Stupid : Fires Gun at Police and Gets Shot in Return

This is a discussion on Stupid : Fires Gun at Police and Gets Shot in Return within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happend just a few blocks from where I live. I wonder what part of the cops will return fire did this Einstein not understand? ...

Thread: Stupid : Fires Gun at Police and Gets Shot in Return

Exclamation Stupid : Fires Gun at Police and Gets Shot in Return

This happend just a few blocks from where I live. I wonder what part of the cops will return fire did this Einstein not understand?

Man wounded after firing weapon at police
    January 22, 2011 @ 08:12 AM

BETH HENDRICKS

Herald-Dispatch.com

HUNTINGTON,WV — For the second time in just over a week, a Huntington police officer has shot a man following a disturbance.

Police Chief Skip Holbrook said that Mitchell L. Dunn, 51, of 902 Washington Ave., was shot by police after firing at least one round at officers. An officer returned fire, wounding the suspect.

According to Cabell County 911 dispatch reports, officers responded to a report of shots fired at approximately 1:19 a.m. Saturday between the 800 and 900 blocks of Washington Avenue.

The injured man was transported to Cabell Huntington Hospital and was conscious when emergency medicine personnel transported him from the scene. No further information was available about his condition.

A news release issued by the Huntington Police Department reports that Dunn will be charged with wanton endangerment and attempted murder.

Holbrook said he plans to address the situation further and release more details on Monday.

The incident is under investigation by the Huntington Police Department, Criminal Investigation Bureau and the Office of Professional Standards.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/break...shot-by-police
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Wonder if he was trying for suicide by cop?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

If so, I imagine that he is disappointed in the marksmanship of the local PD.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

He's lucky he's still around & can feel "stupid" about it
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim_45 View Post
    He's lucky he's still around & can feel "stupid" about it
    Yes. Especially since the HPD went to .45 Sigs and have already shot and killed one guy last week who tried to take an Officer's weapon during a struggle.

Perhaps it is Darwinism at work here.

If I ever become Chief of the Department I work at (which will never happen) the first thing I will do is make sure all patrol units have personal defense sized carbines kept right up front with them and the general order will be to deploy them on every shots fired call they go on no matter how bogus it may seem because of situations like this.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=441
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Do ya think alcohol may have been involved ? Dah !
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    When a person shoots at a cop, I dont think of it as a cop. I think of it as a person shooting at another person. Any "regular" cop who uses his weapon for offensive purposes should be dealt with. Just as I a regular person have no right to use my weapon in offense. So if this truly happened as it is portrayed the cop did what was perfectly his right to self defense. Isnt that why they carry? I hope the cop, if story is true, get a reward for his actions. Maybe that Dunn guy will think twice before pulling his trigger again.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    If I ever become Chief of the Department I work at (which will never happen) the first thing I will do is make sure all patrol units have personal defense sized carbines kept right up front with them and the general order will be to deploy them on every shots fired call they go on no matter how bogus it may seem because of situations like this.

Better go to LA then because your gonna have fun trying to justify getting a budget allocated to purchase those for the dept.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Thumbs up Update: Shooting Ruled Self-Defense

I was hoping that self-defense would be ruled. Of course the Huntington Police Dept. haters are blaming the police for shooting at this thug after he fires first. Imagine that.

Police shooting called self-defense

Lori Wolfe/The Herald-Dispatch

HUNTINGTON,WV -- The Huntington Police Department has identified Patrolman Ronnie Lusk as the officer who wounded a man after he fired at officers this past weekend in what authorities called a case of self-defense on the part of the officer.

The officer-involved shooting is Lusk's second in nearly 15 months.

The incident happened at about 1:20 a.m. Saturday. Authorities say Mitchell Lee Dunn, 51, fired five rounds at officers from his Jennings 9 mm handgun from the front porch of a residence in the 900 block of Washington Avenue.

Dunn was treated at Cabell Huntington Hospital and released. He is being held on $210,000 bail at Western Regional Jail on charges of wanton endangerment and attempted murder.

Police Chief Skip Holbrook outlined the events surrounding the shooting of Dunn during a press conference at police headquarters Monday afternoon.

According to a press release issued Saturday morning, officers responded to the Washington Avenue area after multiple calls from neighbors of shots fired. Police responded with a foot search, but were not able to locate anyone suspected of firing a gun. The release states that about 25 minutes later, multiple reports of gunshots in the area were received by Cabell County 911 Dispatch. Officers again responded to the area. While searching the area on foot, officers said they encountered an armed Dunn on the front porch of a Washington Avenue home. That's when Dunn reportedly pointed his weapon toward officers, fired, and was then shot.

"The suspect fired on officers and fire was returned, causing the suspect to retreat inside. He re-appeared a short time later, again aiming at the officers. The officer fired again and he retreated indoors and, this time, shut the door behind him," Holbrook said. "Officers said they heard a noise come from inside that sounded as though the suspect had fallen. They entered the residence and found the suspect, who had been shot twice, on the floor in the living room."

Dunn's wounds, one in the shoulder and one in the leg, were deemed non-life-threatening.

Holbrook said officers recovered three, spent 9 mm casings in the front yard, one on the front porch and another in the doorway. The 12-round magazine had six remaining live rounds, and Holbrook said it appears the gun malfunctioned and jammed during the altercation.

Saturday's officer-involved shooting was the second in a little more than a week in Huntington. On Jan. 14, officer Travis S. Hagan shot and killed Raymond Adkins, 59, just outside his Guyandotte home. Holbrook has called the killing justified, and said a preliminary investigation showed Adkins was shot as he barged out of the house and reached for an officer's bean-bag gun.

"In both instances, we have officers acting in defense of self or other officers against a person who took an aggressive stance," said Cabell County Prosecutor Chris Chiles. "To serve and protect is dangerous. These officers put their lives on the line every day."

Holbrook said he believes that Dunn may have a criminal past, including a potential felony in Florida, and that it appears alcohol may have factored into Dunn's behavior at the time of Saturday's shooting.

"It does appear he was impaired to some degree," Holbrook said.

Lusk has been placed on administrative leave from the police department, which is standard procedure following such incidents, Holbrook said.

"Lusk was the first person at the corner of the building, which is why he would have been the first to engage the suspect," he said.

Holbrook said he remained confident in his officers and the department's ability to conduct thorough investigations into these types of situations.

"These are unfortunate incidents, tragic all around and nothing good comes from them," he said. "I think so long as we're prudent in how we conduct our investigation and offer a proper accounting on our part, we paint a picture of transparency in how we operate."

Lusk, a 5 1/2-year veteran of the Huntington Police Department and K-9 handler, was cleared of wrongdoing in an exchange of gunfire that killed Joe Porter at Club Babylon, a nightclub then located at 831 4th Ave., on Nov. 8, 2009. A police investigation into the Babylon shooting found Lusk justifiably fired in response to Porter pointing a .45-caliber handgun toward the patrolman. It also found that officers recovered a gun believed to have belonged to Porter at the scene.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    it appears alcohol may have factored into Dunn's behavior at the time of Saturday's shooting.
    Well Duh! Ya think?

Talk about being in the thick of it, the LEO involved has been involved in two shootings in just 5 1/2 years on the force? Not being critical, but talk about lightning stiking twice.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post

The muzzle flash alone on those babies would be enough to knock someone on their butt.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The guy was using a Jennings 9mm, he ought to go away just for that...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links