Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats - Page 2

Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats

This is a discussion on Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; me too Hopyard, I just ordered the book, I gotta read and add to my collection...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats

VIP Member
    me too Hopyard, I just ordered the book, I gotta read and add to my collection
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Just out of curiosity how come law enforcement is the first to be blamed for the actions of a suspect? The one to blame is the shooter. Someone said if he had been arrested for the threats he could have not purchased a firearm, true. Do you think criminals have problems getting guns on the street, no! I have been a Deputy now for 30 years now and I have seen before L.E. get blamed for someone else's actions. Do you think this Loughner fellow is the only mentally unstable person in Tuscon, doubt it. Sometimes I think people in general want to blame others for someone's else's actions. So law enforcement is the people's choice. I have personally dealt with the mentally unstable person before, some are violent, some are not. Also have arrested plenty criminals with guns to and most of them were stolen.Whats to say he could have driven a vehicle into the crowd killing people and had no drivers license, is the DMV's fault for allowing it to happen. I think it is disgusting what the suspect did and no excuse he could give can explain his actions. I pray and hope the judicial system gives him the just punishment he deserves.
    May God bless those who lost their lives and I pray for the recovery of the injured.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    Just out of curiosity how come law enforcement is the first to be blamed for the actions of a suspect? .
    In this instance it is because some people here don't like the sheriff's politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Interesting. I'm surprised I had not heard of this event before. You'd think it would have garnered lots of national attention, and maybe it did and I just missed it at the time.

OK, now lets get back to thread topic. AZ--thanks for the info. Biker, thanks for helping me learn something today.
    No worries Hopyard.

That event has shaped my life, as I was living in the area at the time, and knew some of the Cochise County Deputies involved. It also made me realize what a piece of trash Bruce Babbit and Jesse Jackson are. Sheriff Dupnik sent his deputies from Tucson, and they arrived at about the same time as the AZ DPS, who were staged just up the road for this event. Considering that the Pima County Deputies had to drive anywhere from fifty to one hundred and fifty miles, depending on where they were in the county, I find it remarkable that it took AZ DPS that long to drive less than twenty miles.

Biker

VIP Member
    Just out of curiosity how come law enforcement is the first to be blamed for the actions of a suspect? The one to blame is the shooter. Someone said if he had been arrested for the threats he could have not purchased a firearm, true. Do you think criminals have problems getting guns on the street, no!
    Blair - I don't blame the Sheriff for the shooting. I, like you, blame the shooter for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    In this instance it is because some people here don't like the sheriff's politics.
    Hopyard & Blair - the Sheriff's politics have nothing to do with whether or not he performed his duty. As I and others have said, this is still speculation, but supposing it is true, the Sheriff would have failed to arrest someone making death threats. It is not the Sheriff's place to determine whether or not to prosecute the threats, that belongs to the DA. The DA, however, rarely ever sees anything that the cops don't bring up in the first place.

Blair - you ask if the perp could not have gotten an illegal gun, probably he could have as you suggest. That would not have made the sheriff an accessory. Failure to perform his duty may have directly lead to the availability of the weapon used to kill and wound many. In my book, and IANAL, this suggests accessory. It has nothing to do with being directly responsible for the murder, it has to do with failing, apparently willfully, in his duty to protect the public at large.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Just out of curiosity how come law enforcement is the first to be blamed for the actions of a suspect?
    Law enforcement was not the first to be blamed for the actions of the suspect. Sarah Palin and Rush Limbaugh were the first to be blamed for the shooting as well as others in talk radio. And for a large part of it, it was Sheriff Dupnik driving the bus!

I personally have no opinion on Sheriff Dupnik other than he seems to have inserted himself into the whole ordeal for political gains, and to be one of the first to blame the deed on political rhetoric from Rush Limbaugh and right wing talk radio.

I figure since he's done that, and has been sharply criticized for it, he's going to be on the receiving end of a media colonoscopy. The facts will come out, one way or another, whether he dropped the ball, showed favoritism or participated in cronyism in this case. When the facts are laid out, he will either be exonerated or have some explaining to do.

I only blame the demented shooter, which is where the ultimate blame lies. It's his deed. He bought it, he will be the one to pay for it.

As far as Sheriff Dupnik goes.... He opened that can of worms himself.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Being a LEO I believe in facts and I will wait till they come out. But I have seen where the victims just want L.E. to just talk to a subject making threats and to leave them alone for whatever reason. They do not want them arrested no matter what we tell them. I can imagine the calls they get daily from people saying they were threaten for whatever reason.We can make a mountain out of a mole hill on this too.We run into problems with our DA also especially when it is a he say, she say matter.So let the facts come out before judgment to give everyone a fair shake. I know everyone is on edge because of this incident and with the media in the mix of things sometimes bias plays a big part on the information given out and people's perception is sometimes based on misinformation. Wrong is wrong but right is right also. You all talk about politics come to Louisiana if you want to see politics at its best. I promise you will be entertained!

You all talk about politics come to Louisiana if you want to see politics at its best. I promise you will be entertained!
    You mean Huey Long is back?

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Blair - I don't blame the Sheriff for the shooting. I, like you, blame the shooter for that.

Hopyard & Blair - the Sheriff's politics have nothing to do with whether or not he performed his duty. As I and others have said, this is still speculation, but supposing it is true, the Sheriff would have failed to arrest someone making death threats. It is not the Sheriff's place to determine whether or not to prosecute the threats, that belongs to the DA. The DA, however, rarely ever sees anything that the cops don't bring up in the first place.

Blair - you ask if the perp could not have gotten an illegal gun, probably he could have as you suggest. That would not have made the sheriff an accessory. Failure to perform his duty may have directly lead to the availability of the weapon used to kill and wound many. In my book, and IANAL, this suggests accessory. It has nothing to do with being directly responsible for the murder, it has to do with failing, apparently willfully, in his duty to protect the public at large.
    It definitely does with regard of his refusal to enforce the illegal alien law recently passed in AZ.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

This is a bombshell...But like others it's just a blogger and ANYBODY can call them self that including me right now and write whatever they want fact or not.

I'm going to wait and see how this all pans out.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

BikerRN,The Kingfish is long gone but his tactics are still around but a little weaker now times have changed the people would not tolerate it today as much. He was something else they say. I talked to my grandparents about him and to say the least it was entertaining on some of the stories they told. Hell you can go to prison now for some of the stuff he pulled.

"Interesting" is a nice way to put it.

As for going to jail for some of the stuff he pulled, I'm not so sure that his way of doing things wasn't better. Of course that would depend on if you were with the "in crowd" or not. That's not so different than a lot of things today though.

Biker

Administrator
    The shooters Mother worked for the Pima County Dept. of Parks & Recreation and so that is probably why the county Sheriff gave her brain-mangled kid so many passes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The shooters Mother worked for the Pima County Dept. of Parks & Recreation and so that is probably why the county Sheriff gave her brain-mangled kid so many passes.
    That is quite a presumption. First you make the assumption he was given special treatment and then you speculate that it was because momma worked in Parks and Recreation. Just for example, I have a friend with 2 teenage sons who works for our Parks and Recreation. The sheriff for the county doesn't know these people from Adam, and the city police may know the dad but certainly not well enough to give his kids any special attention.

This thread popped up for one reason only. And I have already stated what it is. Also, in response to #24, what does any of this have to do with illegal aliens? Never mind that the injured weren't and the sheriff isn't, and so for this issue, fine, you don't like the sheriff because he has a position on illegal aliens. That has nothing to do whatsoever with the topic.

Administrator
    Time will tell if I'm right or wrong I guess.

The LEOs were called to the school on 5 different occasions directly related to the kid.

On one occasion the Sheriff stated that he was being well managed. Obviously he was not.

His best friend stated that he never watched TV news and never listened to "talk radio" and that he was neither right or left regarding his political beliefs.

But, his favorite books were Mein Kamph, The Communist Manifesto, & The Little Red Book - So I guess we could safely state that his fondness for Hitler, Marx, & The Little Red Chairman hardly paint him as an active "Right Wing" Tea Party Member being as he also once burned the American flag and there is not too much of that going on at the Tea Party rallies.

Also real funny how his defense attorney that almost instantly popped up just happens to be the same defense attorney that defended the radical left wing UniBomber.

That would be the very same UniBomber that had a dog-eared copy of Al Gore's book Earth in the Balance in his secret squirrel hideaway.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links