If I had hammer...

This is a discussion on If I had hammer... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Armed only with a hammer, convenience store clerk (sorta) fends off robber with a big stick. (Note BG's stealth footwear)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I had hammer...

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

2. Remove Ads

That has to be the funniest robbery I've ever seen
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

It's too bad that dirtbag didn't bring that stick to a gun fight.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

toilet paper shoes? What the hell is going on here? This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen...

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I've practiced with the hammer. It is basically the same handling technique as using a hatchet.

While the standoff is happening, the BG with the stick has reach. He shows correct form when he uses it as a poking, jabbing tool. He fails when he holds it like a large bat.

The defender behind the counter lacks reach but he has a more powerful weapon if he understands how to use it.

He has one chance - it's when the BG starts climbing over the counter. At that moment, the defender could advance and take a shot or two at the BG's knees and elbows. One or two solid hits on the joints and this game is over. The defender fails to capitalize and loses the conflict at that moment. But he did have the shot and he should have taken it.

Here's my take: With BG on counter climbing over, step in and swing forehand striking side of kneecap. Backhand back and dig the claw hammer end back on same knee. Swing again and go for elbow or temple. Backhand again and chose any target of opportunity left. This would have been very straightforward - it's how you use a hammer for SD.

If you have trained in escrima or karate, then you know how to flip the weapon during the strike. You add a rotation and increase head-speed, like an escrima stick, nunchaku or sai. Utilized correctly, that hammer could have delivered a knockout shot.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I would have shot that idoit on the spot!
    I trained everyday and will be ready for the day that I have to defend myself or my family!

While I have to admit that this video is hilarious it could have been bad for the clerk. If the robber knew what he was doing that staff he was carrying would be deadly. That weapon if handled correctly is deadly at close range. I would rather have that than a knife anytime. Knowing that, I could not risk that he was the clown that he turned out to be. I would have had to end it before he got the chance to show how inept he was.

Michael

all that waving around of the long stick, that high counter made for ideal cover. let the stick guy get close then smash his foot. lots of small breakable bones there. then you can take his stick and make him a popsicle.

or just shoot him for armed robbery.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I was waiting for the credits to roll. It looked like a Laurel and Hardy movie.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Where'd the robber go? Out the back door?

Yeah, the defender failed to use the hammer correctly, he had a couple of potential shots before the BG climbed over, and a lovely chance to attack as the BG came off the counter.

VIP Member
    I'd have cleaned that guys clock with my hammer. The hammer was a WAY better weapon. That stick was too big to fight inside a store.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Various random thoughts since I am stunned at the idiocy of the event:

Should be set to music. I'm thinking the Benny Hill diddy.

One had a hammer and one was dancing like MC Hammer.

"Here, hold my stick while I grab the cash."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Where'd the robber go? Out the back door?

Yeah, the defender failed to use the hammer correctly, he had a couple of potential shots before the BG climbed over, and a lovely chance to attack as the BG came off the counter.

^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think BG hit the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I'd have cleaned that guys clock with my hammer. The hammer was a WAY better weapon. That stick was too big to fight inside a store.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As soon as BG swings stick, grab & pull under your arm, and either wrestle it away from him or just hold it and clobber him with the hammer.

Very confusing as to what country this was.
    American flag in the corner, but BG holding up store with stick???

"I lobbied against the law in 1993 and 1995 because I thought it would lead to wholesale armed conflict. That hasn't happened. All the horror stories I thought would come to pass didn't happen. No bogeyman. I think it's worked out well, and that says good things about the citizens who have permits. I'm a convert."
    Glenn White: President of the Dallas Police Association,
    Dallas Morning News, December 23, 1997
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Even when on the floor, the clerk had a couple of opportunities to take the BG down, but maybe it is better the BG just fled. It isn't clear to me at all what happened to the BG. It sort of looked like the clerk ran out the store and abandoned it to the BG, but then he went back in and ran out again. DOn't know what that was about.

Smarter move, give the guy the money and be done with it. There was one brief moment where the BG points directly at the clerk with his left hand. If he had a knife or gun in there it would have been over for the clerk in all probability.

Message for clerk, learn to use whatever device you plan on using to defend yourself. Here, OC would have worked very very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Even when on the floor, the clerk had a couple of opportunities to take the BG down, but maybe it is better the BG just fled. It isn't clear to me at all what happened to the BG. It sort of looked like the clerk ran out the store and abandoned it to the BG, but then he went back in and ran out again. DOn't know what that was about.
    It looked to me like he might have locked the bad guy inside.
    Not ALL stores have a back door, my pizza joint doesn't. Seems like it would be against fire codes.....but I dunno.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links