Federal agents ordered to allow illegal firearms purchases in Arizona

This is a discussion on Federal agents ordered to allow illegal firearms purchases in Arizona within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Senior BATFE Agent John Dodson has told CBS News that, acting under orders from superiors, agents have not only permitted illegal firearms transactions to take ...

Senior BATFE Agent John Dodson has told CBS News that, acting under orders from superiors, agents have not only permitted illegal firearms transactions to take place in Phoenix, they have actually videotaped those transactions, as part of an operation specifically intended to gather data on firearms illegally purchased in the US and subsequently used in crimes committed in Mexico.

One e-mail indicated that subjects of the investigation purchased 359 firearms during March (2010) alone, including multiple Barrett .50 caliber rifles. As might be expected, the weapons involved have shown up at crime scenes in Mexico.

No arrests have been made. There is no indication that any arrests are anticipated.

When a number of agents protested to supervisors they were reportedly told that if they didn't like it they were in the wrong line of work, maybe Maricopa County jail would hire them for $30,000 per year to serve lunch to inmates.

Agent Dodson's career is now in question since he has spoken out publicly. An investigation by Senator Grassley has resulted in no response or release of requested documents from BATFE or the Justice Department.

I offer no comment on this news.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

GM
    This is only the beginning.

Here is the link:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/....shtml?tag=pop
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I am not usually one to lean toward conspiracy theories, but this has somehow got me thinking along those lines. Let's see, it goes something like this:

The president of a bankrupt backwater of a third world nation needs to deflect attention from rampant crime and at the same time make certain his citizens can freely cross into another country so they can work illegally and send money home to support their economy. So he comes to the US and lectures our country on the fact that it is our gun laws that are the root of his problems so as to deflect attention from the illegal immigration issue. He meets with the US President who does not want to do anything about undocumented future democratic voters and also hates all gun ownership. The US President needs an excuse to reinstate the assault weapons ban and also avoid immigration issues so he orders his workers to do everything possible to "prove" that assault weapons are going to Mexico. BATFE agents allow illegal gun sales so that weapons end up in Mexico and can be traced to crimes, making front page headlines in the US. US President calls for gun control laws thereby claiming to be tough on crime and claiming border enforcement is not the real problem.

Too improbable, never mind...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I some how fore see that they are just going to start letting absolutely anyone go buy a gun. Pretty soon everyone is going to be armed and lots of people are going to die. Every illegal that comes across the border is going to be toting and we are gonna see some ****.

Then, all the sudden our government is going to say "see what happens when everyone carries a gun!" and just frickin ban everything. Every liberal d-bag will jump on that "ban" Wagon so fast i dont think we will be able to do anything about. Personally, i think things are getting out of our control. Flame on...

I don't know about any conspiracies, but it definitely looks like a set-up
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The whole ATF plan scaled beyond a few weapons looks just plain stupid to me. I wish I thought they were smart enough to have a big conspiracy but I don't. This is just another example in a long line of examples of government buracrats who are too clever by half.

Tracing a few guns, like five or 6, maybe a dozen, might make some sense, especially if they made some big arrests. But 2500 bought by the same few folks making repeated transactions? And keeping it going when not learning anything more? That is just stupid.

There are a lot of stupid bureaucrats. Unfortunately some of them are in jobs where their stupidity gets people killed.

The only other credible possibility is the folks were bribed to do it. Stupidity or corruption? Take your pick. My vote is for stupidity.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    The whole ATF plan scaled beyond a few weapons looks just plain stupid to me. I wish I thought they were smart enough to have a big conspiracy but I don't. This is just another example in a long line of examples of government buracrats who are too clever by half.

Tracing a few guns, like five or 6, maybe a dozen, might make some sense, especially if they made some big arrests. But 2500 bought by the same few folks making repeated transactions? And keeping it going when not learning anything more? That is just stupid.

There are a lot of stupid bureaucrats. Unfortunately some of them are in jobs where their stupidity gets people killed.

The only other credible possibility is the folks were bribed to do it. Stupidity or corruption? Take your pick. My vote is for stupidity.

Fitch
    I couldn't agree more. Bureaucratics at their finest. This is a problem in every branch of our government, from local, to state, to the feds. The ATF is no different.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I am not usually one to lean toward conspiracy theories, but this has somehow got me thinking along those lines. Let's see, it goes something like this:

The president of a bankrupt backwater of a third world nation needs to deflect attention from rampant crime and at the same time make certain his citizens can freely cross into another country so they can work illegally and send money home to support their economy. So he comes to the US and lectures our country on the fact that it is our gun laws that are the root of his problems so as to deflect attention from the illegal immigration issue. He meets with the US President who does not want to do anything about undocumented future democratic voters and also hates all gun ownership. The US President needs an excuse to reinstate the assault weapons ban and also avoid immigration issues so he orders his workers to do everything possible to "prove" that assault weapons are going to Mexico. BATFE agents allow illegal gun sales so that weapons end up in Mexico and can be traced to crimes, making front page headlines in the US. US President calls for gun control laws thereby claiming to be tough on crime and claiming border enforcement is not the real problem.

Too improbable, never mind...
    Winner!

They're creating a trackable statistic to be used as ammunition (stupid pun intended) during the next go-round of gun legislation.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

TVJ
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The spokesman for that Arizona office was pushing for more laws to block multiple "assault weapon" purchases in gun stores "near" the border. Now "Gun Walker" comes out?

BATF justifying their budget (increases), got a lot of people killed at WACO and now a Border Patrol agent from Michigan is dead when his bean bag bullets went against an AK. Why do we keep electing people that appoint these big thinkers? People in authority who have not earned it with experience. rant over.

This is REALLY ugly and it's gonna get a LOT uglier before the whole truth comes out me thinks.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Politically speaking.... letting some guns go across the border, then using them to argue banning the sale of them when they show up being used in crimes in Mexico, is not something I would put past some people doing .....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links