Bad: Secret Service Agents shoots self in hip

This is a discussion on Bad: Secret Service Agents shoots self in hip within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is what happens when you get careless... http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...t,0,9688.story CAMARILLO (KTLA) -- One of Nancy Reagan's Secret Service agents accidentally shot himself in the hip ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad: Secret Service Agents shoots self in hip

This is what happens when you get careless...

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktl...t,0,9688.story

CAMARILLO (KTLA) -- One of Nancy Reagan's Secret Service agents accidentally shot himself in the hip on the eve of a weekend filled with celebrations for the anniversary of Ronald Reagan's birth.

The shooting occurred around 10 a.m. Friday morning at the Ventura County Sheriff's Department shooting range in Camarillo. According to sheriffs, the agent was putting his gun back in its holster when it accidentally fired. He was transported to a local hospital with a non-life threatening injury to his hip.

The agent, whose identity was not revealed, is part of the division that handles security for Nancy Reagan. The division had rented a portion of the shooting range Friday morning for regular training.

The Ventura County Star reported that the team was not training in connection with this weekend's celebration of Ronald Reagan's birth at the Reagan Library in Simi Valley.

A spokesman for the Secret Service agency said an investigation is underway to find out exactly what happened and prevent shootings like this from occuring again.

Secret Service agents are required maintain their firearm proficiency and undergo frequent training.

A spokesman for the Secret Service agency said an investigation is underway to find out exactly what happened and prevent shootings like this from occuring again.
    - I'd bet $1,000,000 that it had something to do with a finger and a trigger being too close together.

Either that, or givng him the best possible chance, he got a shirttail in the trigger gaurd during reholster....

But I watch a lot of guys get complacent about holstering a loaded gun - they always seem to be in a hurry when there is no reason to...

I bet your right. LOL

Whoops..... ND. No need to rush the re-holstering as Gabe Surez discussed last week in a post on the forum.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Poor guy . . . never going to hear the end of this. So much for not looking.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Whoops..... ND. No need to rush the re-holstering as Gabe Surez discussed last week in a post on the forum.
    Back in the early 80s it was practically unmanly for you to not holster your firearm with one hand. I can see the point about staying alert when reholstering but the mindset back then was rather extreme.

The flip side is back then, when revolvers and semis had hammers, you could always ride the hammer back down when reholstering. If the hammer didn't go back, the gun was not going off. Nowadays with the Glock type pistols, the margin for error is much smaller.

VIP Member
    I’ll bet he will be the butt of many jokes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

..and I bet you 10 to 1 on that bet it's true if he was reholstering a Glock!

Not positive but I think the Secret Service carries Sig 229 possibly in 357 Sig. Maybe someone has a for sure answer.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

That would be interesting...this article just made me think of the DEA guy who shot himself with a Glock at that gun safety demo...and now is trying to sue. I love my G19 but an inadvertent finger is gunna make it go bang every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Not positive but I think the Secret Service carries Sig 229 possibly in 357 Sig. Maybe someone has a for sure answer.
    Secret Service carries the FN Five-seveN.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by zip777 View Post
    ..and I bet you 10 to 1 on that bet it's true if he was reholstering a Glock!
    They issue Sig Sauer P229s....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Secret Service Special Agents do not/not carry the FN 5.7 but rather, as has been noted, the Sig P229 in .357 Sig. My best guesstimation is that he reholstered without de-cocking, and something (most likely his finger) got in the trigger guard.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Sorry, I totally said that wrong. The Secret Service DOES issue the P229 in .357 SIG, and the FN Five-seveN is considered a "companion piece." I'm not exactly sure in what capacity the Five-seveN is used by the SS, so I'm not sure why I even said what I said above...
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links