Retired Texas Judge Takes on Burglars at Gunpoint, instead of calling Police -- Link

This is a discussion on Retired Texas Judge Takes on Burglars at Gunpoint, instead of calling Police -- Link within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A 73 year old retired Texas judge by the name of Ralph Yarborough decided to take matters into his own hands, when a neighbor phoned ...

Thread: Retired Texas Judge Takes on Burglars at Gunpoint, instead of calling Police -- Link

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Retired Texas Judge Takes on Burglars at Gunpoint, instead of calling Police -- Link

A 73 year old retired Texas judge by the name of Ralph Yarborough decided to take matters into his own hands, when a neighbor phoned him to inform him that two men had broken into a vacant home owned by his wife.

Instead of calling 911, the former judge armed himself, and went over to the house to investigate. Once inside, he discovered two thieves inside the attic, busy stripping copper wiring from the home.

The Judge announced to the men that if they did not come out of the attic and surrender, that he was going to start shooting bullets into the attic.

The two men meekly gave up, and once outside the home, the judge fired a shot into the air to further let them know that he meant business. His neighbor then dialed 911, and the police arrived to take the suspects, Steven Aron Studdard, 18 and Scott Allen Shockley, 31, into custody.

Despite the aggressive tactics used by the judge, authorities have decided to not charge him with any crimes.

Here is a full news report from CBS News:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...03-504083.html

Did this Judge follow the law?

2. Remove Ads

Right up until he fired the shot into the air!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Intentionally firing the shot into the air was unwise. Now had he tripped and accidentally fired a shot into the ground, that would be a different matter.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

If anything would have went wrong and the judge had to shoot one of the theivs then the judge would be in a bad place. He wasn't there so he should have called the police before he went there.

Quote Originally Posted by Binder View Post
    If anything would have went wrong and the judge had to shoot one of the theivs then the judge would be in a bad place. He wasn't there so he should have called the police before he went there.
    Not In Texas,you might want to look up the Joe Horn case,this guy was asked for help by a neighbour,In Texas theft during the night can get you a lethal lead injection
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    He may get away with out calling 911, voluntarily placing himself in danger of death or grave injury and then threatening deadly force to protect himself from his own stupidity, and the shot up in the air, in Texas, but that doesn't excuse the fact that they were really dumb things to do.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

VIP Member
    He will probably get away with it because of his prior position. While he was a TX judge, this appears to have occurred in LA. I strongly question his ability to assert that he was in fear of life and limb before he escalated the situation by going into the property. Given the sheriff's response time, he should have just called the cops and let them deal with it.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Not In Texas,you might want to look up the Joe Horn case,this guy was asked for help by a neighbour,In Texas theft during the night can get you a lethal lead injection
    Yep, but unfortunately, it still cost him plenty of $$$......
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

My name is on every shot I fire. Shooting in the air? Bad and more bad..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I was trained to never fire a warning shot,I remember years ago in Salina Ks on new years eve,some clown left a bar went out to his truck got an AR15 out and fired several shots in the air at midnight,one of those rounds came down and killed somebody,IIRC he got 15 years for negligent manslaughter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links