The 21-year-old Mexican girl who took a job as police chief? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on The 21-year-old Mexican girl who took a job as police chief? (MERGED) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many of you probably remember the extensive thread on her a while back. No one else in her small Mexican town would take the job ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 21-year-old Mexican girl who took a job as police chief? (MERGED)

Many of you probably remember the extensive thread on her a while back. No one else in her small Mexican town would take the job as previous officials had been beheaded. She said she would focus not on fighting the cartels, but on building up the community.

Many of us had high hopes, but little faith that she'd make a difference. We were worried the cartels would get to her and her naivete would be the end of her, and we were almost right. Apparently she told city officials she was coming to the US for a short trip for medical attention for her son, but has not returned by the day she said and has been fired. Rumors have been circulating that she was becoming targeted by increasing death threats and is seeking asylum in the US.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...fleeing-to-u-s
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    If this article is correct (since it is on Yahoo, I might believe about 20% of it), she knew what she was getting into from the start. She can't just tuck her tail and try to hop the border, now. People in that country need to start standing up for themselves or it is never going to get any better down there. I hope this girl gets things straightened out, though. I would hate to see her become another victim of her mob run country.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    CNN is also reporting on this news story here:

Mexico chief fired amid reports she fled for safety - CNN.com

This sure does seem awfully convenient for her. Young, unwed mother and University Criminology Student takes police job, then just 4 months later is able to seek asylum to come live in USA.

Sure sounds like a win - win for her.

According to the article though, asylum is normally only granted when an individual is being threatened, attacked etc. by their government. Since it's the cartels doing the threatening it's iffy.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

She may have been crazy like a fox....took the job to achieve political status and guarantee poticial asylum in the US...without having to hop the border illegally or wait for immigration process.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    She may have been crazy like a fox....took the job to achieve political status and guarantee poticial asylum in the US...without having to hop the border illegally or wait for immigration process.
    That may be a bit of a stretch but if it's true and she has that kind of guts and innovation to her credit she just might be an asset here.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    I note that the USG turned down the asylum request of a male police chief a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    CNN is also reporting on this news story here:

Mexico chief fired amid reports she fled for safety - CNN.com

This sure does seem awfully convenient for her. Young, unwed mother and University Criminology Student takes police job, then just 4 months later is able to seek asylum to come live in USA.

Sure sounds like a win - win for her.

Hey at leasst she's doing it legally, that's got to count for something.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Senior Moderator

She didnt last long...

Mexican chief, 20, abandons her post, gets fired

We had a discussion here of a young woman that became a Police Chief in a town that was dominated by two different gangs that were in a battle for control of the town.

Its a shame that it didnt work out, but it's not suprising really.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I give the kid some credit, at least she tried to step up to the plate.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    I cant fault her for that. At least she gave it a shot. Unfortunately, her decision to step up wasn't reality based.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sounds like she was smart. Get asylum and never have to even show up for the job.

The last Police Chief was about 22 yr old woman who disappeared and was killed.

Let's start a "be a Police Chief in Mexico for a day " campaign for them.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Hey at leasst she's doing it legally, that's got to count for something.

I don't know, but this is not something that I am willing to accept de facto. ABC News has reported that they never were able to get get any interview with her while she was serving as police chief, as she was never there when they called, and the staff could not even predict for them when she would be in. So did she really even ever make an honest effort at this job? I'm not sure of that.

I just did some checking, and I can find no College or University anywhere in Mexico even remotely near her city that offers a degree in Criminology. And why would someone who is just a student, and with no actual degree, be offered a job as a police chief?

According to the New York Times, a Texas state human rights ombudsman by the name of Gustavo de la Rosa Hickerson is investigating this case and trying to locate her to help her come to the USA legally. But he told the Times that he has been unable to talk to her, as no US government officials know where she is at currently. So it sure as heck does not sound like she is currently here legally to me.

It bothers me greatly that no one in the US media has ever actually been able to talk to this woman and interview her. Did the US press simply swallow these reports whole, and never verify anything?

This story just does not add up to me. It never really made any sense to me at all from the get go. And now it makes even less sense, in my opinion.

There is a fishy smell in my nose. It is quite strong.

And why would someone who is just a student, and with no actual degree, be offered a job as a police chief?
    She wasn't offered the job per se. No one else would take it because the previous officials had been beheaded.
    My blog

TOF
    I don't know, but this is not something that I am willing to accept de facto. ABC News has reported that they never were able to get get any interview with her while she was serving as police chief, as she was never there when they called, and the staff could not even predict for them when she would be in. So did she really even ever make an honest effort at this job? I'm not sure of that.

I just did some checking, and I can find no College or University anywhere in Mexico even remotely near her city that offers a degree in Criminology. And why would someone who is just a student, and with no actual degree, be offered a job as a police chief?

According to the New York Times, a Texas state human rights ombudsman by the name of Gustavo de la Rosa Hickerson is investigating this case and trying to locate her to help her come to the USA legally. But he told the Times that he has been unable to talk to her, as no US government officials know where she is at currently. So it sure as heck does not sound like she is currently here legally to me.

It bothers me greatly that no one in the US media has ever actually been able to talk to this woman and interview her. Did the US press simply swallow these reports whole, and never verify anything?

This story just does not add up to me. It never really made any sense to me at all from the get go. And now it makes even less sense, in my opinion.

There is a fishy smell in my nose. It is quite strong.

Do you realy trust the Media as much as your comments indicate?

There have been innumerable law officers over the years and even Police Chiefs that did not have Criminal Justice Degrees. Some without were better than some that did have.

Since you are so deep into academia tell us when the first Criminal Justice course was available at an accredited university in the US.

The young lady was gutsy if nothing else and a large measure of that is what resulted in the USA.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links