" I replied "no!" and kept walking to my truck to load up. Nobody came after me either.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have no problem showing them my receipt. They don't know me or know that I'm a straight up guy. They give it to me for a reason...as proof I bought the item. I never pay at a gas pump and leave without a receipt either. If the printer doesn't work, I go in and get one. I want documentation that I paid so no one can try to make something out of it. If they do, I show them my documentation and go on about my day. That's a battle that's not worth my time or effort to fight. I'll save it for something that is worth it to me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I just couldn't bring myself to be rude or verbally abusive to an old lady working as a greeter to supplement her meager Social Security check. Where's the harm in just flipping out the receipt and allowing the old gal to do the job WalMart requires of her without giving her grief? She doesn't make WalMart policy. Why ruin her day with boorish behavior? Either take the complaint to management if you are really that offended by it, or just shop elsewhere.

To all you WM naysayers, what would you do if you owned the store ?, would you have procedures in place to take care of the thiefs who constantly rip you off ?, you bet your butt you would. dukealmighty you hit it right on the head, the thiefs are the ones that make the most noise.

VIP Member
    There are two things in life I prefer not to do. 1) Use Firefox as my browser 2) Shop at Wal-Mart.
    Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.
    ~ Stephen King

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links