Beating in Richmond, VA posted on Youtube (Merged)

This is a discussion on Beating in Richmond, VA posted on Youtube (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ncsteveh I'm at the point in life where I'm not interested in rolling around on the ground anymore plus my health doesn't ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beating in Richmond, VA posted on Youtube (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    I'm at the point in life where I'm not interested in rolling around on the ground anymore plus my health doesn't really allow for it either. If you pay attention to the video you can see some verbal boxing going on at first.

I would make it known to the thugs that it would be in there best interest to leave me alone now. after saying that once, if they enter my bubble they are going to get a face full of Fox. What happens next is up to them but in the end I will win, I will not be rushed to the hospital, I will not be put into a body bag, a police officer will not knock on my door with bad news for my family. That I promise you.
    Ditto.

Too many to deal with so I'd unfortunately, and hopefully later not regret, drawing and tell them to back off. Once they backed off, honestly, I'd run if possible. The reason I say/write "if possible" is because I'm very rarely alone and either have my wife and/or daughter with me so I'd first have to get them moving. Knowing my wife, she'd say something like "Why?". Some of you can relate, I'm sure. I'd hope and pray it would be one of those incidents where the appearance of a firearm is enough to stop the incident from going any further. I truly hope/pray I'd never have to do it, but if one continued advancing after the warning, I'd have to fire. I'd not only be in fear of my life, but in fear of grave bodily harm and/or death of my wife and/or daughter. I have no greater fear than something happening to them.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I do agree that he made a bad decision being where he was... when he was.
    This is true, but it sucks just the same. We should be able to go anywhere in our country we want to. Don't worry, I'm not naive enough to believe what I just said, I just wish it were true.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    First thing that came to my mind is stay out of trashy neighborhoods like Shockoe Bottom, especially at 1:00 AM. Regardless of how much money Virginia Commonwealth University puts into it, downtown Richmond is a cesspool.

Other than that, if confronted with no means of escape, fight fast, fight hard and fight dirty and do whatever is needed to walk away afterwords.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's a funny movie, but that guy from Zombieland had a good point about rule #1: cardio. If you don't have debilitating injuries that prevent it, the ability to run is a nice thing to have. I probably would have just outrun them, given that they aren't ready for a 3 mile @ 6 minute pace run while wearing their gangsta pants. I outran some perps in Virginia Beach like that once. If I'm cornered or my ability to run isn't there (I'm with someone else who can't run), then I echo the sentiments above.

I second the suck that is VCU's location in downtown Richmond. I had a lot of friends that went to VCU, so I was around often. This video, unfortunately, doesn't surprise me.

Just like a pack of wild dogs..... Personally, I'd have little problem treating um like that if the need should arise.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    First thing that came to my mind is stay out of trashy neighborhoods like Shockoe Bottom, especially at 1:00 AM. Regardless of how much money Virginia Commonwealth University puts into it, downtown Richmond is a cesspool.

Other than that, if confronted with no means of escape, fight fast, fight hard and fight dirty and do whatever is needed to walk away afterwords.
    It did not used to be that way, the bottom was the place to go on weekend. I used to work down there and good lord was it a fun meet market. As crazy as it sounds it's as simple as changing the music genre from rock and progressive rock to hip hop and so called house music. This change effects the client el it attracts as politically incorrect as it sounds it is the truth. Plus kids today are wothless, hahaha.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    This is true, but it sucks just the same. We should be able to go anywhere in our country we want to. Don't worry, I'm not naive enough to believe what I just said, I just wish it were true.
    Oh it's not naive at all. Everyone should be able to go where they wan't to go without hassle in this country much less fear of assault. That's why if more people would carry open like the old west there would be less thugs attacking people who just want to walk and be left alone.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

There may have been a good reason for the victim to have been where he was...when he was.
    Or maybe not.
    The main victim in the video has posted a plea for anyone who recognizes the attackers to inform the police. Since it's a call for help, I think a cross-post is more than safe here - it's a public service:

Last Thursday night I went out drinking with my roommate. Walking between bars we were jumped, robbed and left in the street bleeding. I spent all of Friday in the hospital and most of this week working from home. Today I got three or four different calls from people telling me I'm on the news. http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-youtub...,2641041.story Apparently the guys who did it filmed it and put it on youtube. I'm looking for some Reddit magic. I sustained a pretty good concussion and have no memory of this at all. I'm looking for any information on the people who did this to me and my roommate. Even things that seem trivial such as what their t-shirts say would help. The cops have this plus a little more footage, but as of yet nothing with a decent picture of a face. Help me reddit, you're my only hope. tl,dr; Got jumped and robbed. People who did it filmed it. http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-youtub...,2641041.story
    Hope somebody can help and get those thugs in a cage where they belong.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

In a case like that with such force disparity, the only real question is would it be justifiable to also shoot the cameraman? (probably not unless he attacked too) But I would do my best to get him and or that camera as evidence for my case.

I am not a fighter, attempt to do everything to avoid a fight, and that is why I carry a gun.

Act like scum get treated like scum.

I have a good feeling that guy is going to get a CCW soon and hopefully we'll see him here on the forum.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    My wife has multiple sclerosis; this means running and hand-to-hand are not options. I do what I can to stay away from areas and situations where bad things often happen, but I'm not at all inclined to pussyfoot around with a thug who thinks my wife's wheelchair makes us a soft target.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

I'm going to defend the victim here by saying under the likely circumstances he made the best decision he could.

He was likely unarmed in any way, had no training or experience in self defense, and knew he could likely not outrun them. his best choice was to put up as little fight as necessary, pray for the best, and get it over with. It worked...not well. But it did work.

He had no options.... People like us however....we like options.

I get that battery acid taste in my mouth watching this video. Sickening.
    I thoroughly disapprove of duels.
    If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand
    and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.
    -Mark Twain

TVJ
    The kid beat up looked able bodied and chose to walk rather than run/sprint away from the thug group coming for him.

I wonder why................
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rmxer85 View Post
    I'm going to defend the victim here by saying under the likely circumstances he made the best decision he could.

He was likely unarmed in any way, had no training or experience in self defense, and knew he could likely not outrun them. his best choice was to put up as little fight as necessary, pray for the best, and get it over with. It worked...not well. But it did work.

He had no options.... People like us however....we like options.

I get that battery acid taste in my mouth watching this video. Sickening.

The portion I bolded from your quote: How the heck do you know this? Seriously.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by TVJ View Post
    The portion I bolded from your quote: How the heck do you know this? Seriously.
    IMO, if he thought he could outrun them he would have bolted when they rounded the corner.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Hi, I've been lurking for a bit and felt like chiming in on this - I really appreciate the forum and have found it a good source of info, Thanks.

I think what we're seeing in the video is someone that doesn't realize what kind of evil is in the world. I know a lot of people like this, they think violence and fights are like the fistfights that were in elementary school. Not only do they not think its going to happen to them, they don't understand what's going to happen. This guy was probably walking away thinking (just my thoughts, I don't pretend to know what anyone is thinking) that these guys were just trying to scare him or maybe take his wallet. I doubt that he had any idea of the physical violence that was about to happen.

Thugs like that know that most people can't handle the level of violence that they are ready to do and they prey on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links