BAD: Bear attack

This is a discussion on BAD: Bear attack within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I stumbled upon this article and found it very interesting for several reasons. I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAD: Bear attack

BAD: Bear attack

I stumbled upon this article and found it very interesting for several reasons. I don't know if this has been discussed here before, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/36677...tml?source=rss

2. Remove Ads

I dearly love my .45s but I'd carry something more substantial in bear country.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

So a .45 to the forehead did nothing. 44 to the stomach no joy. Took a 44 behind the ear to do it plus another to finish him off. Magazine release accidentally hit and you're out of bullets. Here, a revolver would have come in handy, or atleast a backup. He's lucky to be alive.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I'm still trying to figure out how a lefty hit the mag release, but then I'm jumping to the conclusion that it was a 1911.

As much as I like the Gary Reeder heavy SA wheelguns, I think when it's a life-or-death situation the DA revolver is what I want in my hand. .44 Mag would be my minimum, and a .454 Casull would be a strong contender.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This reminds me of a recent Sarah Palin television episode.

I guess there was a reason they had her shooting a shotgun as "bear protection" when she was going to embark on a camping journey. This is one lucky guy.

Biker

+1 for revolvers
    -1 for semi's

in a fight with a bear.

Several things there that point out problems with semi's in a close up fight, espeically with a wild predator animal.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    A sourdough I know, married to a native, says the natives in the Kotzebue area like to use the 1911 with ball ammo for grizzlies. They break down the shoulders and peck him to death. They are a lot more likely to see the bear at a distance than I am, having a good deal more training and experience. The one time I was close to a surprised grizzly, my .44mag got smaller every time I shifted my focus from the bear to the gun sights. Didn't take long for me to feel like that gun was as useful as a cap pistol. I got a double barrel 12G right after that.

going for the groin? that bear did not play nice.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

It would be nice to know if he was using HP or FMJ rounds. I know with a boar, the head is the worst place to shoot them. Not sure about a bear. Everyone talks about grizzlies. But a black bear attack is nothing to fool with. A grizzly might let you loose when you quit struggling. Black bears generally don't.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

The 1911 .45 was tested by the Army and had to be able to kill a horse.
    Well, a bear will kill a horse too, long before the horse, and a .45, will kill the bear.

When in bear country, go BIG !
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If I'm going to track a bear, I'm toting something like a shotgun or high powered rifle.

The old saying goes, don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Well, don't bring a handgun to a bear fight. He's lucky to be alive and not to have been injured far worse.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

yikes! he's lucky to be alive, good thing it was a relatively small bear
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    A sourdough I know, married to a native, says the natives in the Kotzebue area like to use the 1911 with ball ammo for grizzlies. They break down the shoulders and peck him to death. They are a lot more likely to see the bear at a distance than I am, having a good deal more training and experience. The one time I was close to a surprised grizzly, my .44mag got smaller every time I shifted my focus from the bear to the gun sights. Didn't take long for me to feel like that gun was as useful as a cap pistol. I got a double barrel 12G right after that.
    I did an extended Motorcycle trip this last summer and before I left I consulted several Alaska Hunting Guides as to what would be best for self defense against bears while camping. Since we were riding 650 cc Dual Sport Bikes, carrying a big gun was not an option. There were several recommendations to carry a 45 with ball ammo. And like was said in your post, they all said to try and hit the bear in a shoulder to get him to spin and give you a broadside shot. Then they recommended unloading into the heart and lungs area. And they said to be sure to have several spare magazines in case it took more than the 8 I had in my pistol. They mentioned the peck it to death method. I think the key is to create as many deep wounds for a fast bleed out in as many vital areas as quickly as possible is the best way to deal with a pissed off bear with a handgun. They definilty discouraged a head shot. Said it would only piss the bear off.

Oh, and we only had one bear come through camp on night in Montana. He sniffed my tent flap three times, just inches from my head, but left without disturbing our camp. Other than the big old pile of defecation he did on the middle of the trail we had to use to leave our campsite to get back on the dirt road we were riding. Guess he wanted us to know we were intruding in his backyard. Fortunately for us we tied our edible foods high in a tree across the road before we went to bed. (Note: I'm assuming it was a male bear but I never checked the bear’s gender.)

I'm glad I didn't need it, but when I awoke to the sound of him sniffing my tent I had my 45 in my hand and ready.

The guy in the story was very lucky indeed. But I’m still puzzled at how he was able to eject the magazine with his left hand. He must have had a death grip on it.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

If I was out in bear country looking for a wounded bear, I believe that I would bring along a fast swinging 12 gauge shotgun with an 18 - 20 inch barrel and loaded with slugs.
    God bless our troops!

Big hardcast bullets. With tough, mean animals, you want to break the shoulder, and immobilize the critter. But perfect shot placement in a situation like that is not always feasable. Round profile bullets are great penetraters, but deflect easily, especially when encountering the contoured profile of a skull plate with the bullets round profile. Flat nosed bullets "dig in" with the edge and do a better job.

That is one lucky guy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links