Police: Shots fired at Arizona mall

This is a discussion on Police: Shots fired at Arizona mall within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/05...pt=T1&iref=BN1 Oops... [Updated at 3:28 p.m.] CNN affiliate KTVK has aerial footage of the evacuated mall and several armed police officers surrounding the building. [Updated ...

Thread: Police: Shots fired at Arizona mall

Police: Shots fired at Arizona mall

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/05...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Oops...

[Updated at 3:28 p.m.] CNN affiliate KTVK has aerial footage of the evacuated mall and several armed police officers surrounding the building.

[Updated at 3:20 p.m.] Daniel Munoz Perez, the suspect being sought by federal marshals after being seen at an Arizona mall Wednesday, was accidentally released from prison last month, CNN affiliate KPHO-TV reports.

The 25-year-old man was accused of shooting at Arizona Department of Public Safety officers December 11 outside a home in Casa Grande, a law enforcement source told KPHO.

Munoz was injured in the shootout, admitted to a Phoenix hospital and held in another county's jail before he was turned over to Pinal County, the station reported.

The Pinal County Sheriff's Office, however, said it never received the charging documents for Munoz and he was released on a $320 misdemeanor bond December 17, according to KPHO.

[Updated at 3:14 p.m.] Helicopter video shows police officers crouching near a Baja Fresh restaurant with their guns drawn, and more shots may have been fired at the Chandler, Arizona, mall, reports CNN affiliate KPHO-TV.

[Updated at 3:01 p.m.] U.S. marshals in Arizona say they are looking for a fugitive wanted for the attempted murder of a police officer.

The suspect, who was located at the Chandler mall Wednesday, has been identified as Daniel Munoz Perez, U.S. Marshal David Gonzalez said. When security officers saw him, Perez began shooting then disappeared into the mall, Gonzalez said.

Federal marshals have been looking for Perez since December 16 when he was accidentally released from the Pinal County Sheriff's Office, he said.

[Posted at 2:54 p.m.] Police say they are looking for a fugitive at the Phoenix suburban mall where shots were fired earlier.

[Updated at 2:27] Shots were fired at a mall in Chandler, Arizona, on Wednesday, forcing the evacuation of the shopping center, authorities said.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

This is actually kindof an interesting situation with regard to concealed carry scenarios. If I were a hostage in the building, I'd be terrified of using my weapon to defend myself against the madmad for fear of being taken out by the SWAT team myself.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    In this case it appears he only trying to hide from LEO, I have not heard that he has taken hostages or that he is shooting people. Therefore how would you as a CC inside know who he was? If you saw him with a gun could he not be a CCer just like you?
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

UPDATE: Eyewitness: Man in custody after restaurant standoff near Arizona mall

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/05/...pt=T1&iref=BN1
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

How is one "accidentally" released from prison?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    In this case it appears he only trying to hide from LEO, I have not heard that he has taken hostages or that he is shooting people. Therefore how would you as a CC inside know who he was? If you saw him with a gun could he not be a CCer just like you?
    Indeed. If he isn't posing an immediate threat to myself or immediately closeby bystanders, then I think any engagement on my part would border on vigilantism, based on speculation of what they guy's intentions are. I would just "hunker down" as they say here in FL and wait it out, or find the nearest exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    At the time I posted, CNN was reporting an armed man holding hostages in the restaurant and shots having been fired.

"Baja Fresh customer Leyda Schultz told CNN that a gunman held at least two employees after ordering customers to leave" - CNN

"The gunman apparently fired warning shots at the restaurant."

If those things are true, then I think that knowing who the bad is would be fairly easy.

Links