Bad: 14-year-old shoots 3 relatives, killing 2

This is a discussion on Bad: 14-year-old shoots 3 relatives, killing 2 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/18/....html?hpt=Sbin A 14-year-old South Carolina boy used the rifle his father bought him as a birthday present to shoot the man to death, along with ...

Thread: Bad: 14-year-old shoots 3 relatives, killing 2

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/18/....html?hpt=Sbin

A 14-year-old South Carolina boy used the rifle his father bought him as a birthday present to shoot the man to death, along with a great-aunt, and critically wound his grandmother, police said Tuesday.

The teenager, who was not identified because he is a juvenile, called police just before midnight Monday and reported that he had shot his aunt, his grandmother and his father, said Tony Fisher, director of the Spartanburg, South Carolina, Public Safety Department.

The boy told the dispatcher his father was dead, and said "in a calm, controlled, methodical voice that he would be waiting or come outside when police arrived, and he had laid the gun on the dining room table," Fisher told reporters Tuesday. As officers arrived, the teen came out with his hands up and was arrested, he said.

Police entered the house to find Joe Robert Lankford, the boy's 44-year-old father, shot to death in his bed, Fisher said. They found Virginia Gaston, 83, dead in her bed, apparently from a gunshot wound, he said. Gaston is believed to be the boy's great-aunt, Fisher said.

Rachel Gaston Lankford, 80, the boy's grandmother, was transported to a hospital where she is in critical condition, he said.

The teen told police he used the .22-caliber rifle that "was a birthday gift purchased by his father for him on his most recent birthday in September," Fisher said.

Authorities investigating the teen's background, including school records and information from neighbors, have found "there were no behavior issues that would in any way suggest the predictability of this violent behavior," he said.

Although the boy has talked with authorities, "he was not able ... to articulate a reason for his behavior," Fisher said.

The teen faces a detention hearing in the next couple of days, according to Spartanburg County Solicitor Barry Barnette, and prosecutors will look closely at whether he should be tried as an adult. He will face charges of murder and attempted murder, Barnette said.

Police previously had responded to "insignificant incidents in and around the house," Fisher said, but "nothing directly associated with or related to that family in particular."
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

Shoulda been locked up...sad story

Good grief, again. : (

And watch we find out this gun has a magazine too, for the antis to get even more upset about.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm not opposed to giving children a gun of their own as a present. The parent must be able to judge the maturity level of the child.

But regardless of all that, the weapon should have been locked and out of direct control of the child.

This is a sad incident. Especially based on initial reports that there was no instability noted in child's behavior as reported by school records and neighbors.

Of course that doesn't mean there weren't issues which were apparent to close family members. Just because it escaped the neighbors and school officials doesn't mean there weren't indicators.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My children have been around guns all their lives, but until they understood all of the rules, and showed that they could follow them, they did not have access to them unsupervised.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

What in the world? Not even sure what to say here.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm not opposed to giving children a gun of their own as a present. The parent must be able to judge the maturity level of the child.

But regardless of all that, the weapon should have been locked and out of direct control of the child.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    What in the world? Not even sure what to say here.
    Same here, what is going on with these kids ?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Not every person should have a firearm. Some kids, definitely shouldn't have one. My 2 grandkids both have one, that I keep locked up. However, my 'son' never did ....... he asked me about this ... and my response was simple... you didn't listen worth a dang, were too volatile at times, immature, and irresponsible to trust with one. That's the truth of the matter.

These parents didn't use some good judgment and paid dearly for it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Obviously this individual had some serious issues that reached a boiling point. The fact that a 14 year old could be that cold and callous is truly frightening.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

This happened in my town here...very sad story. They just updated the story last night, and the boy's grandmother passed away last night.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

GM
    How could a 14-year-old child do something like that and be so calm?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Obviously this individual had some serious issues that reached a boiling point. The fact that a 14 year old could be that cold and callous is truly frightening.
    Nothing like one case where a 14 yr old .... stabbed his mother 27 times, she wouldn't die, so he beat her in the head about 20 times with a baseball bat, she was still moaning.... so he tried to strangle her to death and she passed out, so he put her in the bathtub for the time being..... later ... he hears her moaning.... so then he goes in, fills the bathtub with water and held her under the water for an hour to make sure she was dead. Total time .... 4-5 hrs. Cause of death --- drowning, although she would have died eventually from all of the other wounds.

He talked about it as if it were nothing different than making toast for breakfast.

Juveniles who commit murder, are often very vicicous and heartless..
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

All good points to remember should one be confronted by an armed aggressor of youthful age.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

3D
    Guantes
    All good points to remember should one be confronted by an armed aggressor of youthful age.
    ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER: a personality disorder that is characterized by antisocial behavior exhibiting pervasive disregard for and violation of the rights, feelings, and safety of others starting in childhood or the early teenage years and continuing into adulthood —called also psychopathic personality disorder. ____Source- Marriam Webster Dictionary
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Links