SAD: Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters has passed. (Merged) - Page 2

SAD: Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters has passed. (Merged)

This is a discussion on SAD: Maj. Richard "Dick" Winters has passed. (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For those interested in such things, Maj. winters wrote a book called "Beyond the band of brothers" Its an awesome read and gives a glimpse ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    For those interested in such things, Maj. winters wrote a book called "Beyond the band of brothers" Its an awesome read and gives a glimpse into the true story without all the Hollywood dramatic license. I recommend it highly to those interested in history, leadership or just great stories in general.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It rarely bothers me when a celebrity dies; Maj. Winters is different. RIP.
    And sadly, many of my generation would be a lot more upset if Lady Gaga passed, because reading books is "beneath" them, or too time consuming or some such bs. I have had the opportunity on several occasions to talk to vets from WW2, Korea, and Vietnam, I find those interactions much more entertaining than Jersey Shore.

Winters: That night, I took time to thank God for seeing me through that day of days and prayed I would make it through D plus 1. And if, somehow, I managed to get home again, I promised God and myself that I would find a quiet piece of land someplace and spend the rest of my life in peace.
    When TAPS plays here on base tonight, I will be saluting for Maj. Winter, and all the others who gave so much before me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Rest in Peace Maj. Winters... ... you earned it !!!
    I reject your reality, and insert my own.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Just read that Maj. Winters donated all royalties from the mini-series and his book to various veterans organizations and breast cancer research. That makes him a separate class of hero. Men like him will be missed. RIP Maj. Winters, you have definitely earned your peaceful sleep.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Rest in peace sir......*salute*. Shifty Powers from the same company also died last year. These men were great war heroes.

Wow truly a sad passing,I was in San Antonio last weekend riding with a friend Purple Heart recipient from Afghanistan,we ran into the Wounded Warriors Program soldiers,and visited a couple of his guys that made it back but were also wounded.up front personal contact with these brave men choked me up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Wall Street Journel had a good article on him in this morning's issue. He deserved every accolade and good thought everybody ever had about him, and then some.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

RIP... No doubt the best Generation is almost gone, Salute.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links