Bad: Secret Service Agents shoots self in hip

This is a discussion on Bad: Secret Service Agents shoots self in hip within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We use the Safari Land Raptor level 3, and sometimes in the winter when I holster my weapon ( we secure our weapons before entering ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad: Secret Service Agents shoots self in hip

We use the Safari Land Raptor level 3, and sometimes in the winter when I holster my weapon ( we secure our weapons before entering various facilities to pick up Fed Inmates) my jacket has a split so the holster is outside and uncovered, but sometimes a piece of material will get in there and cause the weapon to bind. Ya gotta be careful!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    The flip side is back then, when revolvers and semis had hammers, you could always ride the hammer back down when reholstering. If the hammer didn't go back, the gun was not going off. Nowadays with the Glock type pistols, the margin for error is much smaller.
    Which is why I like exposed hammers! But since they carry the P229 that shouldn't have been the issue.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    The Sig P229 as carried by USSS has an exposed hammer.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

In addition, thumbing the hammer/slide in preparation to reholster should make it apparent that the hammer is back, requiring decocking.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I'm thinking somebody didn't decock before reholstering during a firing session.I'll bet he doesn't sit down on the job fer awhile
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Make him easier to stand at those standing assignments on his protection detail.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    But I watch a lot of guys get complacent about holstering a loaded gun - they always seem to be in a hurry when there is no reason to...
    I've also noticed this....I don't get it either. Quick on the delpoyment sure...but putting it back? While chambered? hmmmm

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    He doesn't have my sympathy for sure. And, I really do not care how much experience one has with guns or if he/she is part of some elite govt. entity. One gets careless, a gun mishap is bound to happen. I guess he isn't all that for now, is he(lol)?

What's with all these decocking comments? It shouldn't flippin matter. Keep whatever off the bloody trigger and it doesn't matter whether something has a "decocker" or a protruding hammer or any other possible configuration, nor does it matter whether it's a booger hook or a piece of clothing. I can unholster and reholster my loaded, non-exposed hammer firearm all day long and the darn thing just won't go off. I don't have the slightest clue what's wrong. The dependence on a decocking mechanism serves to jello the brain...<<<< Granted this opinion from a NON-LEO...
    Incidents like this make it that much harder for the rest of us to deal with anti nuts.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Not positive but I think the Secret Service carries Sig 229 possibly in 357 Sig. Maybe someone has a for sure answer.
    True. They carry Sigs. I don't know if they are all the same model though.

ETA: Oops late to the party. Next time I'll read a little more before typing.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    we are getting an increasing number of "off topic" threads posted to the "in the news" forum. So much so that it is beginning to become a general crime story repository that is really not the focus of this forum. If you come across news items that have some real application to concealed carry, open carry, successful (or unsuccessful) armed self defense please feel free to post them, but "general crime" stories, not associated with self defense in any way should be avoided. Likewise for stories of crime in countries other than the us.

While i appreciate that our members enjoy the forum and want to post items of personal interest regardless of topic, i believe that we are, over time, broadening the focus of the forum too much in including some of these topics. Please help us keep the forums' topics "on topic".
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links