Bad: Baltimore Plainclothes Cop Killed By Uniformed Cops

This is a discussion on Bad: Baltimore Plainclothes Cop Killed By Uniformed Cops within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Baltimore policeman was killed by other policemen as he was trying to break up a fight outside a night club. A civilian was also ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Baltimore Plainclothes Cop Killed By Uniformed Cops

Bad: Baltimore Plainclothes Cop Killed By Uniformed Cops

A Baltimore policeman was killed by other policemen as he was trying to break up a fight outside a night club. A civilian was also killed.

BALTIMORE – Baltimore police say that fellow officers fired the gun shots that killed a plainclothes officer during a melee outside a nightclub.

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefield III said on Monday that no civilians fired any shots.

Officer William Torbit Jr. was on duty in plainclothes when he responded to a report of trouble at the club. ................................... Torbit was trying to break up a fight when he was attacked and pulled out his weapon to defend himself.

At some point after that, officers opened fire, killing the officer. Police say Torbit was wearing his badge but there were no other indicators he was police.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_baltimore_police_shooting
    Last edited by Sig 210; January 11th, 2011 at 08:38 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Just because you see someone with a gun does not mean they are the bad guy.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Just because you see someone with a gun does not mean they are the bad guy.
    + 1 ............. RIP Officer Torbit
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Those officers who fired are probley inconsolable right now.

Just bad all-around.

From "ourangelsinheaven" website:

"Baltimore, Maryland
    Baltimore City Police Department
    Officer William H. Torbit Jr.
    End Of Watch: 01-09-11
    Officer William Torbit, 33, was shot and killed while trying to break up a mob fight and save a young woman. At 0115 hrs. a fight broke out outside a dance club. Officer Torbit, who was working plain clothes undercover nearby on another assignment, heard the commotion and went to break it up. However, things turned real bad real fast for Brother William. As he tried to help one of the women get away from those causing her trouble, he was mob attacked by others. All of a sudden, Officer Torbit found himself surrounded by these angry, hateful people as they jumped him, trapping him. During the fight for his life, someone ripped his badge from his neck and attempted to grab for his weapon. Additional Officers began to arrive. The patrons from inside the club were all gathering around making this a truly chaotic scene. Screams were heard "F*** the Police!" As other Officers arrived, Officer Torbit turned with his weapon in his hand trying desperately to keep it in his possession. But the Officers only saw a man with a handgun and they fired thinking they were protecting the people. There was no way the other Officers could know this was their Brother. They were trying to keep a gunman from harming the club-goers. Officer Torbit was hit several times by gunfire. The moment the Officers realized what had just happened, they scooped their Brother up into their arms and tried to carry him to the patrol car but it took several moments before the mob would let them near it as they continue to curse at the Officers. He was rushed to the hospital but succumbed to his wounds at 0230 hrs. Another Officer, Harry Dodge, 37, was also struck in his ankle by gunfire. A civilian, lost his life (cause is not yet known) during the melee and three others received injuries.

Officer Torbit has spent the last eight years Saving, Serving and Protecting the People of Baltimore. Even the civilians who contributed to his death. William worked with the ops unit (plain clothes) in the Central District and was very well liked and respected by his peers. Known as 'the Cool Guy', Will, who was rarely seen without a smile on his face and a joke at the ready, was funny, humbled and always there to help whomever asked. But it wasn't just his fellow Officers who loved him. His neighbors also thought the world of this Hero. He really took care of his own neighborhood by cleaning up trash and debris making sure the roadway was safe to drive and sidewalks save for the kids bike riding. He would often offer to dispose of large items by offering his truck and his muscles to his neighbors. Above all else though, the children loved Officer Torbit. He was an amazing role model and always made sure to 'teach by doing'. They really looked up to their Protector. Officer Torbit will be missed by so many. We will never forget how he lived as only a Hero could.

Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Torbit family as well as to all the Men and Women of the Baltimore Police Department. This tragic event is without a doubt every Officer's worst nightmare on the job. We pray so hard that the Officers know that this was not their fault. They were doing their jobs by trying to protect. Our hope is that everyone affected finds the healthy way to get through this ... together. Prayers to Officer Dodge for a speedy and full recovery also. "
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My biggest nightmare as a concealed carry person, and same concern as by my anti-carry wife.
    Being mistaken for game/threat by either criminals and/or police.

Edit:
    As noted by CTSketch below concern at current toward being mistaken as a BG/threat/antagonist by a civilian is also a very real concern.

No thing worth doing comes without a degree of risk. : |

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; January 11th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    This is a sad story. It has happened before that plain clothes officers were gunned down by their own. Will no doubt happen again as it is a hazard that goes with the job.

Incidents as this show just how dangerous for the ordinary CHL holder intervening might become; if the other LEOs don't recognize their own and will shoot, what chance do we all have in similar situations? Janq, your wife as mine are not wrong in their fears, and mine is not anti at all.

Which brings me to an OT illustration. Briefly, a 12 y.o. was stabbed at a McD's last night. The perp. has escaped and is being sought. Our local TV station has a web based discussion forum, and amazingly there are people posting there that they have CHLs and plan to go to the McD to "protect it." I have of course pointed out that we are not cops and doing so would be foolish and unwise. The present story also illustrates how dangerous too.

VIP Member
    Brings renewed focus to ‘saving the day’ in a chaotic scenario.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

That is one of my fears as well. More being mistaken as a BG by another carrier more than police though.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Hmmm, should everyone involved in the mob be charged with murder? Wouldn't hurt my feelings. It was a result of their actions.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member
    One of the many problems with vilifying guns.

It's no surprise that this occurred in one of the more anti- states. It is assumed that anyone with a gun is a BG.

A tragic accident caused in part by a flawed mindset.

+1 to all comments especially ctsketch...i have a fear that i will be targeted by another cwp holder thinking im the bad guy. in a defensive situation i might think he is with the BG i am defending myself against. ...........scary!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by warmxd9 View Post
    +1 to all comments especially ctsketch...i have a fear that i will be targeted by another cwp holder thinking im the bad guy. in a defensive situation i might think he is with the BG i am defending myself against. ...........scary!
    That apparently happened in Tucson. The man who disarmed the shooter was ID'd as the shooter by a ccw carrier. Fortunately, he went hands-on instead of opening fire.

Friendly fire...isn't.

Prayers to all the officers involved and their families.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I know for a fact that plainsclothes officers are issued Jackets,and vests with Police on them,Maybe they need to make it policy that any plainclothes officers responding to disturbances are required to don jacket/vest with identifiers.even a badge around your neck may not be seen in time by responding officers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I dont know the true story but the shooting police officers, if found to have used really bad judgement and/or lack of judgement, I hope they face a jury for at least involuntary manslaughter minimum. What if that was my father who is a retired Deputy Sheriff from mobile county Al.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links