Durham,NC woman facing felony charge after shooting pit bull that attacked 2 yr old

This is a discussion on Durham,NC woman facing felony charge after shooting pit bull that attacked 2 yr old within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; North Carolina's newly passed "Susie's Law" makes it a felony for cruelty to animals. Wonder what North Carolina thinks about cruelty to 2 year old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Durham,NC woman facing felony charge after shooting pit bull that attacked 2 yr old

3D [OP]

Exclamation Durham,NC woman facing felony charge after shooting pit bull that attacked 2 yr old

North Carolina's newly passed "Susie's Law" makes it a felony for cruelty to animals.

Wonder what North Carolina thinks about cruelty to 2 year old children?

http://www.news-record.com/content/2...s_shooting_dog

As she asks: "What would you do in that situation?"
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

2. Remove Ads

North Carolina. The NYS of the south I always say. Not surprised that they're making it harder for people to protect themselves when the trend is going in the opposite direction.

I hope the victim's peers have enough common sense to acquit her. Certainly the law protecting animals does not supercede the right of a human being to self defense. Then again, we are talking about NC.

I have family that live there and know that the state as a whole is not well represented by the people that pass their laws. I'm simply characterizing the legal code of the state and nothing more.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Senior Moderator
    It depends on the actual facts. She claims one thing, the police claim another.

If, in fact, she did take the dog outside, chain it up and then shoot it and leave it to die, thats quite a different thing from defending a child from an ongoing dog attack.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I don't think I would have chained the dog and then shot it... and if I had shot it then I would have made sure it was dead. My reaction would have been more "get dog off child and secured somewhere then get child to hospital" vs. inserting the extra steps of going to get the shotgun and coming back to shoot the dog.

I think she screwed up badly... but I do also think this lady needs some leniency as I would be completely enraged at the animal, worried sick over my daughter, and maybe not thinking as clearly as one would desire.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Yep, right as usual MattiInFla. Also agree with chivvalry; if your going to destroy an animal, at least see the job through until completion.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

If, in fact, she did take the dog outside, chain it up and then shoot it and leave it to die, thats quite a different thing from defending a child from an ongoing dog attack.

Matt
    No kidding if she shot it after the fact and let it die slowly then the fact is she is guilty of the charge............. IF that is the fact...

Four pitbulls in the house with a 2 year old. I'm sure they were all big babies, too. I, for one, am not the slightest bit surprised this happened. As far as shooting the dog, at first glance it seems the threat was over when she separated the dog from the kid and put it outside. At that point she probably should've called 911 and went from there. Wounding the dog and leaving it overnight out of revenge gives the prosecution some legs, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
    Four pitbulls in the house with a 2 year old. I'm sure they were all big babies, too. I, for one, am not the slightest bit surprised this happened. As far as shooting the dog, at first glance it seems the threat was over when she separated the dog from the kid and put it outside. At that point she probably should've called 911 and went from there. Wounding the dog and leaving it overnight out of revenge gives the prosecution some legs, I think.
    Wow...only took 7 posts this time...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member
    Did she know that the dog was still alive? Quite a few people have a hollywood view of guns and the damage they do. They believe any wound to be fatal. I have no prorblem with her killing the dog. If she meant to wound it and let it suffer, that is another thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post

Matt
    This ^. Either she or the police are not telling the truth. There is a world of difference between the two descriptions.

IMO Child Endangerment would be a more appropriate charge. Assault if the pitbull was indeed hers. She has failed as a parent and a dog owner.

Lead Moderator
    I think she's going down for the crime.

My (non-lawyer) take is if she could get the dog outside and on a chain, she could call animal control and have them take the dog away. Once the dog was on the chain and not capable of inflicting any more damage the reason for "deadly force" is gone. Kind of like the hypothetical shooting in the back we see in so many scenarios posted here.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

In addition to making a sloppy and inhumane mess of putting down an animal she appears to have neglected her child as well. Based on what we are reading here she needs to go down. It's a no brainer.

Agreed wmhawth, and MattinFLA.

"I'm begging them to come, because I still have my other kids in the house, but nobody would answer the phone," she said.
    It always strikes me funny how _parents_ get all wise minded and 'parental' AFTER the fact of doing something numb skulled and even wholly endangering toward their children.

I'm sorry lady but too little too late.

As to the dog being chained or not chained when she shot it...She still needs to take a hit for _something_ because she clearly endangered this child directly as well as that of her other children and any other guests that may at one point or another come to visit her home...Including her childrens friends too!
    It is sad that it takes some/many persons being hurt or in this case permanently disfigured (!) before they come to figure out that they should act right as within their BEST JUDGMENT.

I very much hate reading stories about children being involved in situations that are wholly avoidable, and will negatively affect them the remainder of their natural life. : |

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Mmmmm..

Got the dog calmed down enough or at least able to get control of it (lucky she was not mauled for the effort) to get it chained up outside, probably should have stopped there. I can understand the putting it down then and there, known some ranchers to do the same, and agreed with previous post, thought the dog was dead, didn't think to verify, or could stomach it.

Call to have animal control come out, that can be verified.

Fired a gun in city limits, shes guilty of that.

Cruelty...Yeah, if she knew the dog was still alive and did nothing, just waited for it to die, that is what the case is going to focus on, not why it was shot. Going to be tough to prove intent for the prosecutor and the reverse for her.

Not going there on 4 Pit Bulls and/or parenting. Feel bad for the kid.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links