GOOD: Man defends home against 3 teens

This is a discussion on GOOD: Man defends home against 3 teens within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This was 9 months ago, evidently the fall out is over and the homeowner finally did an interview with the local news. http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/0...y-day-shooter/ Long article, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: GOOD: Man defends home against 3 teens

This was 9 months ago, evidently the fall out is over and the homeowner finally did an interview with the local news.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/02/0...y-day-shooter/

Long article, and I think there might be a web cast video of the interview as well.

Not sure what the rules are on posting the entire article...violation of copyrights??? Here's a snippet including the usual mother whining.

Suddenly, the three teens came running down from the second floor. Marcus Duran was carrying a loaded pistol. As he neared the front door, about five feet away from Kutchin, Duran brandished the loaded gun and aimed it at the homeowner. Duran was still inside Kutchin’s home.

“And I just reacted in a defensive stance and took a shot,” said Kutchin.

The round missed its target. Kutchin said he could see Duran’s pistol.

“I saw a gun pointed at me and I shot,” said Kutchin.

The second round found its mark, hitting Duran in the head. The two other teens fled. Kutchin, who has first aid training, tried to administer medical assistance to Duran who had fallen on Kutchin’s front stoop. But the teen was dead.

“There were some errors in judgment made on that night when the individuals entered my house. I’m not a vigilante,” says Kutchin.

“I’m a law abiding homeowner that happens to be armed,” said Kutchin, in his first interview about the shooting.

Asked if he would do the same thing again, Kutchin says he would.

The Denver District Attorney’s office cleared Kutchin of any criminal wrongdoing, ruling his actions were justified under Colorado law.

But across town, Marcus Duran’s mother, Cynthia Gonzales, is still questioning what happened that night.

“I don’t understand why he (Kutchin) couldn’t have done a warning shot or shot him in his leg. They didn’t fire shots. They were scared and running out when it happened,” said Gonzales.

Darrell Kutchin said there was no time for warning shots or shooting to wound.

“I saw a gun pointed at me and I shot, no time to think about shooting him in the leg. And if you fire a warning shot, you are putting your neighbors in harm’s way,” said Kutchin.

Besides said Kutchin, in the time it would take to fire a warning shot, he believes Duran could have shot and killed him.

“My Godson did wrong, but he didn’t deserve to die,” said Phyllis Chavez, Duran’s godmother.

“I don’t think it was fair the way he(Kutchin) shot freely. Do it in the air. Why was he aiming at them if they are running away? That’s the part I don’t understand,” said Chavez.

“It happened so quickly it was reactive, instinct,” said Kutchin.

He said there was no time to ponder options or deliberate.

“My life was in harm’s way. There’s no doubt in my mind if I wasn’t in the presence of mind to defend myself I wouldn’t be here today,” said Kutchin.
    Even in a cut and dried SD shooting, with a clear cut castle doctrine, the guy is still out $5k in legal fees, lost time dealing with LEO & prosecutors, and of course Homeowners insurance for damages and cleanup.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

This is the first time I have read an article like this and the comments at the bottom are %100 for the homeowner (at least at this time). That's impressive, especially for Colorado.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Not sure what the rules are on posting the entire article
    Generally speaking, no more than a paragraph. Then link to the original story. If anybody wants to read it, they can click on that link and read the story at the original source.

Then the people who actually posted the original story get some traffic, and that helps them out with advertising and stuff.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

When will people who have been in SD situations ever learn: Never, ever talk with the media. This is especially true in situations where a perp was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    When will people who have been in SD situations ever learn: Never, ever talk with the media. This is especially true in situations where a perp was killed.
    Gotta remember this was in May of 2010. He is finally in the clear, and immune from civil action.

I think it is good to get these kind of stories out to the public after the fact. Especially when the media does not paint it in a bad "Guns are evil" light.

The homeowner did everything by the book, clean cut and to the letter of the law. And it still took 8 months.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    This is the really scary part of the article:

But across town, Marcus Duran’s mother, Cynthia Gonzales, is still questioning what happened that night.

“I don’t understand why he (Kutchin) couldn’t have done a warning shot or shot him in his leg. They didn’t fire shots. They were scared and running out when it happened,” said Gonzales.
    How about "I am sorry my son was a scumbag armed robber and I failed as a parent"? Gives me the red ass...

First shot missed, second shot a head shot-pretty nice shot if you ask me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

If they did, then this post may very well have been BAD: Two separate homeowners shot during nighttime robbery, suspects still at large.

But that would be OK, because poor misunderstood Marcus is just going through a phase, and did not really mean to do it.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Classic...
    “My Godson did wrong, but he didn’t deserve to die,” said Phyllis Chavez, Duran’s godmother.
    Then perhaps you should have taught said godson to not break into someone's home and point a gun at them!!!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I'm just shocked it was a Taurus Judge.
    Lewis128 likes this.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    When are people going to realize - If you point a gun at someone - you might find yourself DRT. I'm not firing a warning shot to scare you off and I'm not firing a shot to wound you, I'm in fear for my life or for the life of my wife or daughter - and I will do what is required to definitively stop the threat you present.

Life is about choices. If you choose to invade my home and point a gun at me, you have also made the choice to risk having me deploy multiple rounds of 12 gauge #00, 9mm, 45 acp, whatever I have available, into your center mass (or whatever else I can target). Use your power of choice wisely.

Good for the homeowner. The shame is it cost him more than his deductible (actually the perp/perp family should have had to cover his cost but they likely don't have the resources).

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    I'm just shocked it was a Taurus Judge.
    Their not just for snakes anymore.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I have to say that the title is not really fitting (GOOD: ... ) since someone was shot and killed. A good story would be one where the threat was stopped and no one was killed... I agree that's it's better that the perp is shot than the home owner, but still....

Anyway, it seems like someone doesn't understand how how a gun is to be used in self defense:

If you have to fire your weapon, it will be to stop the threat. Firing warning shots is not justifiable.

It is good that it all worked out well for the homeowner in the long run.

When are people going to remove their head from the proverbial sand of denial and understand that personal responsibility for one's actions means just that? Thugs are thugs no matter and when they choose to be one, then consequences for their actions arise.

I hate it when the thug/robber/killer's mom or other says "They didn't deserve to die, they didn't do anything wrong." That just burns me to no end. If they were so "good" then why were they breaking into someone's home, armed with a handgun instead of not doing that?
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Their not just for snakes anymore.
    Well, not just for snakes (without legs) anymore...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Unfortunately"dedicated" news story to the one news station. Evidently the morning version aired an interview with the Denver DA in the case and was very positive about the whole incident (I did not get to watch it - relayed through the wife).

Anyhow the DA stated that since the "Make My Day" law was put into effect sometime in the 80's, there has been somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 cases total. The DA was also, for lack of a better description, offended at the name of the law. Supported it fully and felt that the law does not need to be changed, but moreover, that victims of these incidents [homeowner] should not have to bear the financial burden (legal fees, insurance and repairs/cleanup).

I am going to try to contact the newsroom and see if I can get text or links to the additional stories.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links