Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats - Page 4

Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats

This is a discussion on Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Hopyard I do think all the violent rhetoric that gets tossed around rather carelessly, including sometimes here when folks talk about a ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sheriff Dupnik gave Loughner several passes on death threats

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I do think all the violent rhetoric that gets tossed around rather carelessly, including sometimes here when folks talk about a right to rebel or talk about military soldiers taking oaths to disobey orders, or speak of our government as tyrannical, is highly detrimental to our country and may or may not have been part of this affair; we don't know as the accused has chosen to not speak.
    Like you said yourself, this is just your opinion with no factual relevance to what happened....

Quote Originally Posted by Blair View Post
    Just out of curiosity how come law enforcement is the first to be blamed for the actions of a suspect? The one to blame is the shooter. Someone said if he had been arrested for the threats he could have not purchased a firearm, true. Do you think criminals have problems getting guns on the street, no! I have been a Deputy now for 30 years now and I have seen before L.E. get blamed for someone else's actions. Do you think this Loughner fellow is the only mentally unstable person in Tuscon, doubt it. Sometimes I think people in general want to blame others for someone's else's actions. So law enforcement is the people's choice. I have personally dealt with the mentally unstable person before, some are violent, some are not. Also have arrested plenty criminals with guns to and most of them were stolen.Whats to say he could have driven a vehicle into the crowd killing people and had no drivers license, is the DMV's fault for allowing it to happen. I think it is disgusting what the suspect did and no excuse he could give can explain his actions. I pray and hope the judicial system gives him the just punishment he deserves.
    May God bless those who lost their lives and I pray for the recovery of the injured.
    I think that the Sheriff in this case gets some blame because he came out with a personal biased non fact based accusation of a whole bunch of people. He had no business making accusations with no evidence what so ever. However I have read the story that the Sheriff himself said the shooter had previously made death threats. This makes everyone wonder if the Sheriff with guilty feelings was trying to cover up his own incompetency. Take away his unprofessional actions and I don't think you get the attacks (at least this early before we have all the facts).
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If this guy had made multiple (as in dozens) of death threats against persons in the past then LE IS culpable. If this article is true then there CLEARLY was a reason to put this guy behind bars BEFORE he went on a shooting spree. If making death/terroristic threats is a crime then this guy should have been off the streets!
    I will not jump to conclusions until the facts come out. Just look at other shootings occuring in malls, schools, college campuses where mass shootings occurred I guess L.E. were responsible for those too. Of course government have deep pockets, been there done that when it comes to people suing. To me committing murder is a state of mind crime where prevention is almost impossible. When its comes to security, President Reagan was shot with a PSD around him along with other people. I am assuming if she wanted security it was a phone call away.
    Also I do believe that there is more than 1 mentally disturbed person living in Tuscon too that have the potential to be violent too so do we lock them up too. How about everybody be pissed at the guy who committed this heinous crime instead of arm chair quarterback review. If there is a file on this guy lets see it. Maybe state law needs changing when dealing with the mentally disturb person.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    That is quite a presumption. First you make the assumption he was given special treatment and then you speculate that it was because momma worked in Parks and Recreation. Just for example, I have a friend with 2 teenage sons who works for our Parks and Recreation. The sheriff for the county doesn't know these people from Adam, and the city police may know the dad but certainly not well enough to give his kids any special attention.

This thread popped up for one reason only. And I have already stated what it is. Also, in response to #24, what does any of this have to do with illegal aliens? Never mind that the injured weren't and the sheriff isn't, and so for this issue, fine, you don't like the sheriff because he has a position on illegal aliens. That has nothing to do whatsoever with the topic.
    It has to do with the sheriff letting his political leanings cause him to ignore his duty, or didn't you bother to read it?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Hey Blair let me ask you this. Is it your duty to investigate a possible felony if a complaint is made to you? Yes?

Jared Loughner has been making death threats by phone to many people in Pima County including staff of Pima Community College, radio personalities and local bloggers.

Is a death threat a felony in AZ?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

I'll stand by my previous post and say that IF the above is true then it sure as heck is LEs fault. You'll notice the "if" is the big question here.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Hopyard & Bark'n,

Even plain clothes security...As n not obvious wearing a uniform types.

For example this past spring I'd attended as an invitee the UMass-Amherst annual Faculty Convocation.
    This is invite only not open to the public attended largely by faculty and a few select non-faculty guests as among the UMass system, state reps again...And me.

There were less than 100 people on site actual, I have no idea how many were invited.
    They had security.
    A three man team of plain clothed ill fitting suit wearing you gotta be kidding me tac type smoked color 'eyepro' (only a shooter or industry person would recognize them as such) sporting black tac boots.
    This was a quiet day event within the central heart of the campus.

They even had the mind to provide some security. And they were armed as noted by the poorly fitting Sunday suits they had selected to wear and clearly to me did not purchase while taking into account executive/vip detail work. I'd posted about this some time ago in a thread about wearing proper clothing as when in a civilian _concealed_ intent mode of dress.

If a bunch of professors and a college chancellor are deemable to have security, then MOST definitely a sitting congress person intending to give a political dialog public 'meeting' should.
    Even as other folks normal protocol has not been to give this item a second thought; As based on caught by OMG I can't believe this happened results.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Hopyard & Bark'n,

Even plain clothes security...As n not obvious wearing a uniform types.
    - Janq
    Janq, as for the first outdoor rally I mentioned above there might have been or might not have been plain clothes security, but I doubt there was any. No one was hanging close or hovering, and there was free access to a handshake. That incident was at a somewhat more calm political moment.

As for security at the second venue I mentioned, no--- I either recognized everyone there or knew someone who recognized them, or they were young interns. Again, no one hovered near the critter to offer instant protection of any sort.

Probably, I was the most scary looking person in the place as I attended an evening affair dressed in my usual wranglers and tennis shoes. I looked out of place and probably caused a little low level concern for the critter---and I realized that too late, so I avoided engaging him in conversation and kept my distance so as to not make him feel uncomfortable.

On returning home I caught it from the big boss of the house for having made a posterior of myself by not at least putting on dress slacks. A lesson learned along the lines of my previous posts that one should dress appropriately to avoid standing out and becoming a target for a BG.

It looks like things security wise will change in the future. Unfortunate.

And for all the government haters out there, really, the critters I mentioned were very ordinary real human beings and not some alien creature who wants to destroy America.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Hey Blair let me ask you this. Is it your duty to investigate a possible felony if a complaint is made to you? Yes?

Is a death threat a felony in AZ?

Do you see where I'm going with this?

I'll stand by my previous post and say that IF the above is true then it sure as heck is LEs fault. You'll notice the "if" is the big question here.
    Yes it is but what facts are present he say she say or text messages, letters, etc.something that back ups the allegations, the burden of proof lies with the state. Maybe some of the complaints the victims just wanted reported but wanted no action. I have seen that numerous times in domestic incidents.Even if you did arrest victims sometimes do not show up in court causing charges being dropped. Lets say Loughner was arrested some hot shot lawyer comes in saying my client is unstable and needs help. They send off for treatment, give him some meds 6-12 months later they give him the stamp of approval and put him back out into society. Then 1 day he forgets taking his meds and goes off the deep end and kills someone(s), who are we going to blame now. This happens all over this country as we speak. Here in Louisiana we refer it to as Terrorizing which carries a max. 15 years.(felony)when making death threats.
    Opinions everybody has one and I respect that. No matter what we say here, it will never bring back the lives that were lost and injured that day in Tuscon.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Would such a detail have been able to stop the shooting in specific of Giffords? Not without aid of some major happenstance luck.
    How about her aid who was killed standing to her side? Nope for him too...Second round exits the barrel just as quick as the first.
    But what about the other 28 rounds fired that hit 18 other people and killed five others in specific including the 9 yr. old girl there to see & hear what political discourse is like? I'd be willing to bet strongly on Yes.
    We'll never know but there is also the chance that an alert officer could of picked up cues before the shooting even started and would of had this guy proned out before he could of hurt anyone.

Administrator
    Dupnik is a clown and he has proven it over and over this past week. But, once again, this is out of the forums scope. Closed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links