Bad year - Line-of-duty deaths among police officers go up

This is a discussion on Bad year - Line-of-duty deaths among police officers go up within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/29/....html?hpt=Sbin The shooting death of a Texas police officer late Tuesday adds to a grim toll: A law enforcement officer was killed every 53 hours ...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/12/29/....html?hpt=Sbin

The shooting death of a Texas police officer late Tuesday adds to a grim toll: A law enforcement officer was killed every 53 hours in the United States this year, according to a new report.

Line-of-duty deaths jumped by 37% in 2010, according to the report by the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund.

In the past two days, CNN has reported the deaths of two police officers: one in Texas and another one in Atlanta.

An officer was killed Monday during a traffic stop in Atlanta. Late Tuesday night, an Arlington police officer was among three people killed in a shooting at an apartment complex.

These incidents are part of an overall trend of increased violence against police officers and law enforcement professionals this year. According to preliminary data compiled by the memorial fund, a total of 160 federal, state and local law enforcement officers died in the line of duty during the past 12 months, an alarming increase that follows two years of declining deaths among the nation's policing professionals.

While the sharpest increase has been in gun-related deaths, traffic-related incidents remained the number one cause of death among the nation's law enforcement officers for the 13th consecutive year. Seventy-three officers have been killed in traffic-related incidents this year, compared with 51 in 2009.

"Our law enforcement officers are being asked to do more today with less," said memorial fund Chairman Craig W. Floyd. "And it is putting their lives at risk."

During the past year, 18 officers were killed in Texas, the highest in any state. It was followed by California with 11, Illinois with 10, Florida with nine and Georgia with seven.

Since the first known line-of-duty death in 1792, nearly 19,000 U.S. law enforcement officers have made the ultimate sacrifice.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

As I was planning to post this in the LEO sub-area I see this thread and figure I'll just piggy back it...

Officer.com Home > Top News Stories

Officer LODDs Up 37 Percent in 2010

Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010
    Updated: December 29th, 2010 11:49 AM CDT

BY KEVIN JOHNSON
    USA TODAY

The number of law officers killed in the line of duty across the United States jumped 37% this year, reversing two consecutive years of steep declines, according to a report released Monday by a national police advocacy group.

Fatal shootings jumped from 49 in 2009, to 59 in 2010, marking the second straight year in which gunfire deaths increased by at least 20%. Meanwhile, traffic-related deaths -- the leading cause of work-related death for police -- increased from 51 in 2009, to 73 this year, according to the report.

Craig Floyd, chairman of the memorial fund which closely tracks officer deaths, suggests the rise in fatalities represents "troubling signs" that officer layoffs and other public safety budget cutbacks due to the lagging economy are "putting officers at risk."

"The budget cutbacks mean less training and fewer available resources, like replacing cars when you need to," Floyd says. "Hopefully, these numbers will be a warning signal."

Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest police union, says there is no clear evidence that a reduction in force or resources is behind the spike in fatalities.

"A more brazen, cold-blooded criminal element is on the prowl in America," Floyd says. "And they don't think twice about killing a cop."

The full story can be found at; http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Officer-LODDs-Up-37-Percent-in-2010/1$55997
    - Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Every 53 hours? Wow, I didn't realize there were that many, but I guess it seems about correct when I think about it.

Godspeed to them all.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Not sure what it means but it was recently reported about the dramatic drop in the violent crime rate. Then we see a 37% increase in the deaths of LEOs. Surely says something about the criminals in our society. Though I do find it hard to reconcile the two reports.

Wow, every 53 hours? Prayers sent to all the fallen officers family, hopefully 2011 is a better year.

I'd like to see the data parsed by geography and state of the local economy. My conjecture is that LEO line-of-duty assaults and killings are more prevalent close to the Mexican border and in areas hit hard by the economic downturn, such as Detroit.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd like to see the data parsed by geography and state of the local economy. My conjecture is that LEO line-of-duty assaults and killings are more prevalent close to the Mexican border and in areas hit hard by the economic downturn, such as Detroit.
    That is a very good point you bring up and I would not be surprised if that was the case in a majority of the data collected thus far. Especially since Phoenix, AZ is the number one kidnapping capital in America, it is just not only our borders that are not safe, but our border states as well!
    God bless our troops!

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I did see where Florida was especially hard hit. Sorry can't remember which news source, might have been the Orlando Sentinel. BGs down here lately seem to like to use their cars as weapons. Several have paid dearly for the method. Of course, they are always "such a nice boy."

Links