Airsoft AR-15 convertible to 5.56?????

This is a discussion on Airsoft AR-15 convertible to 5.56????? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tonight on my local new station they are reporting on the fact that these "toys" can be easily converted into "a deadly assault weapon"!!! Is ...

Thread: Airsoft AR-15 convertible to 5.56?????

Tonight on my local new station they are reporting on the fact that these "toys" can be easily converted into "a deadly assault weapon"!!! Is this really even possible? What would the "con" be of this? You may have to buy some new parts, but they would have to be purchased through an ffl right?

My search fu stinks, but this topic has been covered extensively in the past when there was a shipment raided (or something of the sort)(my memory stinks as well )
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Administrator
    Man, your news station is about 6 months behind the times. This was a national story way back then. The jist of it was that some Chinese company was using the same forms and molds as a real receiver. I suppose it could be converted into a real firearm, but it would be considerable amount of work, and doubtful that the metals would withstand the abuse it would have to withstand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I searched their site and found an article from a year ago regarding a shipment uncovered in the port of Tacoma. The rifles were built by a Taiwan company and apparently the internals could be easily swapped with "machine gun parts", but they looked nothing like an airsoft rifle. They are airing this at 11 pm pacific so i gonna be staying up late the see what these clowns have to say.

I searched their site and found an article from a year ago regarding a shipment uncovered in the port of Tacoma. The rifles were built by a Taiwan company and apparently the internals could be easily swapped with "machine gun parts", but they looked nothing like an airsoft rifle. They are airing this at 11 pm pacific so i gonna be staying up late the see what these clowns have to say.

Without seeing the receivers first hand I wouldn't know if they could be converted into either semi or select fire which would require installing the auto sear in the correct position,and to withstand the abuse they would have to be made from the same polymers as the Carbon AR15's.As far as getting the full auto parts set you don't need to go thru a class 3 dealer,but possession of an AR15 rifle and a FA parts set even tho uninstalled will get you charged.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Perhaps they should buy one and convert it. Have a reporter or BATFE agent shoot it with no ears or eyes.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    A friend of mine is a big airsoft fan. He has a number of airsoft guns that really look and feel like the real thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the receivers were very near to real.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

....But I don't think the pot metal they use would handle the pressure of a live round...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I watched it last night and they took it into one of our local gun shops/range and interviewed the owner. Basically, he said that it looked very real and he field stripped it. Looking at the internals he said that it looked like you may be able
    to put real parts in it, then he said "i someone pointed this at me I would shoot them, it looks very real".

They let him work on the gun and try to swap the parts on it to make it fire a real cartridge. He tried and said that it couldnt be done.

ATF Ruling: Close enough. If it looks like a bird, if it makes a noise, then it must be a duck.

Reminds me of a guy that got nailed to the wall due to a weapons malfunction, or probably a bump fire.

Somebody at the range when it happened turned him in, ATF seized the weapon and kept firing it until they could get it to do it again (IIRC hundreds of rounds, different brands...), then called it a full auto and fried the owner.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Somewhere an idiot will try this and then be all upset when he blows his face off.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

This is old news over a year old.
    Your local news folk are behind the curve and.or have nothing new to talk about.

In other news: Obama wins election...Yes he can!

- : p
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sponsored Links