Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement? - Page 2

Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement?

This is a discussion on Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye That's just the point I hope people don't forget. That's what would have to happen but without it that could ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    That's just the point I hope people don't forget. That's what would have to happen but without it that could do more harm than good. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to even worry about reciprocity, all states would be no permit but we all know that world is where the unicorns are kept too.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    YEP
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The state would have to include this in the law.

issue permits but not requiring them for residents in-state.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    The article specifically mentioned not removing the permitting process entirely because this maintains one's ability to carry in the other states SC has reciprocity with...

I was going to quote that specific line from the article, but as someone mentioned above, the entire article has now been updated...how annoying.
    Thanks for letting me know, I had even left the article open from when I originally had read it and saw no mention of reciprocity. Yes it sure is annoying when you turn around and they change the whole dang thing. Good luck to you all, both the Carolinas are in for a roller coaster ride this year.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just remember, if the state drops the permit program and lets anyone carry without one you will most likely lose the reciprocity with many or all other states that currently honor SCs permit.

It could be a very double edged sword.
    Not necessarily true. Here in AZ, we just passed "constitutional carry" (i.e., no permit required to generally carry concealed) but the CCW program is alive and well. The CCW was maintained for the additional carry privileges it grants, and for the reciprocity reasons you cite.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not necessarily true. Here in AZ, we just passed "constitutional carry" (i.e., no permit required to generally carry concealed) but the CCW program is alive and well. The CCW was maintained for the additional carry privileges it grants, and for the reciprocity reasons you cite.

Read post #10 of this thread.

One of the added benefits of Constitutional Carry, as I'm learning, is that it seems that while legal to carry without a permit many people take the training and seem to be more responsible with the trust given them.

They seem to realize that they have been given a great responsibility, and thus seek the training on their own instead of doing so because it's mandated by the government. That has been very encouraging from my perspective, as I've about lost all faith in my fellow man.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    NIS350ZTT, that is not true, there is no FFL required for a private purchase of firearms nor is there a requirnment for a 4473 form, its between two people with no paperwork
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Voted, good luck SC

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    If everybody is worried about loss of training, I would be all for mandatory gun training(saftey and usage) in all public schools.

I'm kind of against this but i'd love to see open carry legalized. I've come across a lot of people who can but probably shouldn't own firearms and definitely should not be carrying them. I imagine a lot of Plaxico Burress's around here. Have you ever seen someone at a pawn shop or gun shop handle a gun? Not fun...

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    If everybody is worried about loss of training, I would be all for mandatory gun training(saftey and usage) in all public schools.
    SC, especially in the low country, should probably focus on literacy, critical thinking, math, and science before firearms training.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links