GOOD? DeLay goes down swinging...

This is a discussion on GOOD? DeLay goes down swinging... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Former Sen. Tom "the Hammer" DeLay, just sentenced to 3 years in prison for money laundering, was on the Today Show this morning giving ...

Thread: GOOD? DeLay goes down swinging...

Thumbs up GOOD? DeLay goes down swinging...

The Former Sen. Tom "the Hammer" DeLay, just sentenced to 3 years in prison for money laundering, was on the Today Show this morning giving an interview about his appeals etc. Matt Lauer, asked him if he would have done differently in advocating the sunset of the AWB, given the AZ tragedy.

He replied, "Absolutely not. There is even new proposed legislation to ban firearms and concealed weapons within 1000 feet of a politican. I would welcome persons with Concealed weapons permits to my town meetings and public gatherings, to help keep the evil people like Jared Loughner away."

Dont know if he is guilty for money laundering or not, but he definitely stands on his beliefs of 2nd amendment and gun owners. At least at face value.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Now we just need to get every politician to think that way. They need to realize that theres more good than bad out there(at least for now) when it pertains to gun owners. If they start banning everything the problems wont go away. I'm trying to understand how these politicians are coming to the conclusion that banning firearms will keep the bad guys from getting them.
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

The man is a felon. Great spokesperson for the 2A...NOT

We can do better.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

We can do better.
    Precisely. Why do we listen to the words of felons? Why do we think that people who have messed up their own lives so badly that they will do jail time have anything worthwhile to offer us in the way of "truth."

BTW, this isn't a new phenomenon. We have seen several notable felons become big time radio & tv personalities. A former Nixon plumber who served many years in jail; a former police officer who perjured himself and destroyed the first OJ Simpson trial; a former military officer who had a conviction overturned but who no doubt improperly used Federal money to put security systems on his home. None of these are respectable people and non could be issued a CHL in most jurisdictions.

We demean ourselves by seeking support from such people. We might as well go to the state penitentiary, find an armed robber, and use him as the poster child for gun rights. See how far that tactic would get us.

DeLay was the victim of the partisan politics he was a master of; Ronnie Earle, the Travis county DA who went after him had an axe to grind with DeLay for years. Look for this to be an important case because both parties engage in this kind of activity all the time; if the conviction sticks, then there should be a whole bunch of similar cases to follow.

It should be interesting to note that DeLay was convicted on mainly circumstantial evidence and that at one point during the trial deliberations, the Judge, Pat Priest had to come down on the jury to get them back on track......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Dont get me wrong. I am a probation officer. I understand he is a convicted felon, but he stood for gun owners when he was in good standing. If he did launder money he is a crook like any other. Unlike police officers, every person I deal with on a professional basis in an enforcement capacity is a convicted felon. There is nobody more against crime and its unfortunate consequences, than me. My point is, he had every reason to abandon said causes for self preservation and try to use the show as a platform to further his appeal, and try to prove his innocence, but he didnt.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

DeLay also had money for better legal representation than most could afford or hope for. Still guilty. Bad legal representation...maybe. Jury still found him guilty.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Admittedly I don't know much about DeLay or this case, however, just saying that a jury found him guilty does nothing (for me) to prove that he actually IS guilty.

Juries mess up ALL THE TIME! Juries award complete IDIOTS millions of dollars for spilling coffee on themselves, or because they ate at a certain fast food establishment and got fat.

I believe that our system is the best, but it has major flaws as well.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; January 13th, 2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spell
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

We can do better.
    Exactly.
    DeLay was found guilty by a jury of his peers. He is no different from any other convicted felon. For the life of me i cannot understand why law abiding gun owners put any stock in what felons like DeLay and G. Gordon Liddy have to say.

I agree; "do the crime" then "do the time".

Links