Westboro Church to protest funeral of 9 year old ...... - Page 5

Westboro Church to protest funeral of 9 year old ......

This is a discussion on Westboro Church to protest funeral of 9 year old ...... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by atctimmy The Constitution only limits the power of the government. WE THE PEOPLE could stop them, we are not bound by the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Westboro Church to protest funeral of 9 year old ......

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The Constitution only limits the power of the government. WE THE PEOPLE could stop them, we are not bound by the Constitution in any way.

The problem with America these days is that WE THE PEOPLE have forgotten how to govern ourselves. This protest would not have taken place 50 years ago. Butts would have been kicked!
    That's the most profound, broad-reaching statement I heard/read in a long time.................
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member
    Sig 35,
    My first reaction is simply YES.

But yes there are bigger issues here and no we don't want to swamp the constitution. It just seems that it is selectively ignored (Wisconsin gun laws, Illinois gun laws, affirmative action, women owned business preferences, etc). You can argue that I am only digging a deeper hole, i.e. if a wrong has been done then another on is "ok".

This issue just gets to the raw bones, man's inhumanity to man, all that stuff from college philosophy.

Now I'll really stop.

White wings? No, baseball bats!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Then you don't really have the rule of law, you have a fiefdom.
    Get serious. Cops decide every day which laws to enforce, and which to ignore.
    Ever see a cop pulled over for speeding? I thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    The Constitution only limits the power of the government. WE THE PEOPLE could stop them, we are not bound by the Constitution in any way.

The problem with America these days is that WE THE PEOPLE have forgotten how to govern ourselves. This protest would not have taken place 50 years ago. Butts would have been kicked!
    You are correct.

The First Amendment doesn’t give people freedom of speech but instead prohibits Congress from infringing on people’s freedom of speech.

However, this certainly gives them the freedom to do their protest. So the solution you suggest is to enact violence upon them? Beat them on their heads like the cave men did? No,we need to move forward not backward.

The law they enacted prohibiting the distance of protest is a sensible, enforceable resolution to the problem.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I wish I could be there. I would exercise my 1st Amendment right to aim some directional loudspeakers at these idiots and crank Metallica at about 100 decibels.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    White wings? No, baseball bats!

Get serious. Cops decide every day which laws to enforce, and which to ignore.
    Ever see a cop pulled over for speeding? I thought not.
    Yeah, the only laws he refuses to enforce are minor things like AZ's immigration law.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

I heard on the radio today the WBC is going to skip the funeral of the young lady, but protest at other funerals. They are still everything said above and more.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    They took the site down can you go back and edit your original post that started this and tell us what they are protesting? Thanks a million!
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    What a horrible, disturbing group this is. My problem with religious extremes is exactly this vile crap.

According to them...God, being all powerful, created the shooter for a reason. They who support abortion rights and support gay rights are going against the direct message of the Bible and God is punishing them.

As a side note: I've heard Bill O'reilly and Mike Huckabee say the same thing recently during discussions about gays in the military and in my opinion support the same hate message just not as extreme as these people. As Huckabee said..."it's wrong and it says so right in the Bible".
    Perhaps I'll get dunned by the mods for this, but that's okay. To point out what Scripture says (and it does say that the practice of homosexuality is wrong) is NOT hate speech. And it is offensive to many people to suggest that it is. And before I get dinged on this, mods, remember to treat equally the one who started it with his offensive comment.

You may disagree with someone, but that does not make their comments hate speech.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; January 12th, 2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: misplaced word
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Perhaps I'll get dunned by the mods for this, but that's okay. To point out what Scripture says (and it does say that the practice of homosexuality is wrong) is NOT hate speech. And it is offensive to many people to suggest that it is. And before I get dinged on this, mods, remember to treat equally the one who started it with his offensive comment.

You may disagree with someone, but that does not make their comments hate speech.
    Since we can't openly discuss religion I sent you a private explanation with the quote from the Bible showing it IS hate speech.

OD*
    Since we can't openly discuss religion I sent you a private explanation with the quote from the Bible showing it IS hate speech.
    Could you also PM me with that, please?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Because it would be a terrible thing to have a differing opinion of an issue based on a belief. At what point will thinking someone else is wrong be hate speech? At what point will disagreeing with the anti's and standing up for the 2A be hate speech? My problem with the WBC folks is that the majority of their conclusions about what the Bible says are easily seen as wrong by someone with just a personal studying of the Bible. And they are drawing false and violent conclusions from it. My problem with "hate speech" is that one side seems to have the lock on deciding what it is. So be careful, they are anti gun too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    My problem with the WBC folks is that the majority of their conclusions about what the Bible says are easily seen as wrong by someone with just a personal studying of the Bible.
    I disagree. They are taking the word of the Bible literally. I question how many people really have actually read the Bible.

I'll send you a private message for your review.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Thank you sir

Edit: sorry they are requesting that I disarm myself voluntarily so that I may attend. I will pass out of respect because I will disarm myself for no one.
    I would be attending, armed as usual. Its not like you'll have an AK slung over a tac vest loaded with mags, bangs, and rambo knife showing.
    I would think your presence with concealed weapon (unknown to the family) would give both you and them some support and satisfaction.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I agree with 64zebra, they won't know you're armed, yet will still appreciate your support in their tough time.

I know my little brother will be there, armed as usual.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links