Purse snatched in broad daylight with many witnesses, yet no one helped

This is a discussion on Purse snatched in broad daylight with many witnesses, yet no one helped within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 'Social loafers' fail to take action during mugging - Vallejo Times Herald "We were yelling, 'he grabbed my purse!, Please stop him!, Stop him, please! ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Purse snatched in broad daylight with many witnesses, yet no one helped

'Social loafers' fail to take action during mugging - Vallejo Times Herald

"We were yelling, 'he grabbed my purse!, Please stop him!, Stop him, please! Please!," Mullen said. "We passed at least a handful of people who could have done something but didn't -- grown men who were fully capable of running after and stopping someone.

"But they just stood there and looked at us like we were stupid. I don't know."

Lasso him with a CCW sash!

'Bout the best I could do is trip him and sit on 'im till somebody calls 911. Least I could do is call 911. Not gonna pull a gun over a purse snatching.

It's not like everybody just ignored it...
    There was a man who tried to enter the chase, but couldn't leave his child...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

And what would you have people do?

How should they get involved?

Should they risk their lives for someone else's property?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Frankly, chasing down a purse snatce could get you killed, many use knives to cut purse straps, when I catch up with him then what? Call 911, be a good witness. I m certainly not going to draw my weapon and give chase.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    I really wish more women would understand that carrying a purse is one MAJOR thing that BGs take into consideration when looking for victims. It is also one of the most easily rectifiable problems that potential victims can address.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    And what would you have people do?

How should they get involved?

Should they risk their lives for someone else's property?
    Exactly. Some people live in a movie state of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and if someone did act and injured the purse snatcher...

"You didn't have to do that!!! It was only property!!

Dammed/Dammed.

Life isn't the movies and she's probably not going to sthup you for returning her purse.

So, I'm not interested in the deal, thanks.

No thanks, I probably could not catch a twenty year old rabbit anyway.

The woman let go of her purse when the susp growled at her, what would they do if they caught him and he growled again?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Pull out your Concealed Carry Badge and yell stop...................works every time.....................NOT!!
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Tough lesson to learn but the only person that is there 24/7 to take care of your safety and well being is you.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Over 25 years ago, I was at a Bart station (train/commute system for our area) and we witnessed an older Asian woman, about 4"11" , around 90 lbs, about 50 years old playing tug of war with a thug who was about 6 foot tall and weighing over 200 pounds. He had a posse of 4 with him, watching and sniggering. I said WE witnessed because there were were about 30 or 40 people around, who didn't say or do anyting. I YELLED at the Asian lady, "Let it go! That guy may KILL you!" The lady, the perp, his crew all looked at me (I was about 30 feet away), then she let go, and the BGs walked away with the prize. I helped the lady up, guided her to a phone (only rich people had cell phones back then), waited with her for the cops to arrive, gave my contact info and statements, and left.

There is a middle ground, gentlemen. You do not have to play superman, but to ignore or look at the victim like she was crazy? Give me a friggtin break.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Frankly, chasing down a purse snatce could get you killed, many use knives to cut purse straps, when I catch up with him then what? Call 911, be a good witness. I m certainly not going to draw my weapon and give chase.
    +1! Call 911. Be a good witness. No one else came forward after this particular incident.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Sorry, but I'm not risking my life for someone purse. If they had grabbed someones kid I would have ran them down but not a purse.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

This is not a defending life situation. If the BG has the purse and is running way, the wise thing is to be a good witness. I have always said I would never draw my weapon to prevent property from being taken. I'll only do so when someones life is being clearly threatened. No one has to die in a purse snatching. My wife is one of those women who stills likes to carry a purse. I have told her that if someone wants to snatch it, let it go (she never carries cash, and we have protection from fraudulent use on the cards). The results of someone successfully snatching he purse are minimal compared to the possibililty of loosing her life over it's meager contents.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Another good example for pepper spray. She probably can't get a CCP. So it would be good for her. Unarmed BG robbing someone is a good candidate for marinating with pepper sauce too. Totally dependent on the circumstances, but this looks like a good candidate for using spray.

It's also a bit of the "boy who cried wolf" going on here too. Too many kids playing stupid games, too many punked shows, too many what would you do shows. It's just harder to tell these days if anything going on is really what it seems. Especially if you don't see the issue start, and they are usually over pretty quick.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links