Beating in Richmond, VA posted on Youtube (Merged)

This is a discussion on Beating in Richmond, VA posted on Youtube (Merged) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think the video has been removed from Youtube, but on other sites. Here is one: http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-youtub...,2641041.story How would this situation be best handled if ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beating in Richmond, VA posted on Youtube (Merged)

I think the video has been removed from Youtube, but on other sites. Here is one:

http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-youtub...,2641041.story

How would this situation be best handled if the victim was carrying?

I'm at the point in life where I'm not interested in rolling around on the ground anymore plus my health doesn't really allow for it either. If you pay attention to the video you can see some verbal boxing going on at first.

I would make it known to the thugs that it would be in there best interest to leave me alone now. after saying that once, if they enter my bubble they are going to get a face full of Fox. What happens next is up to them but in the end I will win, I will not be rushed to the hospital, I will not be put into a body bag, a police officer will not knock on my door with bad news for my family. That I promise you.

Quote Originally Posted by ncsteveh View Post
    I'm at the point in life where I'm not interested in rolling around on the ground anymore plus my health doesn't really allow for it either. If you pay attention to the video you can see some verbal boxing going on at first.

I would make it known to the thugs that it would be in there best interest to leave me alone now. after saying that once, if they enter my bubble they are going to get a face full of Fox. What happens next is up to them but in the end I will win, I will not be rushed to the hospital, I will not be put into a body bag, a police officer will not knock on my door with bad news for my family. That I promise you.
    No further answer needed, THIS!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'd loudly tell them to back off as soon as I saw them turn the corner and especially when the first piece of crap hopped up on the sidewalk with me.

If they kept coming then that is disparity of force and I'd take care of business and go home to my family. Hopefully only one would have to learn the hard way and the others would see the error of their ways and reform, but I doubt it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

The article says there were two defenders but in the video I only saw one. If there were two, they should have stayed together and put up a dual defense.

The lone defender I saw should have vaulted the rail, and fought from the roof of the parked car. Stringing the BGs out, gaining high ground, all basic moves that don't need lots of practice.

Yes, sure, this is Monday morning quarterbacking. In a situation like that, you have to do what you can and nobody can be there for you, so I'm not blaming the victims for what happened - I never do that.

Still, the scene as filmed did offer some advantages and we can learn from the opportunities lost. Stay together, put up a united defense - two are harder to attack than one - gain high ground, gain defensive position, avoid getting taken to ground for a gang-stomping.

Obviously neither defender was carrying a weapon, but did either have a ring of keys? Mine has an ASP Street Defender, and it holds enough CS to have maced down a few of these clowns. The primary defender we see is engaged with one and can't deal with the two on his back. Some ASP in the face would have incapacitated the immediate foe and freed him up to resist the other two.

Plus, the ASP doubles as a kuboton, so strikes to elbows, temples and knees could have been in the picture. And any of us who carry knives would have been well defended in this kind of scenario. If the attackers (like these scumbags) were unarmed, a karambit would have made short work of them.

So. Lots of food for thought here. Takeaways: CS and a knife would offer adequate protection from this attack. A firearm would give more. Basic self defense and martial strategy concepts would have helped tremendously. And, of course, just running full-out might have worked. It didn't have to play out this way.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    No further answer needed, THIS!
    Seconded.

This vid along with the attack on an employee at a NYC Wendy's by teen girls (woman suffered a serious concussion and is a single mother of five now unable to work due to injuries she sustained) is being discussed at a private forum that I moderate, and my own response was basically same.

- Janq

"I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." - John Bernard Books, 'The Shootist'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

There is no way to be certain, but I would be willing to bet some money, that between my good nature and gregarious personality and my 92 that we could reach some amicable agreement that included my not getting beat to a pulp.

If not, then "THIS" as above.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Well, since it's not academy award quality video it's hard to follow. But I think there is a point where you need to recognize that you can't get away, and something is getting ready to happen. I know folks preach not to instigate, don't let anyone think it's your fault, and don't be the aggressor. But when everything is telling you there is getting ready to be a fight, you need to get ready for it. I would not have let that guy get behind me so easily. That's the first issue. He seemed to be nearly running, so I am assuming they were already threatening him. One kick to the back of his head as he tries to climb himself and his baggy pants up the wall and you have one less to worry about. I think I could explain that action to the "reasonable man." If you act like prey till you get bit, don't be surprised if it's too late. At some point you need to send the message that this is going to end right here, one way or the other.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

It appears that the victim doesn't possess any hand to hand defensive skills with the exception of trying to block his face from kicks and punches. So, to answer the OP's original question, back to the basics. Ability (the other person/s has the power to kill or to cripple you), Opportunity (the circumstances are such that the other person would be able to use their ability against you) and Jeopardy (the other person's actions or words provide you with a reasonably-perceived belief that they intend to kill you or cripple you). It appears that all three clearly existed.

I would speed dial 911 and leave the line open while at the same time issuing a LOUD AND CLEAR verbal warning to my pursuers if they closed within 15-20 yards and it was obvious that their interest in me appeared to be threatening. If possible, I would try to give as much information as I could to the 911 operator as I continue to create distance between myself and my pursuers. I would try to find cover if possible. If they close within 10 yards and it's still obvious that they are after me they're going to be staring down the barrel of my .45 S&W. If they run, great. I hold my ground and try to improve my cover and finish my conversation with 911 and wait for LE while keeping my head on a swivel. If not, Boarding House Rules are now in effect. Wait for LE and meat-wagon while dialing my lawyer.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    What I mainly got out of this video is that a bunch of thugs did not hesitate to attack somebody even though it occurred in a CCW friendly state.

I can't run and can't fight,I would have to introduce them to Mr. Colt
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There may have been a good reason for the victim to have been where he was...when he was.
    Or maybe not.
    Long and healthy lives often involve making wise decisions about such matters.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

I live in Richmond and there are quiet a few thug area's you should not go alone after dark. The bad thing is one of the most popular colleges is right in the middle of the City and they have their own Campus Police along with the City Police and crime is still causing others to look to "other" colleges because of incidents like this. Had this video been of a Black kid getting swarmed by a bunch of good ole boy whites the video would make national news as a hate crime and Eric Holder would interject the Justice department to investigate this incident. It shows all those out there who think only hate exist against minorities need to wake up and smell the coffee as there is plenty of hate on the other side as well. Political correctness has no standing when your life is at risk. I wish that poor kid would have produced a firearm and shot everyone who tried to swarm him ofcourse the libtards would crucify him for protecting himself because of the skin color of the thugs.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    There is no way to be certain, but I would be willing to bet some money, that between my good nature and gregarious personality and my 92 that we could reach some amicable agreement that included my not getting beat to a pulp.

If not, then "THIS" as above.
    Yep.

I'm sorry, I'm supposed to "dress around my gun" and I'm supposed to carry pepper spray and I suppose "dress around" that, and then I've got to carry an ASP, and then a tactical pen, and be proficient at CQB, and then....

Well, look, I'm not going to make my life revolve around defending myself in any eventuality. There's too much living to do.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I do agree that he made a bad decision being where he was... when he was. He should have been carrying and the outcome would have been different.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links