Good, CCW woman defends against dog attack in OKC

This is a discussion on Good, CCW woman defends against dog attack in OKC within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Bad: she had to go inside to get her gun Good: saved her dog and the next victims http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-...adlines_widget ------ Oklahoma City woman shoots, kills ...

Thread: Good, CCW woman defends against dog attack in OKC

Bad: she had to go inside to get her gun
    Good: saved her dog and the next victims
    http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-city-...adlines_widget
    ------
    Oklahoma City woman shoots, kills attacking dogs
    The mother of an Oklahoma County commissioner shot and killed two dogs while they attacked her son's dog in a south Oklahoma City neighborhood.

BY CARRIE COPPERNOLL ccoppernoll@opubco.com 5
    Published: February 18, 2011
    Charlotte Maughan was too flustered to find her gun, so she grabbed her husband's.

Charlotte Maughan stands in the street outside her home in Southwest Oklahoma City on Thursday, Feb. 17, 2011, where she shot and killed two dogs while they attacked her dog on Wednesday. Blood stains from the dogs has been bleached behind her. Photo by John Clanton, The Oklahoman ORG XMIT: KOD

MULTIMEDIA
    PHOTOview all photos

Oklahoma City woman shoots, kills attacking dogs
    “It's a 9 mm,” she said. “I had said to him, ‘We need to go to the range and let me practice with this gun.' I didn't know if I could shoot it. Well, I can.”
    She walked out of her southwest Oklahoma City home, told the crowd to step back and shot and killed two dogs attacking her family's dog.
    “I didn't know what else to do,” she said.
    Maughan was not cited, but the owners of the two attacking dogs were.
    Maughan, 60, said the family dog, Mollie, is owned by her son, Oklahoma County Commissioner Brian Maughan. The dog spends time at both of their homes and with a neighbor.
    Charlotte Maughan said she was walking Mollie across the street to her son's house when two dogs attacked.
    “I screamed,” she said. “I just dropped my purse. ... I picked up rocks and threw them at them. I kicked at them. Brian was doing the same thing. He went in the backyard and got rebar and hit them with that, and they still wouldn't budge.”
    Brian Maughan said it was one of the scariest moments of his life.
    “They shot after the dog, ripping her end to end,” he said. “The flesh (was) literally torn down to the bone.”
    The dogs picked up Mollie and dragged her through the street and other yards, Charlotte Maughan said.
    “Blood was coming out of her mouth,” she said, “and I thought she was gone.”
    Neighbors arrived and tried to help pull the dogs apart, Charlotte Maughan said. An older neighbor was swatting at the attacking dogs with her broom.
    “To witness that firsthand, it's the most helpless feeling,” she said.
    Maughan said she thought her dog would die, so she decided to get her gun.
    When she returned, the two dogs still were attacking Mollie. She killed one dog with one shot and the second with two.
    “They were no longer dogs to me,” she said. “They were a threat to me.”
    The two dogs that attacked Mollie were a bull terrier mix and a pit bull terrier mix, said Rodney Pesch, Animal Welfare Field Services Unit operation supervisor.
    Animal welfare officers picked up the deceased dogs, which were later identified by their owners, Pesch said. The dogs' owners, who live down the street from the Maughans, were cited for failing to confine their dogs and not having current rabies vaccinations for the animals.
    The names of the dogs' owners were not released Thursday.
    Brian Maughan said the event made him think about how vulnerable children or older adults would be to a similar attack.
    “What if it had been a human being?” he said. “That's just what was really scary about it.”
    Mollie underwent surgery Thursday, and the prospects are good, Charlotte Maughan said.
    Brian Maughan said his mother's actions likely saved his dog and possibly prevented injuries to neighbors.
    “These dogs were going to kill whatever they could get,” he said. “They were just out to kill something.”
    Charlotte Maughan earned her concealed-carry permit about a year ago, she said. She got the permit with encouragement from her husband after a rash of neighborhood robberies and break-ins, she said.
    Charlotte Maughan said she didn't know if she had the courage to fire a gun in self-defense.
    “I do know now that I could defend my family if I had to,” she said. “I didn't think I could.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-woma...#ixzz1EHy6aYDh

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
    Charlotte Maughan said she didn't know if she had the courage to fire a gun in self-defense.
    “I do know now that I could defend my family if I had to,” she said. “I didn't think I could.”
    It's a good thing to know.

Well for one people should keep their animals in their own yards, but for two I'm betting this isn't the first time they've been out and the animal control didn't solve the problem.

My own neighbor had a large pit bull, that is well mannered and a good dog as far as I can tell, but they don't keep him confined to their yard he roams the neighborhood and animal control KNOWS this and I have personally complained to them about it.
    Well last December they got a second, a puppy - that puppy led both dogs to kill 3 of my chickens. Now that it's February they also have a second puppy. Three unconfined dogs makes a DOG PACK.
    The animal control?? Why aren't they doing their job enforcing the leash laws and such? I'm not saying that my neighbors should be banned from having a certain breed, but they CANNOT be allowed to roam the streets!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

It is fashionable for residents of OK to take their unwanted dogs out in the county and turn them loose. One horse breeder had several horses torn up by maurading pit bulls. i got a call one day from a friend who told me their cattle were being chased by wild dogs. When i showed up two pit bulls came after me. They soon became deceased. i was attacked by a huge Samoyed while opening a gate: That dog came close to getting to me. It also quickly became deceased. The sheriff of this county encourages rural folks to take care of dog problems.

I think the Oklahoma County Commissioner Brian Maughan needed to encourage his momma to learn that gun BEFORE she needed it vice WHEN she HAD to use it.

Bravo Zulu on momma for taking the (first) steps AND taking care of business. Now get to the range and get a little training.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Best statement in that article...

“They were no longer dogs to me,” she said. “They were a threat to me.”

This applies not just to dogs but to humans too.

One moment it's Benji or that nice kid/man who shovels your walk from up the street.
    The next moment...Zombie, with the rage virus.

- Janq

"Sometimes that shark he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. And, you know, the thing about a shark...He's got lifeless eyes. Black eyes. Like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be living...Until he bites ya, and those black eyes roll over white and then..." - Quint, 'Jaws'
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    It is fashionable for residents of OK to take their unwanted dogs out in the county and turn them loose. One horse breeder had several horses torn up by maurading pit bulls. i got a call one day from a friend who told me their cattle were being chased by wild dogs. When i showed up two pit bulls came after me. They soon became deceased. i was attacked by a huge Samoyed while opening a gate: That dog came close to getting to me. It also quickly became deceased. The sheriff of this county encourages rural folks to take care of dog problems.
    The "3-S" solution works well - shoot, shovel and shut up.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsored Links