Man shoots at fleeing thief, not charged

This is a discussion on Man shoots at fleeing thief, not charged within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have not seen this posted yet. Shooter won't be charged: Man who was wounded driving away faces 2 counts, including grand larceny | The ...

Thread: Man shoots at fleeing thief, not charged

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

I have not seen this posted yet.

Shooter won't be charged: Man who was wounded driving away faces 2 counts, including grand larceny | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

Man catches thief breaking into his truck. Man goes inside gets hangun and shoots 5 rounds at thief fleeing in his car. Sheriff says it is not chargable based on 1866 state law.

2. Remove Ads

I like it; good to know Va is not the only state that will allow people to protect thier homes and possesions...................

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Shooter won't be charged, but that doesn't mean what he did makes sense. He grazed the guy once out of 5 shots in what was described as a neighborhood. Lucky the other 4 didn't do harm to somebody or something else. Pretty risky when one isn't in danger of grave injury or death, and the shooter wasn't at risk for either. The Sherrif found a law that allows it -good for the sherriff.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I would err on the side of caution in a situation like that; you just can't be certain where every round will go.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I believe the homeowner got lucky. Apparently the neighborhood is having some bad times. I think the sheriff is trying to make a statement to the bad guys. However, he may be setting a bad precedent that could endanger others.

GM
    I do not think that shooting like that is a good idea at all, he could have killed innocent people.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Yeah, grab a rifle instead.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

The law he is referring to is an 1866 law that grants residents arrest powers in certain situations. It gives them the power to arrest felons and thieves at night "by efficient means as the darkness and the probability of escape render necessary, even if the life of the person should be taken."

One less dirtbag on the streets. Car burglaries in the area will probably go down now.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I salute the good Sheriff who chose not to charge the home owner; may the sheriff himself receive the same mercy if he fires at a fleeing felon. Here's a prime case of 'It really does matter where you live.' because in some places you would be hung by your entrails on a post if you shot at a fleeing criminal, even if he had just murdered a family member.

Good. It's the right decision, if indeed no innocents were at risk. That's ideally what should be. Of course, to take such a position depends completely on the direction of fire, the proximity of others, and the laws in that state.

Sheriff says it is not chargable based on 1866 state law.
    If the 1866 law is still on the books in 2011, and if no other statutes were violated ... fine. I'd like to think that this same person would be charged in the same situation would be charged if innocents were placed at undue risk (ie, if the "neighborhood" meant 10ft between homes, and occupied homes as far as the eye can see).

I, too, would like to see far more places recognize, so long as innocents are not put at risk, that doing whatever we can against crime is worthwhile and the right decision. We should all be behind this same concept, instead of having the temporarily elected people continually fighting the citizens and their right to protect themselves, their families, their property.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not knowing the layout of the neighborhood there is no way of knowing what kind of back stop he had. It is possible that he did not endanger anyone but the BG when he fired. If that is the case I have no problem at all with it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Links