Man dies following struggle with police

This is a discussion on Man dies following struggle with police within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happend in the other end of the town where I live. Conflicting stories from family members and police. Citizens say that Huntington cops seem ...

Thread: Man dies following struggle with police

Exclamation Man dies following struggle with police

This happend in the other end of the town where I live. Conflicting stories from family members and police. Citizens say that Huntington cops seem "trigger happy" but the details are still sketchy at best. Looks like the man who was shot was struggling with a police officer and may have tried to get a weapon from the officer during the struggle. Still a sad situation for both sides.

HUNTINGTON, WV-- A father-daughter fist fight ended early Friday morning with a city police officer killing the father just outside of his Guyandotte home.

Huntington Police Chief Skip Holbrook, calling the killing justified, said a preliminary investigation shows Raymond Adkins, 59, was shot as he barged out of the house and reached for an officer's bean-bag gun.

Daughter Leanna Adkins said she disagreed with that account, although a neighboring eyewitness told a story similar to that of the police. The daughter on Friday criticized the police and described the fight that preceded her father's death. She said they exchanged punches in an argument that started with her father's hunt for a vehicle registration card.

"The last conversation me and my dad had was an argument," she said. "I've got to live with that for the rest of my life. So does my mom."

Holbrook opened a Friday afternoon press conference with condolences for the Adkins family, then offered a timeline that started with an 11:39 p.m. domestic violence call at 505 Richmond St. Officers quickly confirmed a family member had been injured and then moved to detain the alleged abuser.

That process would take 30 minutes as Raymond Adkins refused to exit his home. Holbrook said his failure to cooperate, coupled with reports of erratic behavior, prompted a police response of multiple officers, ballistic shields, a less-than-lethal bean-bag gun and actual firearms.

About 12:17 a.m. officers kicked open the front door, and Raymond Adkins charged outside. Holbrook said Adkins focused on Huntington Police Lt. Alan Rohrig, who possessed the bean-bag gun.

Rohrig fired one bean-bag round that struck Raymond Adkins in the torso, but that didn't stop him. Adkins grabbed the bean-bag gun with two hands and tried to push it toward Rohrig, who managed to keep one hand on that weapon, Holbrook said.

Rohrig's partner, Huntington Police officer Travis S. Hagan, feared for Rohrig's safety and fired his .45 caliber weapon. Holbrook said that bullet struck Adkins' back and exited though his front torso.

Hagan was placed on administrative leave as a matter of protocol, Holbrook said. Cabell County Prosecutor Chris Chiles and Holbrook said Hagan had reason to fear for Rohrig's safety because a bean-bag shot at close range to Rohrig's face might have caused serious injury. Such weapons are designed to be fire several feet from the intended target.

The chief's account was similar to that of neighboring eyewitness Eric Lezu. He heard a ruckus about midnight. He said Raymond Adkins' wife and daughter looked on as police crowded onto the porch and kicked the front door to urge surrender.

Adkins came out with a head of force seconds later.

"I mean he rushed those officers. It was nuts how quick," Lezu said. "There was so much force, it took all of the officers and the guy that got shot off the front porch."

Lezu reported hearing one gunshot and the incident was over. Neighbors Barbara Stewart and David Lambert also recalled hearing a single gunshot.

Leanna Adkins heard two shots -- the bean-bag blast followed by a louder gunshot. She agrees that her father refused to exit the house, at one point recalling he had told police they would have to come inside and get him.

From there her story begins to differ. She initially told reporters that police dragged her father from the house. She then clarified the point, saying officers led him outside with a grasp on each arm and shot him. Never did he reach for their gun, she said.

Leanna Adkins also disagreed with what followed. She alleges the police stood by and allowed her father to die.

After first handcuffing Raymond Adkins, Holbrook said officers noticed he had been shot and started CPR. Medics were called at 12:18 a.m. and arrived six minutes later from the W.Va. 2 station at 12:24 a.m.

Gordon Merry, director of Cabell County Emergency Medical Services, agreed with Holbrook's account. He said medics noted the officers had been administering CPR.

Medics then stepped in with CPR. Their ambulance was there for about six minutes and left at 12:30 a.m., arriving at the hospital by 12:35 a.m., according to Merry and Holbrook.

Lezu said he believes such a killing was justified, if Adkins actually reached for the gun as the officers claim. However, he worries the Police Department as a whole might be too quick to act. For instance, he said officers shot his dog in October after saying it charged at them.

"They seem a little trigger happy, to be honest with you," he said. "Too quick to act in aggression. As opposed to being there to protect and serve, they are there to bring you down and do whatever it takes. My opinion is 50-50."

Holbrook said he can't really speak to conclusions others may draw, but he said every discharge of a police firearm prompts an internal review.

"At no time did they take an aggressive stance," Holbrook said of Friday's shooting. "Police actions oftentimes are split-second decisions. It comes with great responsibility and we recognize that."

Holbrook said officers fire their weapon to stop the threat, not slow it down. He said, for instance, a gunshot to the foot may slow an assailant but still allow him to retrieve a gun and fire at police.

Hagan's case will be investigated by the Huntington Police Department's Criminal Investigations Bureau and the Office of Professional Standards. Those findings then will be turned over to the Cabell County Prosecutor's Office for presentment to a grand jury.

Hagan could return to work prior to the grand jury meeting, if Holbrook believes internal investigations satisfactorily clear him of any administrative or criminal wrongdoing. His return to service also depends upon his mental, emotional and physical well being. Hagan has been on the force for five years.
    http://www.herald-dispatch.com/homep...le-with-police
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

"The last conversation me and my dad had was an argument," she said. "I've got to live with that for the rest of my life. So does my mom."
    Nobody's fault but your own lady.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

In an age where cops tazer people for not moving fast enough, why didn't they use that weapon here?

Some of these cases make me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    In an age where cops tazer people for not moving fast enough, why didn't they use that weapon here?

Some of these cases make me wonder.
    Assuming the cop's story is correct...

For whatever reason they chose to use something other than tazer. I can think of several reasons why this may be, but I'm not a cop, so I don't know for sure.

Regardless, a guy charges you suddenly, "less lethal" has no apparent effect, guy grapples your partner, starts grabbing at weapons.

I have no problem with the decision the partner made to shoot.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---

When you start punching family members and then refuse to comply with police officers you have to expect to get hurt. If your next course of action is to start grabbing for law enforcement weapons a reasonable person would expect to get shot. It is not unreasonable to expect to die when shot. The only thing I don't understand is why a 59 year old man would get into a fist fight with his daughter. Or what outcome they expected. Stupid is as stupid does.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Sounds like the whole family is dysfunctional and has anger issues,I'm 53 my daughter is 29,there is no way I would punch her in an argument.Sometimes people let rage cloud their judgement resulting in consequences they didn't expect
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Based on the story alone, looks like a good shoot.

Very tragic that it came to that, but you don't go struggling with an officers weapon and not expect to be shot.

Some people die from a single center mass shot with a .45 acp. It happens.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

but you don't go struggling with an officers weapon and not expect to be shot.
    +1

Michael

Agreed with bark'n, Duk, Steve W and both of Coders' posts.

Good shoot.

As to the women arguing that the circumstances are different than reported, isn't that how she walked herself into having a fist fight with her father in the first place...Whom she now has to live with the rest of her life as being her final goodbye.

Rational acting and thinking adults don't punch their daughters, fist fight their fathers nor do they not comply to police called and attempt to disarm them.
    Duh.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Definately a good shoot if he did in fact try to disarm the officers. I tend to believe the officers and other witnesses over the irrational daughter of the deceased. Maybe it's just me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

A gun grab on a cop is one of the fastest ways I know of to get dead.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A gun grab on a cop is one of the fastest ways I know of to get dead.
    And certainly justified when you consider how many cops are killed this way...by a grab of their own weapon.
    ---

I fail to see why this is news. a very aggressive man charges, from the sound of it, many police officers and grabs a shotgun of one. he was then shot once.

I say good shoot. there were many opportunistic to comply. His choose to do this. he choice to argue. live with your choices (or not).
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Links