10 year old shoots mom in head

This is a discussion on 10 year old shoots mom in head within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ohio boy allegedly kills mother with Christmas gift CLEVELAND (Reuters) - A 10-year-old Ohio boy was being held in custody on Monday for allegedly shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old shoots mom in head

Ohio boy allegedly kills mother with Christmas gift

CLEVELAND (Reuters) - A 10-year-old Ohio boy was being held in custody on Monday for allegedly shooting and killing his mother with a rifle he received as a Christmas present.

www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70244J20110103
    Last edited by SIXTO; January 3rd, 2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: needed to comply with copyright rules
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Wow... I don't know what to say?

Has this boy ever shot a gun before? Has he ever had any gun safety training?

How many kids in this country receive their 1st .22 rifle at his age without shooting mom in the head?

However, guns are certainly not an appropriate gift for many children, depending on many factors. Maturity, prior exposure to weapons and level of training, etc. But for some kids at his age, yes... with rules, conditions, supervision and many other factors.

There's a lot missing to this story! Wow.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Administrator
    Local news is reporting the kid had some behavioral problems in the past.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Local news is reporting the kid had some behavioral problems in the past.
    Well, there you go! Give a child with behavior problems a gun?

I Think Not!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Why would anyone give a child with issues a gun? That seems to explain some things.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

10 years old is not too early to handle a gun... There's a right way and a wrong way to do anything.

I will agree that a child at 10 can learn to use a gun responsibly, under adult supervision. But 10 is still a bit young in my mind to have free access to firearms.

That is a tragic story.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    I had at least two firearms at age 10. I never killed anyone.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Shakes head.

http://www.projectchildsafe.org

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Amen to that Janq!

My Granddaughter will be 10 at the end of the year. I've been thinking of getting her a .22 single shot Cricket rifle for her birthday. However it will have a Lifejacket or similar type gun lock on it and either I or her parents will keep the key! That way, she can have pride of owning her own gun, yet safe to show her friends. (Again, under proper supervision, of course).

We will be spending this spring and summer working on safe gun handling, and shooting skills while working up to her birthday in November.

Then at age 11, I think she's eligible for the Hunter Safety Class. After that, we'll be hunting deer. Something she's been wanting to do for the last 2 years.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

That is what I'm screamin' Bark'n.
    Good on you brother!

Yes it can be the kids own gun, in family view and general _supervised_ handling and/or use.
    But as to keeping it stored that goes back into the family safe or is secured with a good quality lock (Lifejacket!) or hell just use the free cable locks that come with most every new gun purchase or pick one up from your local po-po no questions asked.

This mom got herself killed and orphaned BOTH of her children for no good and explainable reason.
    Seriously this is a no brainer, or should have been.

Never mind that the boy is reported to have had "behavioral" issues, what ever that might mean.
    So sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Agreed Janq and Bark'n! Behavioral problems or not, this still should not have happened. Apparently this kid had free access to the gun and ammunition. In my opinion, the gun should have had a lock on it and the ammunition also under lock and key. I know of plenty of parents who will take time out of their day if their kids want to handle the weapons to unlock them and assist them in doing so. You have to be willing to work with them like that, but that gun should have been locked up.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Either Mom was totally clueless to gun safety and kids... no not either, I think that nails it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    my daughters rifle only leaves the safe with me and i'm at her side while she uses it at the range...a childs curiosity alone could be enough to ruin several lives with a mistake...

VIP Member
    It doesn't say WHERE the firearm came from, only that it was a present.
    Where is DAD?
    Are the parents divorced; dad maybe gave the boy the rifle for Christmas, and mom was clueless.??

Lots missing from the WhOlE story!!

Multiple choice:

First Amendment to the Constitution:

A) Authorizes free speech for official State news agencies.
    B) Protects the individual's right to own quill pens and 18th century manual printing presses.
    C) Recognizes inalienable individual right to free speech.

2nd.Amendment to the Constitution:
    A) Authorizes posession of arms by the Army and National Guard.
    B) Protects the individual's right to own flint lock muskets and other 18th century arms.
    C) Recognizes inalienable individual right to keeping and bearing arms.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links