Are there actually more shootings lately, or are the media having a field day?

Are there actually more shootings lately, or are the media having a field day?

This is a discussion on Are there actually more shootings lately, or are the media having a field day? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It seems to me, that there are many, many more reports in the media lately on shootings. Whether it involves LEO's, or gangs, or just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there actually more shootings lately, or are the media having a field day?

Question Are there actually more shootings lately, or are the media having a field day?

It seems to me, that there are many, many more reports in the media lately on shootings. Whether it involves LEO's, or gangs, or just domestic violence, the reports have seemed to increase substantially since the Tucson tragedy.

I don't remember ever seeing so many articles on the mainstream media (CNN, Fox, etc.) reporting on these. There are even three articles today on CNN's front page related to shootings.

This leads me to believe that (a) either there really is a substantial increase in shootings, or (b), that the media is just headlining more of them for some reason.

This leads to some further thought...

If there truly is an increase in shootings around the US, what would be the underlying causes, if any? Is it just random? Are we just in a cycle that is at the high end? Could it have anything to do at all with current gun laws and regulations, making guns a weapon of choice?

Or, is the media is just reporting more than usual, and if so what is the benefit? Sensationalism? More viewers for the advertisers? Perhaps. But I wonder if there is an underlying cause for them to do this.

Just thought I would open this up to discussion.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I think that the media receives many leads for stories about various incidents that have happened around the World or domestically, but they will always tend to focus more on those that will get them the most ratings and viewers. Therefore, right now shootings are the "talk of the day" so they are highlighting any firearm involved incident they come upon with.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Seemingly, every time there's an incident like' Tucson, the media digs up every shooting they can find to feed their ratings. Not to down play these horrible stories but human nature is what it is. Eventually, things will settle down and the news will focus on whatever is hot on the AP.

More to say... Ironically, I didn’t read the post by ‘alachner’ until after I posted my own comments, so apparently some of us are thinking in the same way.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I do not think that there is a marked increase but rather it is the "story du jour" for the media, they all try to top one another (take all the stories about birds dying that were all over the media earlier this month). In the instance of firearm related crime, I think it is fair to say they most in the media are of a liberal slant politically and socially and for the most part are not very pro 2A. Therefore their reporting advances their anti gun agenda.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Seemingly, every time there's an incident like' Tucson, the media digs up every shooting they can find to feed their ratings. Not to down play these horrible stories but human nature is what it is. Eventually, things will settle down and the news will focus on whatever is hot on the AP.

More to say... Ironically, I didn’t read the post by ‘alachner’ until after I posted my own comments, so apparently some of us are thinking in the same way.
    Moscow airport attack for instance?
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member
    One of my co workers , parents were murdered Friday. They were 80 and 84 years old.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    One of my co workers , parents were murdered Friday. They were 80 and 84 years old.

Now that's really sad, and it takes a very special evil to commit such an act. I sure hope the BG's were caught, or will be caught.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

So sorry to hear that. I hope the BG's get what they deserve.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Special place in hell for people that go after the elderly, sorry about your co-workers parents.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13888168

Distinguished Member
    They havn't been caught .

What I am hearing, there was a breakin before when they were not home. They dragged his gun safe outside , but couldn't open it. My coworker and a friend bolted it to the floor after this breakin.

Nothing was taken but the car and it was found 2 blocks away. The news said they were bludgeon to death, but a close friend of his and also a co worker said they were shot in the head.

cj
    Tough to say, since as others pointed out, media reports what they think will get them ratings. At the moment, the country is hyper-aware of shootings, so I'm sure stories that would have been local are being picked up nationally.

Of course, the tin foil hat wearing side of me sees this as the potential beginnings of a spin-up for a 2012 push for a gun ban...which means expect to see lots of misleading "reports" about "assault weapons"...the definition of which is going to be different and more encompassing than the last "assault weapons ban".

I pray for them and family, truly horrible. I hope justice is quick.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    There is a chapter in the "Autobiography of Lincoln Steffens" titled "I created a crime wave." In it he tells the story of when he was assigned to the local precinct
    s crime desk as punishment for some infraction or other of his editor's rules. He discovered the crime reporters played polker, the police media officer came in and dropped off a story, they would go write it up, and go back to playing cards. Every body was happy. But not Steffens. He went to other sources and started reporting every crime he could find. Other paper editors, getting questioned about why they were not reporting on this "crime wave" started doing the same thing. Pretty soon the "crime wave" was a hot topic, political speeches being made, etc. And all the while there were no more and no less crimes being committed than had been all along.

Somehow, it seems an appropriate anology.

Fitch

PS: the chapter must have made an impression on me, I read the book ~58 years ago.

frw
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    No one has of yet related the perceived increase in shootings and crime in general with the state of the economy, increased numbers of immigrants (legal and illegal),and reduction of law enforcement due to budget deficits. People who lost their homes, jobs and savings often feel hopeless and turn to crime as a way to survive as well as get even. When they no longer value their own lives it's a short stretch to take someone else's. It's easier to note, as I did on last night's evening news, where Diane Sawyer, in response to a similar question replied that it was probably a result of easier access to guns. Just a thought, record numbers of guns and ammunition have been sold since we've become an Obamanation and that's just the legal stuff.

I am very upset, it has been weeks with no news of brave Americans stuck inside of a octamom or trapped or if celebrities accidently wore the same dress to a fashion show, you know the real news…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links