Tactical surprise in Philly

This is a discussion on Tactical surprise in Philly within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is hysterical . . . but also points out that Philly's restrictive policies leave its residents with limited options for defense. Thank God, this ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is hysterical . . . but also points out that Philly's restrictive policies leave its residents with limited options for defense. Thank God, this one worked out for the victims. And as an added bonus, the idiot robber ended up with a self-inflicted head wound.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/15055113.htm

Customer helps foil store heist
    Philadelphia Daily News ^ | Mon, Jul. 17, 2006 | KITTY CAPARELLA & REGINA MEDINA

There's no shortage of heroes in Gomez Grocery in East Germantown.

Yesterday about 12:15 p.m., a tall, 190-pound gunman walked in and announced: "This is a stickup!"

With 15 customers inside, the 23-year-old gunslinger locked the door of the store on Walnut Lane near Baynton Street, said Det. Curtis Matthews, of Northwest Detectives.

"The man turned around and you could see his gun, pointing at the [customers,]" said a 15-year-old customer, who was buying a smoked turkey sandwich, but didn't want to give her name.

"I got down and started shaking real hard," she added.

The gunman jumped on the freezer next to the cash register and pointed the gun at store owner Eddie Gomez, who was behind the counter, she said.

A quick-thinking patron, Thomas Santana, 66, then grabbed the gunman around his legs from behind - in a "bear hug" - as he stood on the freezer with his back to the customers, said Matthews.

Gomez came from behind the counter and helped Santana, 5-foot-4, wrestle the 6-foot-1 gunman to the floor, said Matthews.

Startled, the gunman fired two wild shots, shooting himself once in the head - the bullet entered and exited his head. Still, he wouldn't give up his gun, Matthews said.

So, Santana grabbed a nearby jar of Mott's applesauce off a shelf and slugged him four times in the head.

"Finally, the guy passes out," said Matthews. "There's blood everywhere - on the floor, all over." Meantime, the 15-year-old girl and her cousin had fled to the kitchen with another man and woman and closed the door. "I started crying and praying and stuff," the girl said.

Several minutes later, the girls peeked out the kitchen door and saw police. The shooter was being taken out the door on a stretcher.

The gunman, whose name was not released last night, was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center where he was in stable condition after being treated for head injuries.

He is expected to be charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, simple assault, attempted robbery, reckless endangerment and weapons violations.
    LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Lead Moderator
    sad no one or several had a CCW on them. A fitting end to a robbery though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Can you carry in the city of Philadelphia? I thought they had some kind of law different from the rest of the state.... can't remember for sure.
    Too bad the robber didn't shoot himself a few more times in the head, like before he went in the place.

We need to ban the assault applesauce!
    -Biker

Lead Moderator
    Guess they were lucky not to car jack a CCW holder. might have turned out alot worse for em.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Phila. laws for carry are the same as the rest of the state. There's a pre-emption law on the books that says local authorities can not make stricker laws than the state.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Assistant Administrator
    Can you carry in the city of Philadelphia? I thought they had some kind of law different from the rest of the state..
    They sure are trying hard to escape the pre-emption state statute
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    The gunman, whose name was not released last night, was taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center
    That's hilarious! They couldn't have taken this "genius" to a more perfect place!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Man,

Screw the G21 I'm carrying, I'm going to see if I can get a holster that will hold me one of those jars of applesauce.

If I use it in a SD situatin, and then eat it while waiting fot the cops to show up, is that tampering with evidence?

All jokes aside, Sounds like he got what he deserved.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    "We need to limit the number of apples in a jar of applesauce to a maximum of 3. Unless you are in California, in which case it should be banned. This situation in Philidalphia has proven that Motts and its assualt-style jars are a presenting us with a clear and present danger. I want to advise all parents to lock-up their jars of applesauce or place one of our 'lid locks' on them. If we don't take precautions now, we will have people throwing applesauce at each other in the streets. God forbid anyone carry one in their pockets.... then who knows what might happen."
    ~Dianne Feinstein (D - California)

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo
    "We need to limit the number of apples in a jar of applesauce to a maximum of 3. Unless you are in California, in which case it should be banned. This situation in Philidalphia has proven that Motts and its assualt-style jars are a presenting us with a clear and present danger. I want to advise all parents to lock-up their jars of applesauce or place one of our 'lid locks' on them. If we don't take precautions now, we will have people throwing applesauce at each other in the streets. God forbid anyone carry one in their pockets.... then who knows what might happen."
    ~Dianne Feinstein (D - California)
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

JD
    Administrator
    In the applesauce debate...does a refridgerator count as viable means of keeping your applesauce safe and out of the hands of children? And does Whirpool make a refer that is fireproof and lockable? I can't let my apple sauce get into the wrong hands, it would be pandamonium!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Only if your fridge has at least one locking mechanism that only you have a key/combination for.

lol

Applesauce = head injuries. And that after shooting himself. It just was not his day.

I love it! Another great story. Santana gets extra style points for using food as a weapon.

This is even better than the time a purse snatcher got a face full of hot fudge for his efforts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links