Colorado homeowner kills intruder.

Colorado homeowner kills intruder.

This is a discussion on Colorado homeowner kills intruder. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Out of Aurora, CO today. AURORA, Colo. -- A homeowner shot and killed a man who he said tried to force his way into the ...

Thread: Colorado homeowner kills intruder.

Colorado homeowner kills intruder. Updated.

Out of Aurora, CO today.

AURORA, Colo. -- A homeowner shot and killed a man who he said tried to force his way into the home Tuesday morning.

It happened in the 1700 block Fulton at about 8:27 a.m.

"The intruder used a window that was partially opened with an air conditioning unit to gain entry into the home and climbed inside," said Detective Bob Friel. "At that point he was confronted by the homeowner and the intruder was shot one time with a shotgun."
    According to Friel, the intruder pushed out the air conditioner to gain just before he was shot.

Police said the man was rushed to the hospital but died from his wounds. They also said the homeowner had been burglarized in the past.

The investigation into the shooting is continuing.
    Last edited by luv_jeeps; July 20th, 2006 at 05:09 PM.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dammed shame , but the homeowner shouldnt have issues in our state . Just hope he is ok with shooting the azzwipe .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I hate to see people die, I truly do.

Maybe the intruder would have left had merely been confronted with the armed homeowner.

But maybe not. He doesn't get the benefit of that doubt, at least not in my book.

He knew he shouldn't be there. He knew he shouldn't be doing what he was doing.

He got to assume the risk here for his behavior because his act of entering the home was unlawful. The homeowner did not initiate the encounter.

It's not up to the homeowner to assume the burden of determining whether or not the intruder is capable of inflicting harm or intending to do so.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    LOL I was misunderstood , my too bad was for the homeowner ( tho i never cheerlead a shooting ) Tho we had the original castle law here in Colorado , ours now needs updated a bit IMHO , and in the area this happened the homeowner is going to have to jump thro hoops due to our current statutes . I hope it works out ok .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Not totally sure yet.News says he my have been a victim several other times. Still under investigation. It MIGHT be cleared under the Colorado make my day law.

mik
    A guy was acquitted earliler this year in Colorado Springs under the "make my day" law after shooting into a car that was leaving his residence and killing the driver. The occupants had just left his house where one of them, a girl (yes, girl), had beaten him and he was afraid they'd come back and beat him again. They were driving away when he shot and he was, beyond belief, ACQUITTED. Maybe this guy can get a change of venue to the Springs if he has trouble in Aurora.
    Mike

Keep your nose into the wind and your eyes on the skyline

The homeowner is, IMHO, in the right. Too bad the BG did not have enough sence to stay at home.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    The investigation is continuing???
    You've got to be kidding. This should have been wrapped up in about 4 hours.
    So the poor homeowner stays on the hook and by now has hired a lawyer?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I don't know any of the details besides what is mentioned here in this thread----all I can do is try to put myself in the homeowners shoes. To me...there is no excuse for anybody forcing there way into my home. What could the intentions have been? Nothing positive comes to mind. I would have done the same thing. An aweful thing for the perp's family, but what would the alternative have been?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

The gene pool just got a little bit better.
    Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

Update from 9news.com earlier today.
    I believe in the end, this will be a clean shoot....IMHO.

AURORA - Police have identified an alleged intruder fatally shot by a homeowner on Tuesday.

Detective Bob Friel said on Thursday that 54-year-old James Edward Cannon had an extensive criminal history including assault. He was described as homeless.

Cannon died of a single gunshot wound to the upper torso of his body. He was shot after entering a home in the 1700 block of North Fulton Street through a window.

Cannon apparently pushed an air conditioner out of the window so he could get through.

Friel did not identify the homeowner. However, records indicate the homeowner is a man named Lawrence Kintz, who is listed as a staff member on the Rangeview High School website.

Arapahoe County prosecutors will decide if the shooting falls under Colorado's "make my day" law. The law allows residents to use deadly force when they have reason to believe an intruder might harm any occupant of the home.

Randytulsa,

In these instances one can never second guess, if you do you lose.
    Illegally entering my home removes all doubt. If I hesitate I may be injured or killed.

Don't get me wrong, I will avoid trouble but in your own home you have no choice. You must decide before you confront anyone what you are willing to do. Taking a life is something none of us wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    I hate to see people die, I truly do.

Maybe the intruder would have left had merely been confronted with the armed homeowner.

But maybe not. He doesn't get the benefit of that doubt, at least not in my book.

He knew he shouldn't be there. He knew he shouldn't be doing what he was doing.

He got to assume the risk here for his behavior because his act of entering the home was unlawful. The homeowner did not initiate the encounter.

It's not up to the homeowner to assume the burden of determining whether or not the intruder is capable of inflicting harm or intending to do so.

VIP Member
    I seriously dislike the fact that the victim's information (name & work location...if the press' due diligence is correct) just "had" to be part of the press release! Sheesh.

This lethal encounter reminds me of a similiar shooting at my old USAF duty location, San Angelo, TX....guy breaks into the bedroom window of a single woman during the cover of darkness......only to catch a single (fatal) round between the eyes from the woman's handgun. She was (rightfully) not charged.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links