Man shoots himself during CCW Class

This is a discussion on Man shoots himself during CCW Class within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Missouri Man Accidentally Kills Himself During Gun Safety Class - St. Louis News - Daily RFT Man shoots himself during the range portion of his ...

Thread: Man shoots himself during CCW Class

Man shoots himself during CCW Class

Missouri Man Accidentally Kills Himself During Gun Safety Class - St. Louis News - Daily RFT

Man shoots himself during the range portion of his CCW training, though it says he shot himself while doing holster drills with his weak hand, which is not a requirement for the MO CCW permit.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I can't believe the insensitivity of the A%# writing the article.

A horrible thing to have happen, devastating no doubt to the suviving family members, and this anti-gun moronic buffoon

Has to go and compose the article with his own idiotic twist.
    What a fool.
    This from article;

And here we thought concealed carry was supposed to make guys like Seymour safer?

But, hey, at least Seymour didn't put the gun to his head and pull the trigger as a way to test the safety. That would be just Looney.

Why was the guy NOT using what he was accustomed to is beyond me.

If the guy was not used to semi-autos, why did someone loan him one??

Why can't people get these ingrained into their brain,BEFORE firing weapons is beyond me.

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
    RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
    RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
    RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

In this case Rule #2
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

yeah

I was a little offended by the writing as well, hope this guy isn't reading the eulogy.

Here's a 'little' better article on it .

Very tragic and expensive. This could get ugly for the instructor.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The writer indicates this has become "a disturbing trend"...

But he presents no other data...how many other shootings like this have happened???

One is not a "trend".....
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

This course should not be trying to teach people to manipulate loaded firearms with their non-dominant hand. That is an advanced training measure which should be reserved for people with more advanced training with firearms. Not a beginners CCW class. Tragic. Senseless.

This seems akin to teaching racing or drifting in a beginners drivers ed course....

EdC
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    The writer indicates this has become "a disturbing trend"...

But he presents no other data...how many other shootings like this have happened???

One is not a "trend".....
    The author linked to an incident in 2009, where a Missouri man (last name "Looney") shot himself in the head while teaching his girlfriend about gun safety. Hardly a trend, but there was one other incident.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    This course should not be trying to teach people to manipulate loaded firearms with their non-dominant hand. That is an advanced training measure which should be reserved for people with more advanced training with firearms. Not a beginners CCW class. Tragic. Senseless.

This seems akin to teaching racing or drifting in a beginners drivers ed course....
    YES True, even the Wilson Combat class does not go there until the advanced section after you have mastered the first two, and aware gun safety is part of your brian!!!! every day every time safety; then you advance not in the basic CCW class............ very sad stroy the writer is a jerk......

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

A horrible thing to have happen, devastating no doubt to the suviving family members, and this anti-gun moronic buffoon

What a fool.

+ 1, Agreed.... I actually emailed the writer and said the following.....
    I just wanted you to know something. I am appalled by your lack of sensitivity regarding the poor fella in your story. I know it's his own fault and everything, but I'm sure the gentleman has family members that are deeply mourning his loss, your insensitivity in reporting the story the way you did could only add to their grief and dismay. I guess at this point I'll just add that; let's hope you live to a ripe old age and no accident ever befalls you so some news hack like yourself can hear about it and make light of it like you did this poor gentleman.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; March 11th, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I am assuming somebody lent him a Semi Auto firearm due to similar rules in Tx,where if you qualify with a revolver you can only carry a revolver,but a semi auto allows you the ability to carry either one
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The article posted by goldshell states that the course required the man to shoot a revolver and an automatic pistol to complete it.

Where was the instructor ?

Terrible........

And the writer is obviously some LW Jackass............

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by oneshot

What a fool.

Quote[gottabkiddin;
    + 1, Agreed.... I actually emailed the writer and said the following.....

I just wanted you to know something. I am appalled by your lack of sensitivity regarding the poor fella in your story. I know it's his own fault and everything, but I'm sure the gentleman has family members that are deeply morning his loss, your insensitivity in reporting the story the way you did could only add to their grief and dismay. I guess at this point I'll just add that; let's hope you live to a ripe old age and no accident ever befalls you so some news hack like yourself can hear about it and make light of it like you did this poor gentleman.

^^^^Good job, I think I'll do the same!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

The first author is a fool and let his agenda set the tone for his article. Careful, your agenda's showing.

That said, the RSO at my CCP class kicked a guy off the range for doing something similar. He had already showed very poor gun handling skills and had been warned. They moved him and put an RSO right by him to watch. The guy had trouble with the gun, and pointed it at his chest while trying to manipulate the slide. The RSO grabbed his hand and the gun, putting his hand between the hammer and slide. They cleared the weapon and told him to leave.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Yeah, in Missouri we are required to show basic proficiency with a revolver and a semi-auto. There are absolutely no requirements for shooting from a draw, nor are there any weak side fire components to comply with the state's instructional guidelines. If he was indeed in a basic CCW class, the instructor should have his teaching accreditation revoked. Although in all honesty, I can't really see how you could have time in a basic CCW class to even get into such topics at the level of actually being live on the range practicing them. I'd almost bet that he was either in some other kind of class, maybe one that fulfilled the CCW requirements in addition to some sort of defensive hand gunning, or he wasn't doing that as part of the class.

Links