Bad: Oregon police officer killed during struggle

This is a discussion on Bad: Oregon police officer killed during struggle within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/05/...ex.html?hpt=T2 A Rainier, Oregon, police officer who struggled with a suspect at a car audio shop was killed by a gunshot Wednesday, according to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Oregon police officer killed during struggle

Bad: Oregon police officer killed during struggle

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/05/...ex.html?hpt=T2

A Rainier, Oregon, police officer who struggled with a suspect at a car audio shop was killed by a gunshot Wednesday, according to the Columbia County Sheriff's Office.

The unidentified officer responded Wednesday morning to a disturbance at Rainier Sound Authority, the office said in a news release.

"The officer made contact with the suspect at the store and a struggle ensued. The officer was wounded with a gunshot and later was pronounced dead," the sheriff's office said.

Law enforcement agencies swarmed to the scene, and shots were fired.

The unidentified suspect was wounded and taken into custody, authorities said. The suspect was hospitalized under guard, but he had not been arrested as of early Wednesday afternoon.

Rainier is near the Washington border.

Jeff McCracken, the pastor at the nearby Rainier Assembly of God Church, told CNN affiliate KGW he heard police sirens and saw the confrontation.

"There were officers about 10 feet outside my window with AR-15s," he said. "We heard them start yelling at this guy inside to put his weapon down. I told everyone (in the church) to get down.

"Then all of a sudden a round came through the window I had been looking through, about six inches above my head, where I had just been standing," McCracken said. "I started yelling, 'Everybody get out, get out!'"

At that point, McCracken and the others inside the church ran to the opposite side of the building, he said. Police told them to stay inside as a safety precaution, according to KGW, based in Portland.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    KGW reports that the killed officer was, in fact, Ralph Painter, the Chief of the Rainier PD

http://www.kgw.com/news/Police-respo...112954474.html

According to the Officer Down Memorial page, the response was to an attempted car theft. The suspect apparently got hold of Chief Painter's service weapon.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20645-ch...-ralph-painter

Chief Painter is survived by his wife an seven children.

RIP brother. IMO 55 years old is pushing it for field action.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I hope they took the long way to the hospital/jail for a wood shampoo, having family in law enforcement these hit close to home. RIP Chief of Police Ralph Painter, thoughts and prayer for family and friends.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

RIP Chief.....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

God Speed Chief! Bless the Painter family!

My youngest son enters the Police Academy on Monday. Honorable profession without a great deal of thanks...until needed!
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Once in a great while, older folks think about becoming a reserve LEO, whereby if you meet the requirements, you’re effectively fit for the street. There are plenty of young officers who die that a super fit, but still end up dead in a struggle. I guess it just depends.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

That's true, but your often giving away thirty years, considering so many offenders are in their twenties.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

As of Thursday afternoon, Jan 7, a suspect has been booked into jail: click

Apparently, police were called when the suspect was seen hanging around acting suspicious. He got into a struggle with the officer then ended up shooting him in the head. Twenty-one years old, looking like he's to be charged with aggravated murder and be eligible for the death penalty.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is not Monday morning quarterbacking on my part as I was not there on scene and do not know the complete story on exactly what happened. I hope that something can be learned from this tragic event to keep it from happening to others.

When you get in close and hands on that is when so many of these incidents occur. Keeping distance if at all possible, waiting for backup and using the non-lethal tools on your belt are options that need to be considered before going hands on. Most officers today have retention holsters that give them somewhat of an edge over the old style single snap and out comes the handgun type holsters but the ultimate retention of the weapon is on the officer. The old statistic use to be one out of every 5 officers shot and killed was shot and killed with the weapon they were carrying. This has gone down somewhat due to the use of Level II and Level III holsters but still remains a situation to address with training and tactics.

RIP Chief
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As of Thursday afternoon, Jan 7, a suspect has been booked into jail: click

Apparently, police were called when the suspect was seen hanging around acting suspicious. He got into a struggle with the officer then ended up shooting him in the head. Twenty-one years old, looking like he's to be charged with aggravated murder and be eligible for the death penalty.
    It can't come fast enough. RIP Chief, you will be missed.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Totally messed up.

What in Gods name are these punks NOT thinking when the actions they take end up with circumstances such as this?

Killing a father of seven, oer car theft.

Blindfold and a cigarrette.

Prayers to the Chiefs family
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Totally messed up.

What in Gods name are these punks NOT thinking when the actions they take end up with circumstances such as this?

Killing a father of seven, oer car theft.

Blindfold and a cigarrette.

Prayers to the Chiefs family
    No blindfold, no cigarrette...bind him tightly and toss him to the gators, gators gotta' eat, too!

May the Chief R.I.P.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    A memorial service is being held Friday and is open to the public.

The procession will begin at 9:30am in Rainier, and will proceed to the service site at the Chiles Center in Portland.

From the City of Rainier website:

Memorial Ceremony

Date: Friday, January 14, 2011
    Time: 1:00 p.m.
    5000 North Willamette Blvd.
    Portland, OR

Memorial service for Rainier Police Chief Ralph Painter is at l:00 p.m. at University of Portland Chiles Center, 5000 North Willamette Boulevard, Portland.
    Public seating begins at noon.

Parking is very limited please carpool if at all possible. Officials strongly recommend parking off campus where on street and other parking is available. If planning on parking on campus, use the main entrance off N. Willamette Blvd. and expect long delays due to the parking of procession vehicles prior to the ceremony.
    Anyone who will be in the Portland area today is welcome to attend and pay their respects.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Ranier is a SMALL logging town, about 35-40 West of Portland, right on the Columbia river (we used to be rivals back when I went to high school in my home town just over the coast range). I would be surprised if Ranier has more than 3 or 4 full-time officers. In those small rural towns, the chief is usually one of the active patrol division--since they are ALL the "patrol division", and all the traffice enforcement division, and all the public safety division, and (etc, etc)..........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links