Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement?

This is a discussion on Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A little ways down on the left under the picture... Yes 57% ( 131 votes) No 43% ( 100 votes) Total: 231 votes http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/16/1...concealed.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement?

Fire Mission: Poll - Should SC drop Concealed Weapons Permit Requirement?

A little ways down on the left under the picture...

Yes 57% ( 131 votes)
    No 43% ( 100 votes)
    Total: 231 votes

http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/16/1...concealed.html
    Kimber Tactical Ultra II, Kahr PM45, Kahr PM9, Kahr P380

2. Remove Ads

Just remember, if the state drops the permit program and lets anyone carry without one you will most likely lose the reciprocity with many or all other states that currently honor SCs permit.

It could be a very double edged sword.

I would hope that with this new bill they would honor GA permits. It seems the reason they won't already is because SC folks have to attend a class and get a permit (while GA residents don't have to attend a class). With the new bill, they not only wouldn't have to attend a class, but they wouldn't even have to get a permit. So I see no reason to continue dishonoring GA permit holders?

The South Carolina Sheriffs' Association opposes the measure and says things like background checks are needed.

Read more: http://www.thestate.com/2011/02/16/1...#ixzz1EF8ys6Fq
    Umm, they already check your background when you purchase the handgun... That wasn't a very intelligent comment by the SC SHERIFF'S ASSOCIATION.

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post

Umm, they already check your background when you purchase the handgun... That wasn't a very intelligent comment by the SC SHERIFF'S ASSOCIATION.
    Even on private sales?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Just remember, if the state drops the permit program and lets anyone carry without one you will most likely lose the reciprocity with many or all other states that currently honor SCs permit.

Did you read the article?

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    The way I read the article, the sheriiff's association was saying that the state needs background checks before some one carries concealed. That would go away if the permit was not needed.
    Last edited by phreddy; February 17th, 2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling

That can be fixed by allowing the state to issue permits but not requiring them for residents in-state.

The article has been updated and expanded. Good comments from the head of SLED. the opposite from the SC sheriff's association.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCleary View Post
    Did you read the article?
    Yup, sure did. Did you have a point or were you just curious?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    That can be fixed by allowing the state to issue permits but not requiring them for residents in-state.
    That's just the point I hope people don't forget. That's what would have to happen but without it that could do more harm than good. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to even worry about reciprocity, all states would be no permit but we all know that world is where the unicorns are kept too.

VIP Member
    This is indeed a double edge sword. I have a different concern, which I'm sure I'll take a lot of heat for here. However, I'm open to criticism that may correct my possible elitist thinking:

We have a significant thug population in my area. Not all of them are convicted felons yet. It seems that mostly decent & good folks get their CWP to carry, while these thugs meander about with their gat shoved in their pants and don't bother to get a permit, when in fact, there is no reason why they couldn't obtain one (I suppose the thought of doing anything legally doesn't cross their mind). The good news is that when a LEO nabs them without a permit, they become instant-felon and are in for a very bad time every time they get caught carrying in the future.

If we eliminate the permit requirement, all of these little thugs can now carry, and a LEO can't do a dang thing about it until said dirt-bag is caught red-handed doing what they do. I don't see how eliminating the back-ground checks and permitting process adds any freedoms to the people who are deserving of these freedoms?

Okay, hit me. I'm ready...

That's just the point I hope people don't forget. That's what would have to happen but without it that could do more harm than good. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to even worry about reciprocity, all states would be no permit but we all know that world is where the unicorns are kept too.
    I just looked at the bill on-line. It maintians the permitting process and allows for carying without a permit.

Yup, sure did. Did you have a point or were you just curious?
    The article specifically mentioned not removing the permitting process entirely because this maintains one's ability to carry in the other states SC has reciprocity with...

I was going to quote that specific line from the article, but as someone mentioned above, the entire article has now been updated...how annoying.

Even on private sales?
    Ya got me there. But, aren't you technically supposed to transfer the firearm using an FFL, even in a private sale (where they would then check your background)?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    The way I read the article, the sheriiff's association was saying that the state needs background checks before some one carries concealed. That would go away if the permit was not needed.
    As I said though, if you purchase a handgun from a dealer, you already have a background check performed on you.

So there would still be a class to attend, and a background check to complete? Would this still be free or would it cost? And if it costs, then what would be the difference (from before) other than you wouldn't get a laminated permit after you completed both?

Just trying to determine how this would be beneficial, and also how it would affect me. (as I travel through SC a few times a year)

The real benefit to you would be that fact that SC could recognize your GA permit. The bill permits SLED to recognize other states permits. Right now SLED is limited to reciprocity with other states that have similar training and permitting requirements.

State residents would be ble to get a permit at the same cost and requirements as the current law. State residents would not need the permit to carry concealed within SC.

One of the biggest issues with the bill as origianlly written was that it allowed people to bring guns on school grounds (in their car ony) without a permit. This contradicts federal law that requires a permit. So the state could be setting people up for federal charges.
    Last edited by phreddy; February 17th, 2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added comment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links