Another perspective on the AZ tragedy not changing gun lawsn

This is a discussion on Another perspective on the AZ tragedy not changing gun lawsn within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Found this an interesting change. Even if it does paint the Republicans as zealots... http://www.slate.com/id/2280971?GT1=38001...

Thread: Another perspective on the AZ tragedy not changing gun lawsn

Found this an interesting change. Even if it does paint the Republicans as zealots...

http://www.slate.com/id/2280971?GT1=38001
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

When it was pointed out that citizens aren't allowed to own, say, machine guns,
    The ignorance surrounding guns never ceases to amaze me.

to ban firearms within 1,000 yards of federal officials; and, paradoxically, a bill from Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert to allow members of Congress to carry their guns inside the Capitol.
    Again with the elitist stuff Apparently federal officials lives are more precious than yours or mine. What happens if a Congressman goes berserk and starts shooting people? We can't shoot back because we cannot get within 1000' of them

"We've got to go beyond specific, limiting legislation," said Holt. "We've got to change our gun-crazed society." He smiled wryly at what he'd just said. "Not easy to do!"
    how do we change our power-crazed governing body?

I think I'm going to be sick
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I am sure the 1000 foot law would have stopped the Tucson shooter, he would have just shouted: FOILED AGAIN! and went home.

One thousand feet.

Does King actually understand how wide an area one thousand feet in _RADIUS_ covers?
    Homes, businesses, Joe Blow going to WalMart or work a city block or more away from wherever said 'federal official' might be.

The statement is ridiculous AND unenforceable.

It is borrowed from the school zone law of no selling drugs within same distance of a school, which is has trapped many a person in deep poo for even minor sales simply because they were caught within this ten football field radius of demarcation...Now where in sight or even by foot travel near a school.

For sake of understanding here is a picture, worth one thousand feet of idiot lawmakers proposed words...

Source - http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-trw...541991.special

The great Blue Hole in Belize
    The "great" Blue Hole on Lighthouse Reef Atoll is a popular diving spot off the coast of Belize. Visible in a flyover, the hole is about 1,000 feet in diameter and 412 feet deep.
    BTW for the record I have carried a pistol (OMG!) _many_ times while standing and/or seated right next to two state representatives, including even walking in a parade side by side with one.
    Most recently was in September...Two such again state representatives in the same small room as me with one seated two chairs over at a round banquet table opposite my daughter and the other seated directly behind me at another table.
    Oddly nobody got shot!?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq, you may need to check the operation of your gun, it MUST be defective....
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I know Joker...Must be light primer strikes, as I can't think of any other logical rational reason.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Janq, you may need to check the operation of your gun, it MUST be defective....
    Probably not, but his measurement may be...

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    One thousand feet.

"ten football field radius of demarcation..."- Janq
    Ten football fields is one thousand yards, or three thousand feet. One thousand feet is three and one third football fields.

Don't worry, we all know what you meant.

Thanks for the corrective assist CCWGuy. : )

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ...BTW for the record I have carried a pistol (OMG!) _many_ times while standing and/or seated right next to two state representatives, including even walking in a parade side by side with one. Most recently was in September...Two such again state representatives in the same small room as me with one seated two chairs over at a round banquet table opposite my daughter and the other seated directly behind me at another table. Oddly nobody got shot!?...
    Should also point out they were most likely safer, if someone had come after them, because you were armed.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I am sure the 1000 foot law would have stopped the Tucson shooter, he would have just shouted: FOILED AGAIN! and went home.
    Like this?

Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Sponsored Links