Bad : Stranded Motorist Robbed at Gunpoint

This is a discussion on Bad : Stranded Motorist Robbed at Gunpoint within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Too bad this motorist didn't have a handgun or some other type of weapon to defend himself with. It can happen anytime, anywhere as we ...

Too bad this motorist didn't have a handgun or some other type of weapon to defend himself with. It can happen anytime, anywhere as we all have seen. I hope they catch the two dirt bags, but probably not.

Gunmen rob stranded motorist
    February 12, 2011 @ 12:00 AM

The Herald-Dispatch

LUCASVILLE, Ohio -- The Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating an armed robbery that occurred on U.S. 52 near Ohio Furnace Road in Scioto County early Friday evening.

Thomas Lowe, of Sciotoville, Ohio, was working on his vehicle that had broken down along the side of the road just before 5:30 p.m. when two white males in a blue pickup truck pulled over onto the berm, according to a press release from the Ohio State Highway Patrol.

The two men approached Lowe and brandished a weapon before robbing him of money and other items from his vehicle. The suspects fled East on U.S. 52 toward Hanging Rock, Ohio. Lowe wasn't injured during the incident.

If anyone has any information, they can contact the Ohio State Highway Patrol by calling 740-286-4141

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/...79/No-Headline
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Robbed at gunpoint at 5:30 P.M. on an open highway? I'd say that that qualifies for any time, any place.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Robbed at gunpoint at 5:30 P.M. on an open highway? I'd say that that qualifies for any time, any place.

^^YEP^^^^^

Too bad he couldn't give them a plate # or something else to go on.

He should have tried to get them to finger his vehicle somehow for some prints, although sometimes hard to do.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

A very difficult situation to defend against.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Without a handgun and good luck, that is indeed a difficult situation to defend against. IT is one where handing over some money makes sense. It beats a 2 on 1 shootout or fight.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A very difficult situation to defend against.
    IMO, its seams like the easiest to defend.

If I'm on the side of the road and a car other than a police car or a tow truck pulls over then I will be yelling that I don't need no help and move it along. If the person or persons keep closing in then you should know what their all about.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Too bad he couldn't give them a plate # or something else to go on.

He should have tried to get them to finger his vehicle somehow for some prints, although sometimes hard to do.
    I bet ya they made this poor guy turn around and "not look" until they had driven away, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    IMO, its seams like the easiest to defend.

If I'm on the side of the road and a car other than a police car or a tow truck pulls over then I will be yelling that I don't need no help and move it along. If the person or persons keep closing in then you should know what their all about.
    This guy did so successfully...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...49&pagenumber=
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

Maintaining awareness while merely sitting on the side of the road is considerably easier than mainitaining it while actively working on a disabled vehicle.

In the other thread referenced I think that it may ahve been a robbery attempt, or more likely a sexual assault/kidnapping attempt as it appears that the susps were not aware of the males presence until he rose from behind his vehicle and confronted them.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Maintaining awareness while merely sitting on the side of the road is considerably easier than mainitaining it while actively working on a disabled vehicle.

In the other thread referenced I think that it may ahve been a robbery attempt, or more likely a sexual assault/kidnapping attempt as it appears that the susps were not aware of the males presence until he rose from behind his vehicle and confronted them.
    I think there are two factors at play that tend toward defeating situational awareness in this sort of incident. 1_ preoccupation with the task; 2_expectation that someone nice is going to stop to render aid, perhaps even an unmarked patrol vehicle.

And, the BG always is going to get the opportunity to draw first unless they decide to do some sort of interview to see if they think you are easy pickings. If they just stop, jump out gun drawn, you are behind the curve and in a bad situation. It then gets down to your (Guantes) favorite topic of DATD. BAD.

The Best Defense: Survival had an entire episode dedicated to just this sort of scenario on 2/1.

Agreed, a very difficult situation to defend against indeed; When defenseless as in being unarmed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links