15 year old shot and killed, looks like he was a bad guy

This is a discussion on 15 year old shot and killed, looks like he was a bad guy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This happened not far from where we lived when we lived in Shelby County Tennessee. I've been keeping an eye on the news down there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old shot and killed, looks like he was a bad guy

15 year old shot and killed, looks like he was a bad guy

This happened not far from where we lived when we lived in Shelby County Tennessee. I've been keeping an eye on the news down there as we are trying to move back.

At first it was reported that a 15 to 17 year old was shot in a quiet suburb on the street in the afternoon. This is the original report:
    http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...hot-in-cordova

But today it is reported that the person (not identified) who shot the teen did so because the teen was committing a robbery. So, it looks like the kid brought his fate upon himself. Here is the follow up report:
    http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...fatal-shooting

The follow up report is pretty sparse on details and I'd really like to hear the whole story. But if the person who shot the kid isn't being charged with anything I think that pretty well says self defense shooting.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Interesting. It appears that he was shot in the back, apparently during a robbery. No charges filed. Hmmmmm
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    What no cries from Momma and the rest of the family about "Demario was a good church going boy. He loved everyone, including the neighbors dog" "He got involved with the wrong crowd, but was turning his life around!" Oh, yes, we can't forget. "Why did they have to kill him, why couldn't they have fire a warning shot, or just shot him in the leg!"

One less thug on the streets. Plus the state won't have to put out the money for the cost of a trial and housing him for a year or so.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Something of an update with an explanation as to why this was rules justifiable.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news...iable-homicide
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This is exactly why we have brought up the scenario in the past,it's possible in the time you take to pull the trigger in that fraction of a second the criminal may turn to run catching a round in the back instead of the chest.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Well, I can't say who is right or wrong, but they have a point. You can't convict someone of murder just because you think they maybe did it. You have to prove they did it. If the kid was a BG, then glad the shooter won his case.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Once things start, the stop switch takes a while to engage. Considering how quickly someone can turn around, and the fact that you can run away and fire a gun behind you; I generally don't jump straight to un-justified when someone is shot in the back. And yes, it's an interesting case. Sounds like multiple shots were fired too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Extreemly sparse on details. The DA in that article came accross, to me, like he wanted to bring up charges and not just explain away the lack of charges. Of course, the DA and the investagators have a much clearer picture than their showing us.

'Sounds" like a justified shoot.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

One fact is crystal clear, Demario won't be robbing anyone again.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The article refers to the robber as the "victim". This is routine with our PC media.

VIP Member
    More info on the story. While I understand the -DA's reasoning for not filing charges in the shooting. I don't understand no charges being filed against Jackson for at the least obstruction charges. Maybe the DA figures one thug shooting another thug isn't worth the bother.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2670285/posts

Teen killed in shooting was participating in robbery(TN)
    cordova.wmctv.com ^ | 7 February, 2011 | NA

Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 759 AM by marktwain

CORDOVA, TN (WMC-TV) - A 15-year-old Cordova teen who was shot to death last Thursday was killed while participating in a robbery, investigators said Monday.

Demario Burnett was found just after 3:30 p.m. Thursday, suffering from a gunshot wound, in front of a home in the 2600 block of Breezy Ridge Trail. Burnett was taken to Saint Francis-Bartlett, where he later died.

Monday, police said Burnett was participating in a robbery at the time he was shot.

"We don't think that he would ever be capable of doing something like that. Ever," Burnett's aunt, Tamika Broadnax, said Monday.

After the case was reviewed by the MPD's Homicide Bureau, and presented to the Shelby County District Attorney's Office, it was determined that no charges would be filed in his death.

According to police, 18-year-old Avian Jackson shot-and-killed Burnett. Investigators said Jackson agreed to buy a gun from Burnett for $130. But when they met up Thursday afternoon, Burnett put a gun to Jackson's head and robbed him.

Jackson told investigators he pulled his own gun and squeezed of five shots, hitting Burnett three times - once in the right arm, once in the right side of his chest, and once in the right side of his back.

He will not be charged with a crime, and has been released from jail, after police determined the shooting was "justifiable homicide."

Broadnax says she can't understand.

"I hope that someone is charged for murder," she said. "I don't think DeMarion would've done something like this, if he did, by himself. Something happened."

Initially, Jackson ditched the gun at a cousin's apartment. But his clothes matched those from a witness description of a man running from the scene. With an attorney present, he told investigators his side of the story the next morning.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Archer, thanks for posting that follow up as well. Looks like both of them, the one who dies and the one who did the shooting, were bad guys. At 18 years old, I would think that the shooter would be charged with under age possession of a hand gun and carrying a concealed weapon with out a permit. Tennessee law is clear on these points. One has to wonder why the DA has not charged him with that at least. And, since the shooting took place in the commission of a crime, i.e. the underage and illegal purchase of a hand gun, wouldn't that also be something that the shooter could be charged with?

A lot of unanswered questions in this case if you ask me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Archer, thanks for posting that follow up as well. Looks like both of them, the one who dies and the one who did the shooting, were bad guys. At 18 years old, I would think that the shooter would be charged with under age possession of a hand gun and carrying a concealed weapon with out a permit. Tennessee law is clear on these points. One has to wonder why the DA has not charged him with that at least. And, since the shooting took place in the commission of a crime, i.e. the underage and illegal purchase of a hand gun, wouldn't that also be something that the shooter could be charged with?

A lot of unanswered questions in this case if you ask me.
    I agree with a lot of unanswered questions.

I was under the impression that 18 was the minimum age for possession of a handgun in TN, but still not allowed to carry until 21.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

That might be correct now that I think of it. 18 to poses and 21 to get a permit. Still begs the question, if the 15 year old was selling the gun, obviously that isn't a legal purchase so is the gun stolen? If so, why isn't the 18 year old being charged with trying to buy stolen property? Something fishy is going on here if you ask me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mom ; didn't know where he was at 2 a.m., didn't know he had a gun, didn't know he had been doing drugs, didn't know he had been doing burglaries.....

Mom, you're opinion isn't counting for much at this point.... as obviously you didn't know much about anything your son was doing, where he was even at, nor your son.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links