Off Duty St. Louis Sherriff Shot by On Duty St. Louis LEO

This is a discussion on Off Duty St. Louis Sherriff Shot by On Duty St. Louis LEO within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.kmov.com/news/mobile/Off-...115837784.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Duty St. Louis Sherriff Shot by On Duty St. Louis LEO

Off Duty St. Louis Sherriff Shot by On Duty St. Louis LEO

2. Remove Ads

If it all went down as the story describes, sounds legit to me. Sucks that the sheriff died but when you're off-duty, in a drunken argument while carrying a gun with no badge and a uniformed officer tells you to keep your hands away from the gun, you keep your frigging hands away from the gun.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    If it all went down as the story describes, sounds legit to me. Sucks that the sheriff died but when you're off-duty, in a drunken argument while carrying a gun with no badge and a uniformed officer tells you to keep your hands away from the gun, you keep your frigging hands away from the gun.
    yup

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Possible "suicide by cop" scenario? Animated, drunk and upset over a breakup, stranger things can happen.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Sad deal.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Agreed.

The choices we make, are the choices we make.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sad all the way around. If a uniform tells you to keep away from the gun, you do not reach for it. You do whatever they tell you and explain the situation after they have things well in hand.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Same type of incident occurred in Baltimore last year. Alcohol was involved in that one also.

http://www.wbaltv.com/r/15975936/detail.html
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

He knew better. Sad situation, but it goes to show why alcohol and guns do not mix, for Joe citizen, or Johnny law.

It seems ironic that one of the few times (statistically speaking) that an LEO hits his/her target it's another LEO.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcmb View Post
    It seems ironic that one of the few times (statistically speaking) that an LEO hits his/her target it's another LEO.
    A very good point.

They are known broadly for having low hit percentages, and making non-lethal shots to folks feet, buttocks and shoulders...But darn if it doesn't seem they always do make tight group Annie Oakley shots when it comes to blue on blue contact. Weird.
    I wonder if the deputy had verbally identified himself as being police (attempted...As any fool can say 'I'm a cop!') or not.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I wonder if the deputy had verbally identified himself as being police (attempted...As any fool can say 'I'm a cop!') or not.

- Janq
    +1 Janq. I am not a trained LEO,but as a citizen I do know that the first order of action in any encounter is to comply with the lawful command of the attending officer. Only a handful of people will ever know if the gentleman identified himself. I would venture that things would have been significantly different is compliance would have come first...Sad story for his family.
    Better to have and to hold, than to leave in the nightstand.....

Reaching for 'any' weapon when confronted by LEO's can be deadly. One would think that another LEO would already know that...alcohol (liquid superman) does strange things.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Agreed Doc.

Outside of being in training at a range/facility, the last thing I'd ever think to do would be to move my hands near a _weapon_ (the policemans view of a firearm) as anywhere.
    We'll never know what this man was thinking. All we can learn from this is to not repeat his same fatal error. : |

- Janq

Painful loss

Now his children are on TV asking for information. Doesn't look like the best PR job done by St Louis PD - they should be bending over BACKWARDS to provide his family details and assistance. Heck, they should be arm in arm with the family - spreading "blue love" until it hurts.

Doesn't matter the details - blue on blue should be a PR priority right now.

Respects to both affected families.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links