Two brothers attack Sunderland Police Chief [Western, MA]

This is a discussion on Two brothers attack Sunderland Police Chief [Western, MA] within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Note: This was news among my local community yesterday. The station that was set upon is a combination police, fire and community center. The police ...

Thread: Two brothers attack Sunderland Police Chief [Western, MA]

Two brothers attack Sunderland Police Chief [Western, MA]

Note:
    This was news among my local community yesterday.
    The station that was set upon is a combination police, fire and community center.
    The police force is by all standards small and light. They have less than ten officers total half of which are FT.
    This began for them as a normal day like any other.

Anytime, anywhere, anyplace...Anyone.

~~~

Two brothers attack Sunderland Police Chief

By CBS 3 Springfield News

Story Published: Feb 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM EST
    Story Updated: Feb 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM EST

Surveillance video shows the two brothers, Kenneth and Patrick Jean-Babets walking into the Sunderland Police Department Monday afternoon, moments before they allegedly barged through the lobby door. That's when Kenneth attacked Police Chief Jeffrey Gilbert with a foot long butcher knife. His brother, Patrick attacked another officer.

Chief Gilbert says "He and I went down on the floor really hard. But, with my training I got out from underneath him and I got him detained."

Chief Gilbert say, the brothers had shown up at the department after their other brother was arrested on a minor traffic warrant and planned on helping him escape.

Chief Gilbert says "They are dangerous. When an individual comes in to assist his brother to escape for a simple warrant and then comes into a police department and wants to kill, which he said he did. He had a very large knife and he was attempting to kill me."

Among many others, the two brothers have been charged with attempted murder. Tuesday, they pleaded not guilty in Greenfield District Court. A long time friend of the brothers, Kyle Waldron sat in the courtroom for support.

Waldron says "They are three brothers who are bi-polar and schizophrenic and medicated living in a two bedroom apartment. Their parents have forgotten about them and they don't have anyone to support them."

Either way, Chief Gilbert says the men are a danger to society....

The full story along with video for the incident and interview of the chief
    Two brothers attack Sunderland Police Chief | CBS 3 Springfield - News and Weather for Western Massachusetts | Local News

A much more detailed account including blow by blows
    Brothers jailed in attack on Sunderland police: Chief knocked knife from suspect's hand during station brawl
    By ARN ALBERTINI, BOB DUNN and AMY V. TALIT Bulletin Contributing Writers
    Published on February 25, 2011
    Amherst Bulletin | Brothers jailed in attack on Sunderland police: Chief knocked knife from suspect's hand during station brawl

- Janq

P.S.
    The item to take from this is the mindset of the two criminals, and their biological situation.
    They are diagnosed as being what in the old days we used to simply term as being 'crazy' or the more kind soft term of 'off in the head'.
    Now these two fools thought to run this sort of effort against a police station, and they very nearly succeeded armed only with a butcher knife and chutzpah.

Think of how they might look at you or I as Joe Blow civilian, on the street or among our own home.
    They feel slighted that the police and Chief took in their brother...For he having actually committed a crime.
    Think how they might feel about you and how they may react to some item the perceive to be a slight.
    Imagine if you were their neighbor (Cliff Side is a major apt. complex in the area) or some person that happened to accidentally smudge their Puma as you walked by.
    I agree with the Chief of Police, these two have proven themself to be a danger to the public. Prison for them, buh bye.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

If it wasn't that the two officers were booking, I think that knife boy would be full of holes.
    Like I keep saying, watch out for dings.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    They watched too many re-runs of Dukes of Hazard.

A great example of how we should keep up our situational awareness at all times.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Distinguished Member
    I posted a smaller story about these guys over here: There is stupid and then there are these guys...
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

Waldron says "They are three brothers who are bi-polar and schizophrenic and medicated living in a two bedroom apartment. Their parents have forgotten about them and they don't have anyone to support them."
    Sorry, I don't buy this as a defense. There are plenty of bi-polar and schizo people out there, and many (if not most) are not violent. I don't believe having such conditions are an automatic excuse.

Anyway, glad this Chief knew what to do. How many Chiefs are out there, munching away on something, sitting behind a desk, not even able to tell you the last time they went out on the street?

Sadly, I believe these guys will probably get turned back out onto the street. How many felons who have *proven* themselves to be a danger get released?

I don't believe within context that Waldron (friend) was presenting this as an excuse, but rather as a reflection of what these nut bags life situation is.
    Clearly there is no excuse for their behavior.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

We started letting the "dings" out in the '60s... That's a shame.. but mental institutions in the '60s were little better than cattle pens... And now, there's no money to put these folks where they won't be a danger to society, or to themselves.

Regardless... I'm glad the Chief was able to handle the situation... Maybe they'll get real help, or at least meds... problem with the meds is they go off 'em and they're right back at it.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    We started letting the "dings" out in the '60s... That's a shame.. but mental institutions in the '60s were little better than cattle pens....
    Sometime around 1965 or 1966 I worked in one such place. Not good for the folks who were there. The word "hospital" certainly was laughable when used in that context.

However, today we have a much much larger population of mentally ill if we include the addicts, and I think we have a much much larger number of violently inclined people who back then were called, "criminally insane." Somehow we have to come to grips with these problematic individuals while retaining respect for civil rights and justice and fairness. We are far from getting it.

Mmmmm...
    Their parents have forgotten about them and they don't have anyone to support them.
    I sense some support in their future, and most of it will be leaning over a bed frame.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Imagine if you were their neighbor (Cliff Side is a major apt. complex in the area) or some person that happened to accidentally smudge their Puma as you walked by.
    Janq, are you a Chris Rock fan?

If a brother steps on your sneakers at a movie theater, let it slide... Ain't no use going to jail for 20 years because someone scuffed up your Pumas

Links